It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another "voice" thread

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by cancerhot
my roomate is from new zealand,,, and she says that she talks to her dead relatives all the time,,, more or less they interrupt her and talk to her (all in her head) she has conversations with them. Maybe life is just different over there, but maybe they have special connections with relatives that makes this possible. She is so serious bout this, but doesnt tell most people... sometimes she just starts laughing, b/c her aunt would say something funny about me... what the !!!!! am i crazy ?

OK, that sounds a hell of alot like schizophrenia, or some related problem. As to the subject of the thread...yeah, I've gottne it a few times. Occassionally hear my name called out (then agian, "Ben" also sounds alot like "Then", so it could be people walking by talking outside). Anyway, never figure dit for paranormal, jsut regualr sleep patterns.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Thanks Beebo, I had no idea that program was there. I might try recording something tonight. I might actualy pick something up tonight since the weird stuff has already started. My lamp has now cycled through each setting at least 4 times. The first time I was leaving the room and right as I got to the door it shut off, when I came back it was already on, but less than a minute later it shut off again. And for some weird reasons freaky things seem to happen when I have a headache.

Originally posted by Esoterica

Originally posted by cancerhot
my roomate is from new zealand,,, and she says that she talks to her dead relatives all the time,,, more or less they interrupt her and talk to her (all in her head) she has conversations with them. Maybe life is just different over there, but maybe they have special connections with relatives that makes this possible. She is so serious bout this, but doesnt tell most people... sometimes she just starts laughing, b/c her aunt would say something funny about me... what the !!!!! am i crazy ?

OK, that sounds a hell of alot like schizophrenia, or some related problem. As to the subject of the thread...yeah, I've gottne it a few times. Occassionally hear my name called out (then agian, "Ben" also sounds alot like "Then", so it could be people walking by talking outside). Anyway, never figure dit for paranormal, jsut regualr sleep patterns.

Firstly- Cancerhot- why would you be crazy because your roommate has conversations with dead relatives?
Secondly, yeah it does sound as if there is some mental problem present, probably not something as serious as schizophrenia. Seriously can no one come up with a different diagnosis? Everything on here is labeled schizophrenia. There really are other mental problems out there. Probably the chick just really really
[I really need a new light- as I type it's cycling through every single setting very slow- oops skipped a setting. ]
Really really believes in life after death and that your dead relatives guide you and protect you and possibly there is something going on in her life she can't quite handle at the moment. If she is "normal" in every other way then ignore it. I bet if she went to see a shrink and explain her views on this the shrink probably wouldn't focus on the voices. I bet she's Catholic, and has an alter full of saints and candles. Tell me I'm wrong.
[I probably shouldn't have stopped in mid sentence to tell you my light is funky but it's kind of hard to type when the ceiling light is blinking and the other light is shutting it's self on and off.]

Also, yeah, if I lived anywhere near other people or if other people in the house were awake when I go to sleep I would figure it's just people talking in another room or outside or something. When I do go to sleep when other people are up and I'm really tired I tend to here my name alot, but it also sounds like other words and I know it's just muffled talking from the other room.

I think I forgot to mention that the voices really only happen when I have headaches, I posted in a different thread about my "pre-cognitive" dreams but I didn't mention the headaches there either, I only have them when my head hurts. So, it's completely possible that there is something physically wrong with me causing me to hear whatever. Also, it's completely possible that there is something wrong with my brain that allows me to catch a little bit of some other worldly stuff or whatever. You hear all the time how someone died for a few minutes and then they acquire abilities, they can talk to spirits, predict future events, move things by thinking about it... (yeah, that one is more rare but you get the point)

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This may or may not be the same thing, but I thought I'd chime in.

In early adolescence I had a great deal of trouble at night when I would go to bed. While still conscious, but starting to drift off, I would hear what I called "loud silence", which sounded like white noise -- like what you would hear if you turned an audio amplifier way up without a signal, sort of a water rushing sound.

Quite often with that noise I would hear what sounded like whispering voices, but loud and emphatic like stage whispers. They usually sounded somewhat strident or angry, like they were "shouting" in their whispery voices.

It seemed like they were trying to tell me something, but I could never make out what they were saying. They did not sound like they were in the room, or physically present. I knew that they were not coming from another room in the house (they sounded like they were right in my ears), and that no one else would be able to hear them.

This was also a time in my life when I had what I believe to be my only out of body experiences, as well as some very nasty nights that I think involved malevolent spirits.

These events started tapering off around age 15, and from about age 19 on I don't recall experiencing them again. What they actually were, I don't know, but there you have it.

So, Are You Crazy?

"Hearing voices" could be considered psychosis in modern psychology, but that could also be true of just about anything "paranormal" based on the current and relatively primitive state of that field of study. Psychology is self-constrained, and there is a great deal of important information it does not explore or consider when studying the human mind.

So while I respect psychology a great deal, I think it's important to remember that it is still far from being as refined and clear-cut as mathematics or mechanical engineering.

Sanity is a very subjective thing. You could be labeled "crazy" for being into conspiracy theories, yet stab a loved one 100 times and be considered legally sane. This ambiguity of definition renders the term "sane" meaningless in my opinion.

Where I do choose to use the term, I have found the most useful definition to be the legal one: if you can tell the difference between right and wrong, you're sane.

Of course, what right and wrong actually are is also subjective, which kind of makes a point in itself.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
anagrohm- I have no designs of myself being a psychologist :p. I said schizophrenia because that's the first that came to mind. Anyway, the point is that before you hit up the Ouija board because Aunto Flo is stopping my in your head, you should look into medical issues first. You may have a condition that could get progressively worse.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the board lately, not really trying to "bump" this.
I didn't mean to sound all mean or whatever about people immediately jumping to schizophrenia, it's just that I actually know a couple of schizophrenics and it's really a misunderstood diagnosis.
I have been trying to look into the medical side of this though. I have seen a doctor about it, I am trying to get in to see a neurologist but it's hard to find one that takes my insurance and has an opening.
I said before that I don't hear anything unless I have been having my headaches, well I've had one for over a week now and haven't heard a thing. In a way that's good, in a way I'm worried that the headaches have changed. My lights still flicker and/or turn off and on when I am upset or the headache spikes. I'm getting used to it, but other people kind of freak a little when it happens.
Since my head hurts so much right now I probably won't be on the board much for a little while. I mention this only so that next week or next month when this bumps up to the top again, you'll have seen it coming.

Oh, also- I had a problem with loud silence too, I never heard anything with that other than this buzzing/humming/running motor sound. I'm glad you're problem seems to have gone away though.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join