It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paper-based Computing Tech. - Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Paper Computing Technology

Here's a new type of paper display that can can be use to draw, fill in, erase, and more. An example of use is being able to collaborate with artist from different parts of the globe, for Google Docs, etc.

At the University of Tokyo, the Naemura Group is developing paper computing technology, which can automatically erase, copy and print hand-drawn sketches on paper.

The paper is coated with a photochromic material, which changes color when it absorbs light, and a DMD-driven UV projector with a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels is used to print the image onto the paper.

"The idea is to do computing on paper. But in the future, we'd like to enable several people to create one document, like with Google Docs, actually using real-world paper while far apart. We'd also like to enhance the rendering that's possible through collaboration between people and computers. For example, by giving more detailed access than you get by hand, and enabling you to draw large areas at once."

edit on 30-10-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 31/10/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

Cant watch the vid at the moment but that sounds amazing, I can see many uses for this

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I'm technically clueless. What's the difference between drawing on paper (in this technology) and drawing on a tablet?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I'm technically clueless. What's the difference between drawing on paper (in this technology) and drawing on a tablet?

Do you know what the difference is between paper and a tablet? =] Paper is well -- paper; thin, cheap & disposable. A single tablet cost in the range of hundreds to thousands of dollars. This new technology will allow for editable & reusable paper for document sharing, faxing, art collaborations etc. Eventually tablets/computers may be as thin, or thinner than paper -- and even as cheap; at which point this tech would probably be considered obsolete.

Until then.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Dear Raelsatu,

Thanks for your reply, I told you I'm not technologically literate. If I understand it correctly,

As well as using a camera and computer, this system uses a laser and UV light, . . . The pen for sketching uses Frixion thermo-sensitive ink, . . .The paper is coated with a photochromic material, which changes color when it absorbs light, and a DMD-driven UV projector with a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels is used to print the image onto the paper.

So, to use the paper technology you need a computer, paper, a camera, a laser, a UV light and projector, and special ink.

To use the tablet, you need . . . a tablet?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Dear Raelsatu,

Thanks for your reply, I told you I'm not technologically literate. If I understand it correctly,
So, to use the paper technology you need a computer, paper, a camera, a laser, a UV light and projector, and special ink.

To use the tablet, you need . . . a tablet?

With respect,
Charles1952

Firstly, you asked me what the difference was between the two; and well the difference is apparent. Apart from the tech demonstration itself, some people may prefer to work with paper -- as opposed to a pen on a tablet screen. I've done my fair share of writing on paper, and a couple times using a screen; I personally found the screen frustrating (not a professional tablet such as Wacom). If you're asking whether or not it's more practical, that I cannot say. It would appear a tablet is the better route if you want a single device that works independently. However, this tech specifically references paper-based Google Docs; so the point is to take the document sharing onto a different medium.

I believe the system itself includes the computer, camera, and projector. Similar to a laptop that includes a webcam. There's paper, which is reusable. And finally the ball-point pens cost around 2 dollars per. So it seems the only real cost that comes into play is the system itself. I don't know what the pricing for that will be, but I presume they wouldn't come up with the idea if it wasn't a viable alternative.

That said, what I'm really waiting for is the paper-thin computers & displays, immersive VR, and another jump in processing power. We already have new technology being released that includes mass-produced virtual reality headsets (Oculus Rift), combined with mm precise motion tracking (LEAP) that is going to revolutionize quite a bit. There's also much research being done successfully into sophisticated haptic feedback, which can make a VR experience even more realistic. Eventually down the road we'll have holographic displays & perhaps a few other types.

With this new nanotechnology age upon us I think we'll be seeing big changes within a shorter time-span.
edit on 30-10-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Dear Raelsatu,

Thank you for your patience in answering me. Technology and I are not best friends. I was only looking for information, which you've kindly supplied. Thanks.

With respect,
Charles1952

join