It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fahrenheit 9/11 To Be Free in Rental Stores.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
wOO!!

While on his 60 city "Slacker Uprising Tour," Oscar-winning filmmaker Michael Moore is joining forces with video store operators in an effort to get as many Americans as possible to see the film before the election. Video stores across the country will be waiving the usual rental fee for "Fahrenheit 9/11," beginning on October 26. A recent Harris poll showed that 44 percent of Republicans who have seen the film gave it a positive rating. "It isn't possible to view this film and come out saying you are voting George W. Bush," stated Moore.

Moore is currently on a 60-city tour to the 20 battleground states to rally non-voters and slackers, America's majority, to give voting a try, just this once. He's offering clean underwear and Ramen noodles to slackers, which has Republicans in his home state of Michigan calling for his arrest.

Moore is appearing on college campuses, arenas, stadiums and field houses. Nearly all venues hold between 5,000 and 15,000 people, with students -- historically the largest block of non-voters in presidential elections -- admitted for free at most events.

www.michaelmoore.com...

This rocks. Go out and get f911 when you can and watch it. Tell friends about it too.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
well i hate to dissappoint moore, but plenty of people i know walked out of F-9/11 realizing the movie is little more then a propaganda piece filled with half-truths and outright lies. if moore wants to sway as many voters as he can with dellusions of conspiracy then i suppose this is the easiest country to do it in.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
That's freakin' awesome. I'm going to see him speak tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Oh my God talk about propaganda, if he can't get you to buy it, he sell his side for free!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Im going to show my whole family the freebie movie. YAY

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Moore is currently on a 60-city tour to the 20 battleground states to rally non-voters and slackers, America's majority, to give voting a try, just this once. He's offering clean underwear and Ramen noodles to slackers, which has Republicans in his home state of Michigan calling for his arrest.

I don't know how they handle elections in Europe, but in the United States bribing people for votes is illegal. Also, 'vote swapping' across state lines is fraud. Both are unethical and dishonest.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Funny where are all the cries of unfair when Sinclair was going to broadcast the Kerry piece? What a bunch hypocrites.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Well, this medium is DVD/Video and requires a person to have a phyical motive to watch the movie. With the Sinclair movie, the person who signs up for cable is not given a choice for the specific channel(s) and must ultimately watch another channel even though they are paying for the Sinclair broadcast at the same time.

I think there is a big difference in what is going on. A person who pooks up F 9/11 wants to watch it anyway, versus paying for Sinclair even though you don't want it. But also, you pay for channels you don't watch and don't want to watch all the time.

So, either none of them are at fault or Sinclair moreso than F 9/11. I'd go with that neither are at fault for what they are doing. Even though I don't approve.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
a propaganda piece filled with half-truths and outright lies.

Freudian slip meaning Bush administration?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Cool! I go get me as many as I can and keep my house warm this winter! With the rising cost of fusl and utilities, I reckon that Moore is doing a good deed after all! Free fuel!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Interviewed by a very feisty Paula Zahn last night,,,i take it shes for Bush.

Sinclair Fires Critic of Plan to Broadcast Anti-Kerry Film
October 19, 2004
By: Howard Kurtz
Washington Post
www.independent-media.tv...

If only other reporters had the guts to stand up like that but we all know that will not be happening anytime soon.

There is no such thing, at this date in the world's history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it.
There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the street looking for another job.

If I allowed my honest opinion to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone. You know it and I know it. And what folly is this - toasting an independent press? We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance.

Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."
John Swinton - New York Times - New York Press Club

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Well, this medium is DVD/Video and requires a person to have a phyical motive to watch the movie. With the Sinclair movie, the person who signs up for cable is not given a choice for the specific channel(s) and must

I have never bought that. When people have complained about Howard Stern, we have the free will to change the channel. Or better yet grab a good book

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
"It isn't possible to view this film and come out saying you are voting George W. Bush," stated Moore.

Wanna bet?

Think I'll go to the local Blockbuster with a few friends and grab all the free copies we can. And return them on Nov. 3. Just like a liberal would do.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I agree with Jamuhn on this: Neither side is wrong per se, but I don't agree with it.

I don't like the idea that a propaganda piece can influence the election. I don't entirely know what the Sinclair show is about, other than it doesn't make Kerry look very good. While having not seen F9/11 I've definitely seen and read enough Moore, and have heard so much positive and negative about it to understand it's an opinion film. I think Moore makes a lot of valid points, backed with good facts. However, he makes a lot of points backed with false facts coupled with plenty of tear jerking theatrics (speaking in terms of his other films).

The point can be made that much of what either candidate says amounts to propaganda too, I understand that. But at least that propaganda is coming out of their mouths.

If either the Sinclair show or F9/11 free rentals influence the election to any degree a scary precedence will be set. Imagine future elections being decided by who has the best film made for them. Left of right you shouldn't think this is good!

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Well, this medium is DVD/Video and requires a person to have a phyical motive to watch the movie. With the Sinclair movie, the person who signs up for cable is not given a choice for the specific channel(s) and must ultimately watch another channel even though they are paying for the Sinclair broadcast at the same time.

I, too, think that's nonsense.

Physical motive? You can turn the channel, or turn the TV off. No one is being forced to watch the Sinclair anti-Kerry film. You can even listen to the radio, read a book, or go outside!

Also, the whole point of the uproar over the Sinclair anti-Kerry film was that it was going to be put on network TV affiliates... which are free.

[edit on 10/20/2004 by ThunderCloud]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Yea ThunderCloud, and FredT, I'd appreciate if you read my whole post instead of picking out the first sentence. I basically said the exact same thing you did.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
With as much money as he has already made from it, it would be nice if he were able to get it shown on broadcast TV. Then i would get a chance to see it.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   
You gotta hand it to him; the man is resourceful. Nice going, Mr Moore. Don't let the 'man' keep you down.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
"It isn't possible to view this film and come out saying you are voting George W. Bush," stated Moore.

Is that so Mister Moore? I walked out thinking even if what he says is true, the way he portrayed the whole thing is very bias and not fitting as a 'documentary'.

There should be a 'Celcius 9/11' - a version of the movie done without the rubbish.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Funny where are all the cries of unfair when Sinclair was going to broadcast the Kerry piece? What a bunch hypocrites.

Fred, you are so funny,
. How can it be "unfair", Moore's spending money traveling all over to speak , and not "Lying", whereas, Sinclair is using his stations and "Lying", stating that it is "NEWS" (this so-called-movie) in order to legally air it on TV.

Here's something I got emailed to me today.

Please sign a petition to help stop Sinclair!
Click this link---> STOPSINCLAIR.ORG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell Sinclair Broadcast Group not to air right-wing propaganda.
StopSinclair.org Latest News

On October 15, StopSinclair.org presented a petition of 80,000 signatures to the main Sinclair headquarters in Baltimore, MD. A crowd of petition signers congregated in front of the office to tell Sinclair to STOP its blatantly partisan practices. News media from across the country covered the event.

$9,900,000: Sinclair's illegal in-kind contribution to the Bush campaign.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1 USA Today story on Sinclair
Sinclair Broadcasting takes a beating
By David Lieberman and James Cox, USA TODAY
Sinclair Broadcasting (SBGI) continues to feel heat from Wall Street as the company's 62 television stations prepare this week to air Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal, a documentary critical of Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's Vietnam-era activities.
Shares closed Monday at $6.49, down 55 cents since Friday � and down 12% since Oct. 11, the first day of trading after the Los Angeles Times disclosed Sinclair's plans.

Lehman Bros. cut its 12-month price target to $9 from $10 as analyst William Meyers noted in a report that airing the documentary "has no upside and only multi-dimensional downside" for the company � for example by alienating advertisers and regulators.

But that's not Sinclair's only business problem � nor its only experience with controversy.

Sinclair's financial woes were highlighted Monday in J.P. Morgan's decision to initiate coverage with an "underweight" rating that indicates it is expected to under-perform its peer group.

"In our conversation with management, we detected substantial frustration with the company's stock price," analyst Barton Crockett says. Sinclair's stock is down 56.7% year-to-date compared with the S&P 500's rise of 0.2% for the year. He adds that Sinclair may consider trying to go private but would be hindered by its debt.

Among the decisions that raised the ire of many investors and public-interest advocates:

� Since 2002 Sinclair has produced and distributed costly news and mostly conservative-opinion segments, called News Central, about national and international affairs for stations' local newscasts. While Sinclair describes the package as a cheaper way to offer news, analysts question why its small stations need to air news at all.

� Also related to news, in at least 11 regulatory filings last year and this year, Sinclair blamed the Iraq war for $2.2 million in lost ad revenue. Sinclair's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission say the Iraq conflict prompted advertisers to cancel or forced stations to pre-empt ads for news.

� Until last summer, Sinclair has vigorously opposed the transition to digital television. The company said it wanted a technical standard that would make it easier for homes to receive over-the-air signals on indoor antennas. But critics said Sinclair put its interests ahead of the country's, and angered regulators, by trying to put off the expense of converting to digital TV.

� Sinclair has an ongoing battle with Jesse Jackson's Rainbow/PUSH Coalition. The group has asked the Federal Communications Commission to rescind some Sinclair station licenses and keep it from buying more. The group says Sinclair used a minority-run company it controls to improperly create duopolies � ownership of two TV stations in a market � in cities such as Oklahoma City and Dayton, Ohio.

In a seeming counterattack, Sinclair has asked a Georgia court for permission to review videotapes submitted in a lawsuit against Rainbow/PUSH by a former employee.

� Investors also challenged Sinclair's decision in 2002 to invest $20 million in Summa Holdings, an auto dealership controlled by CEO David Smith. This year Sinclair said it would make no additional investments in Summa.

Sinclair didn't return calls.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join