It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Les Stroud .... ""Living off the Grid"" documentary....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Les Stroud .... ""Living off the Grid""...... Wow you can learn a lot, pretty good doc...... What do you think???

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Yeah I wanna do that! but wait he uses a helicopter!

wheres my helicopter? oh that's right I have to live in the real world. Interesting comments on the youtube page

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I'm starting to remember this guy. He always seemed to have a tub of peanut butter, fuel, and a fully charged battery.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Cool video, although I can not relate.

Never will I have money or even access to a helicopter, or half the devices he uses. I'm so glad I don't live in the snow though, that was half his troubles.

I hope to do something similar one day, and before I have kids.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Very informative video thanks for posting it. I really like all the shows that Les does, he's one of the more credible sources of survival knowledge along with Cody Lundin those are two of the best. I still think they should have Les and Cody pair up for the Dual Survival show since Dave Canterberry has been kicked off the show. Les and Cody would make a great team in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensdoexist

I agree with the Les and Cody Team up
Ive learned quite a bit from them and look forward to that possibility
www.teachingdrum.org is a place in upper wisconsin that can show anyone
how to live in the wilderness,.Great stuff.
I noticed Les state a few times about Canada loosing power, I wonder if he has
been listening to NASA's warnings of the new solar max which is almost here. Large power
outages are possible,.and from watching this last weeks CME's, the sun is certainly becoming
more active..
Ive got the solar, and wind set up also,. I do kinda live in the sticks and already have a well
and a nearby lake for water, water purification systems and a back up hand pump soon to be arriving.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
les the survivor man.
he is the only one worth watching, goes out by his self.
gets drop off by his team and carries a radio, in case he gets in some deep do do.
but other than that on his own, films everything his self. and is picked up seven days later.

bear rides out in the suv at 7am, has his film crew and paramedic with him, films till 9 am stops for tea and crumpets, till 9:30. films again till 11:30 breaks for lunch till 1:00, starts filming until 3: time for tea again. then gets a few promo shots till 4:30, he hops in the suv and heads back to the hotel, leaving the crew to clean up and prep for the next day.

cody and the green beret are all right, they still have people there with them to help. so do the guy and his wife.

les is the only one who goes out alone.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I will say that I enjoyed his filming of this adventure,.
he was a bit disorganized and didnt seem to do much research,.
Nevertheless,. it was a good trial and error record for those not in the know

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Flagging to watch later. Agree that Les is one of the guys that I pay attention to and learn stuff from. Also, glad to see I'm not the only one that has thought a Les & Cody show would be the bomb.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Thanks for posting.. it was a nicely done documentary, while some of the methods used (helicopters) might not be within alot of folks budget, thee was plenty of information, ideas and practical application that is helpful for those who are seeking to do what he accomplished..

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This guy is really good! I remember watching the survivor man show and knew I instantly recognized his voice. I'm going to watch this now but S+F for the great link.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
reply to post by Aliensdoexist

I agree with the Les and Cody Team up
Ive learned quite a bit from them and look forward to that possibility
www.teachingdrum.org is a place in upper wisconsin that can show anyone
how to live in the wilderness,.Great stuff.
I noticed Les state a few times about Canada loosing power, I wonder if he has
been listening to NASA's warnings of the new solar max which is almost here. Large power
outages are possible,.and from watching this last weeks CME's, the sun is certainly becoming
more active..
Ive got the solar, and wind set up also,. I do kinda live in the sticks and already have a well
and a nearby lake for water, water purification systems and a back up hand pump soon to be arriving.

Depends where you are. I haven't heard of anyone losing power except for Ontario and Quebec. Those were reasons like ice storms and wind storms, both causing powerlines to get knocked out. But they usually get the power back in hours or a day at most.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I'm sure one of the best investments one could make in there life is simple a beach house or a lake side cabin on a lake that has fish, a river, and a lot of natural woods for animals near by. That way if the SHTF you bug out to there. If it doesn't you still bug out as often as you can and enjoy it! I'm sure if you found one that was a foreclosure or preF. Then you'd get a good deal. The alternative is scary. If the SHTF then you're stuck in the city with all the desperate crazies to have to fight with. I'm not talking about spending a fortune. Do like Les did. Just find something that has some land, that has maybe an old building (not old like he had) but something you could immediately use. Like move it start up the wood stove and have the utilities turned on and your golden. Then move in and start to create backups for each of the utilities. Plus start to garden, hunt, trap, fish etc etc so you learn how to do that stuff. That way if the SHTF you'd have everything set up to go bug out to. As for me I'd like to stay where the action is, in the city, and fight it out. It's more fun and more action.

edit on 25-10-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Do you guys realize this film was made almost 3 years ago? Things have changed ( for the better) in the solar industry.

As far as Mike Hawke and his wife well.. She's HOT. I want a woman like HER!

Oh.. sorry.. back on topic.. The video was Great. I was surprised that Les didn't know a lot of basics about off the grid living given his profession. It seems to me a survival "expert' would know more about that. now it's almost 3 years later. I wonder how much of this knowledge Les incorporated into his survival skills.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Ya but he's not a handyman he's basically a professional boyscout

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

the mechanics of living off the grid , and surviving till rescue are pretty different. one is long term, the other(hopefully) short term.

top topics

join