It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA was founded on Christianity, Deal With It

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Have the America people forgotten the United States of America was founded on Christianity? Seems to me alot of people have. We have had several cases in court about whether or not it is constitutional to have "God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, have a public prayer before High School Football games, and have the 10 Commandments on Display in front of State Court Houses. Below is an e-mail i recieved that has a few facts about the United States and religion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
DID YOU KNOW?

As you walk up the steps to the building which houses the U.S. Supreme Court you can see near the top of the building a row of the world's law givers and each one is facing one in the middle who is facing forward with a full frontal view ... it is Moses and he is holding the Ten Commandments!

DID YOU KNOW?

As you enter the Supreme Court courtroom, the two huge oak doors have the Ten Commandments engraved on each lower portion of each door.

DID YOU KNOW?

As you sit inside the courtroom, you can see the wall,
right above where the Supreme Court judges sit,
a display of the Ten Commandments!

DID YOU KNOW?

There are Bible verses etched in stone all over the Federal Buildings and Monuments in Washington, D.C.
DID YOU KNOW?

James Madison, the fourth president, known as "The Father of Our Constitution" made the following statement:
"We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

DID YOU KNOW?

Patrick Henry, that patriot and Founding Father of our country said:

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ".

DID YOU KNOW?

Every session of Congress begins with a prayer by a paid preacher, whose salary has been paid by the taxpayer since 1777.
DID YOU KNOW?

Fifty-two of the 55 founders of the Constitution were members of the established orthodox churches in the colonies.
DID YOU KNOW?

Thomas Jefferson worried that the Courts would overstep their authority and instead of interpreting the law would begin making law . an oligarchy ...
the rule of few over many.

DID YOU KNOW?

The very first Supreme Court Justice, John Jay, said:

[Unable to display image]
"Americans should select and prefer Christians as their rulers."

How, then, have we gotten to the point that everything we have done for 220 years in this country is now suddenly wrong and unconstitutional?

It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore I have a very hard time understanding why there is such a mess about having the 10 commandments on display or "In God We Trust" on our money and having God in the Pledge of Allegiance. Why don't we just tell the 14% to Sit Down and SHUT UP!!! or go back to their country to live.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do find this last statement harsh but the 14 percent need to just Deal With It. I know we have freedom of religion in this country but know that this country, that lets you praise your own God, was built on Christianity.

To be honest, i still have my questions about the begining of life on earth but i also understand that the country i live in was built on the beliefs of Jesus Christ. That being said, i don't mind seeing the 10 Commamndments on Display and i don't care the money i spend everyday has "In God We Trust". It is part of American History.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
They (the Puritans) came here for religious freedom.

The United States as a govt. was started by the Masons.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The church must not influence the laws or the Government.

It wasn't founded on christianity, it was founded by christians. Theres a big difference.

Did you bother top check if any of these "facts" are true? It smells of one of those "christian reinforcer" emails that spout things.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Dick Cheney is a christian who loves a lesbian.

OH MY GOD STOP THE PRESSES!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
DID YOU KNOW?

That if our founding fathers wanted us all to practice religion, they would not have written the VERY FIRST CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT.

So worship whoever you like, just don't impose your beliefs on anyone else, or try and use your beliefs as a reason to justify discrimination against anyone else.

Tesla is completely right (well dunno about the Masons part, I don't get into all that stuff
)

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It is true Antipolitrix,

People came to this country to exercise their freedom of religion, our founding fathers make sure that it was not one particular religion.

And yes I agree that our country had "God" in mind when they stablish the goverment, but they made sure is was fair and balance.

[edit on 19-10-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
The USA was founded BY Christians (& masons), not ON Christianity. In fact, if you really read into the Founding Father's papers other than selecting a few lines out of context, you will see they were quite worried about the possibility of laws being passed that impose religious morality upon the populace. The danger, as they saw clearly, is that one particular sect will pass laws in favor of their brand of morality and condemn all others. The Founding Fathers saw this, as the Catholic-Protestant wars (not to mention the Inquisition and the travesty that was the Salem Witch Trials) showed quite clearly what can happen when a religious power becomes a secular one.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
yes, but through the centuries, we have become "adulturated"....allowing the Native Americans to incorporate such unbiblical doctrines as the peyote religion into their new found faith and such..... and imported the "heathen" buddhists, muslims, ect.......mostly for our economic gain!!!......and well, now it's time for us all to face the fact that hey, we are a multi-religious nation and we must take measures not to offend those who are of different faiths.
For those who don't like that fact, well, I guess you could build a time machine and try to go back and warn our ancestors, simply point out how many times in the Bible that God warns the Isrealites to keep themselves separate from all the other races...

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Funny,The White Camelia Knights of the Ku Klux Klan has the same post. I guess they want to get back to the ideals that this country was founded on, like slavery!

Somebody should tell those guys. America has changed, for the better.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Did you bother top check if any of these "facts" are true? It smells of one of those "Christian reinforcer" emails that spout things.

Yep, this is a quote from one of "those" emails that float around and never seems to die out. Still, I do believe that most of these points are actual facts. (Some are slightly out of context). My favorite is the 10 commandments etched in stone on the Supreme Court wall. I never understood how they could pass judgment to remove them from other courtrooms when it occupies such a large place in theirs.

[edit on 19-10-2004 by dbates]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
yes, but through the centuries, we have become "adulturated"....allowing the Native Americans to incorporate such unbiblical doctrines as the peyote religion into their new found faith and such..... and imported the "heathen" buddhists, muslims, ect.......mostly for our economic gain!!!......and well, now it's time for us all to face the fact that hey, we are a multi-religious nation and we must take measures not to offend those who are of different faiths.
For those who don't like that fact, well, I guess you could build a time machine and try to go back and warn our ancestors, simply point out how many times in the Bible that God warns the Isrealites to keep themselves separate from all the other races...

Considering the Native Americans had their own traditions, rules and restrictions regarding peyote and other substances long before the first European set foot on what would become U.S. shores, it seems rather silly to say the law has become "adulterated" by allowing such practices.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
yea... the church and state together would not necessarily be a good thing. for an extreme example, read 'the handmaids tale' by margaret atwood. bad mojo

just believe what you want, such is a little thing we call freedom.

dfh out.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
DID YOU KNOW?

That the phrase "Under God" wasn't even part of the original Pledge of Allegiance but added later?

DID YOU KNOW?

That over time, many other religions are now represented in America?

DID YOU KNOW?

That people may be getting tired of getting preached at on sexuality and morality by pediphile priests?

DID YOU KNOW?

That the original settlers were largely victims of religious persecution, and so wanted to ensure that no one religion is integrated in their new government?

DID YOU KNOW?

That despite all of their great deeds, the majority of the founding fathers were slave masters?

DID YOU KNOW?

That todays problems are COMPLETELY different than those faced by the founding fathers, as are their solutions.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
yes, but through the centuries, we have become "adulturated"....allowing the Native Americans to incorporate such unbiblical doctrines as the peyote religion into their new found faith and such

Ahemm, this country and lands were the natives american lands, now dawnstar, if you are not a "native american" then you are an inmigrant because your "ancestors" came into this country in a boat, stop complaning.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
They adulterated their own religion with it.....just to gain a foothold in the reservations is the way I see it. And, well, what I was trying to point out is that our founding fathers just weren't being too biblical in their ways by inporting the people to work on their railroad, ect.....not when these people weren't christian.....they were doing the equilvalent of letting "Satan" in through the front door, according to their own beliefs and tennants....of course the mighty $$$ will always win out...but, well, now a century or so later, why are we griping that we have to be a little on guard not to offend those who don't follow the christian doctrine? We were very willing to let them in, there wasn't a string attached saying that they had to become christian was there....we accepted them and their religion...so, now..the christians can deal with the facts.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Thomas Jefferson worried that the Courts would overstep their authority and instead of interpreting the law would begin making law . an oligarchy ...
the rule of few over many.

Jefferson's feelings concerning opression of any kind are well known. He worried about any group or individual having too much power.

However, I fail to see how including Jefferson in this makes sense. He was an opponant of including religion in government.

BG

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Did you know

This is just a cut and paste and half the information is BS?

Heres the link

www.snopes.com...

It just another urban legand

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Sorry Antipolitrix you are busted

Did you ask permision to duplicated the material?

Don't worry I think that the material is good and it will sure bring a lot of diferent opinions.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Did you know that in 1796 the newly founded United States entered into a agreement with the Barbary States known as the Treaty of Tripoli?

Article 11 from that treaty reads as follows:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The Treaty of Tripoli
Signed by John Adams

"As the government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen [Muslims] ... it is declared ... that no pretext arising from religious opinion shall ever product an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries....
"The United States is not a Christian nation any more than it is a Jewish or a Mohammedan nation."
-- Treaty of Tripoli (1797), carried unanimously by the Senate and signed into law by John Adams (the original language is by Joel Barlow, U.S. Consul)

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.
-- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1781-82

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true. ---BUDDHA

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join