It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything's a smokescreen!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The media is absolutely infantile, and so follow the presidential candidate and incumbent.

Someone please tell me...

Why is a flu shot shortage an election issue?

Why is Mary Cheney's gayness an election issue?

Why is it that every time some new story comes along about something that has nothing to do with anything important, that both would-be presidents (Bush not included, he's a wanna-be at best) jump on it as if that were the very issue that would sway the opinion of the undecided populous to their side?

Is it because it actually will sway their decision?

Is it because these idiots really have nothing more to talk about?

Are they bored?

Why do I feel so compelled to put small holes in living things from great distances?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Just an general observation that I've made of American society that may ber pertinent to this situation...

Have you ever noticed how willing some Americans are, and to the lengths they will go to avoid the responsibility of even acknowledging problems?

Have you noticed the passive/aggressive tendency most people have when tackling real, life-effecting issues, and how averse some of us are to confrontation, especially when we are the ones who would have to address the issue?

What the hell is the matter with us?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Seems like it, If Mt.St Helens explodes they will blame it on Bush or Kerry. Just the way the media is these days

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
i totaly agree with you Mr Chaos

they talk about so much pointless crap its mind boggling. gay this plan that never really telling us what is really going on. they dance around the issues, giving us bits and bits of info always emphasizing why they are better but never giving us definative answers. can someone tell me wtf are these polls for??? why does the media gobble up everything they say, only repeating and dwelling on the short answers they give and never coming up with relevant questions??? really WTF.... we are at WAR they talk about tax cuts and saving the economy and this and that, but our education is in desperate need of tax increase, coorperation are hording every nickle and dime our people shell out, prison population sky rocketing. yet they never talk about how they are going to fix these problems???

*cough cough* *hack* *weeeeezzz* ack, im dying..... too much smoke....cant breathe.........

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
the media is so infantile because the viewers are infantile. The public would rather talk about whether or not kerry uses tanning products or if laura bush is nice than about anything important. Heck they'd rather forget all that and talk about MTV or Comedy Central. I mean, it seems like more people would rather go to a wrestling match than attend a calm and reasonable poltical debate.

If someone isn't screaming and gesticulating, they don't seem to care. Look at the size of the parking lots for , say, Target, compared to the local library.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Is there any good reason, then, why American society should not fail, and its people should fall?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
i like how one mr noam chomsky put it. "stop focusing on the candidates personality, cuz that is irrelevant. what is important is the ideals that their group represents."

ya know, i have no idea what either party represents.... go figure

[edit on 19-10-2004 by sturod84]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Is there any good reason, then, why American society should not fail, and its people should fall?

prosperity of a fascist united states?

wait, thats a bad thing...

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
You are so right DC. I've been following this election and you don't need a shovel for the BS that the media is spewing. This would be better.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sturod84
ya know i have no idea what either party represents.... go figure

Yeah, and neither do they... now THAT'S a problem!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Intrepid, I can always count on you for difinitive insight. Really. Nothing more than that needs to be said.

Absolute garbage.

I wonder if the old data analysts credo applies here. You know the one...

Garbage IN, garbage OUT!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Kobe Bryant sex scandle
Kobe Bryant accuser drops case
Kobe Bryant now sued
Martha Stewart on vacation
Martha Stewart is going to jail
Martha Stewart in jail
Michael Jackson pedofile case
Michael Jackson gets a new nose
Britney Spears gets married
Britney Spears might change names
John Kerry enjoys windsurfing
John Kerry is flip flopping

In other news 22 die in Baghdad car bombing by insurgents believed to be linked to al-Zarqawi

BoSox win in the 14th inning to keep things alive against the Yanks
Derek Jeter commits another error
NHL Hockey lockout and nobody cares

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I have seen it ad nauseum, PARTY LINE PARTY LINE. If it doesn't put your political lparty in good light, it's propaganda. I even saw someone say that a news story that didn't shine a good light on one of them was propaganda. News source, the BBC. What's up with that?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Are the people so apathetic that they would pay so little attention to the people and agencies that control the quality and purpose of their lives, that the lives they live would risk being destroyed by said apathy?

I guess that's what apathy does, then, doesn't it?

Well, I guess we're doomed, then.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

it will if the public doesn't pull itself together and there isn't any responsible and good leadership around. History seems to indicate that it can do that when necessary.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
History seems to indicate that it can do that when necessary.

Exactly my point. Thank you.

I'm of the opinion that America began its rapid decline in the 1960's. Since then, broadmindedness, technology, and apathy has all but made everything and anything acceptable. Including laziness, carelessness, and apathy itself.

We've created a situation where these things are so compulsorily acceptable, that there are now people that actually believe that NOT voting is just as valid a political and societal expression as voting is. It has gotten to the point that even the apathy that is destroying us is viewed as a right and a privilege under our ideal of freedom.

This is freedom run amok!

Our young people are growing up learning a version of American history that heroizes our forefathers to the point that they believe that we are infallible. They are not learning the dirty truth which is that there are millions of people who died brutal, vicious deaths to secure the very freedom they take for granted today.

They truly think freedom is free.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
If it doesn't put your political lparty in good light, it's propaganda.

This is why I think McCain might be pissed right now. I know he doesn't agree with the president on much of anything, and yet since Bush is a Republican he must support him when he's asked to. Well, he doesn't, but he does want to run for president, so he kind of has to keep his party loyal to him.

It's just sad that's how it works. If it worked correctly, McCain could say at the RNC what he's said on so many news shows and in the Senate. That Bush is failing miserably.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This is the whole point of politics.

The candidates are catering to us, the voters, so if the majority of the voters want to hear about Kerry and his purple hearts, or how pissed off Cheney is about Edwards comments, then WHY FOCUS ON THE ISSUES?

As the voters, we have something they all want. We are responsible for the media we get. If nobobdy watched the dirty politics or the horserace, soon the media would quit running it, and focus on what we are interested in: the issues.

Sadly, the majority equates politics with slanderous candidates arguing about the past discrepanciesof their opponents. Politics have become a form of PUBLIC ENTERTAINMENT.

Corrective measures anyone?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rain King
Corrective measures anyone?

I think the corrective measure would be decent leadership. Decent leadership on the part of many, many individuals. Unfortunately, I don't think the American people at large would listen to decent leadership, as they would inevitably be told by them things they don't want to hear.

So is it a people problem, or a leadership problem? Both. The people only hear and see what they want, and the leaders only give them such.

Ok. We're doomed. I'm going to buy another gun...

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Ok. We're doomed. I'm going to buy another gun...

my sentiments excactly

people are just too stuck on things like football, entertainment tonight, mr phil to even comprehend the true meaning of ideals. apathy has turned them into drones of unwavering compliance. the glossy cover that is general media politics makes it seem as if all is well. so people go about their lives with not a care in the world. then those of us who look a little deeper say, "wait a minute, somethings not right...." they all look at us like we are crazy!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join