It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is 2012 a 'self fulfilling' prophecy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I've been wondering lately about 2012 and it's implications on a personal level, as well as a wider social problem.

I've heard a lot of talk and read a lot of posts about 2012 and the alleged effect it's inevitably going to have on our blue sphere. From Niburu to 'ascended masters' as well as 'starchildren' even higher consciousness or a 'conscious shifting'. There's a lot of so called prophecy and 'Mayanism' floating around too. People are telling us that the Mayans knew it all because of their super advanced mathematics. It's just a shame they didn't see the Spanish coming isn't it..... :/

This would all be harmless speculation if the people who are espousing it didn't have the fundamentalist attitudes we've all come to know and despise. Attacking anyone who dares assume a different stance than they do. Though they disguise their disgust as a 'higher understanding' their distaste for any altering opinion is apparent. Their 'new age' religion follows the same twisted method, which is to assume a higher level of understanding and representing it through esoteric and confusing language coupled with symbology. All the while their whole stance can be summed up in one phrase "do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" and "Worship thyself".

This would all be excusable if it wasn't for the implications their 'predictions' are sure to bring on the 'fringes' of society. Imagine what the people who believe this are going to do! Especially if they think the world is truly going to end. What would a paedophile who believes this do? What about a psychopath? How about a rapist? Even your average joe may lose his marbles. This could be storing up a lot of trouble for a lot of innocent people. The 2012 'event' has received massive publicity and has a HUGE cult following. Even the millennium bug wasn't fawned over this much. Though tell that to Alex Jones (the guy who was convinced of it).

I just think a little more discernment is called for on behalf of the 2012 conspiracy followers. The wave of hysteria that is building over this really quite unheard of. People I work with who have no idea of any conspiracy theories about anything else, all know about this one. About 60% of them believe it too. Though maybe satirically.

I fear that there will be a self fulfilling stage where people start to lose their minds and act out their suppressed feelings for this event, paedophiles, rapists and murderers might see this as their last days on Earth! Same with violent and unhinged people who feel (as this is what new age teaches) that their actions have no consequence and so they should act how they please. They think they'll simply be reincarnated as a chair, or a frog. At least in 2000 they would still be alive and roaming, albeit in the dark! Plus their new age agenda wasn't as far ahead as it is now. No one took it that seriously.

I'm not saying it's going to be Biblical, but there's very real potential for a lot of damage to be done. We have an obligation to inform and reassure people of the facts. And they are, there is no Niburu in orbit, or anywhere close (unless it's invisible). There is no 'star children' or 'plieades peace force'. All we have is each other, and if a catastrophe IS on the way we'll face it together when it happens hopefully in peace and understanding. God bless.
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Humanity wants to wake up. Its going to happen. We're crossing the thresh hold, there's not much more to say. We're on this wave now, & those that are strong willed know that they must ride it out.

Self-fulfilling prophecy? But of course! Take into account all of the predictions just your ears have heard for these times. Its a broad question & this yields a broad answer.

Even seeing a butterfly flap it's wings in the meadow grasses can be the most biblical moment for one, for in that brief moment of time they are opened up to the heavens.

Humanity is sucking at the tit of misery, and has been for over 3,000+ years. What will our next actions be when many realize that the milk has long gone sour?

Also to add that you mentioned humanity acting our their suppressed urges: This is only inevitable but let it be known that the light of the righteous has touched many that walk this Earth. The time of judgement is nigh.
edit on 19-10-2012 by survival because: acting out suppressed urges.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by survival

See but it's not. If anything we're going backwards socially and economically.

People aren't waking up, they're burying their heads in the sand and hoping for miracles and shiny wonders. Though I agree that any insignificant event can have huge ramifications there's really not much to look forward to in terms of 'evolution'. Though these might be the 'end times' to borrow a phrase, they're remarkably similar to times past. Only now education is failing too, making people more vulnerable to ridiculous ideologues and philosophies.

I have a major bias as a Christian so I wont open that door. This isn't a religious issue, though some argue it is. I just want people to be careful is all.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Joneselius

I've wondered about some of that myself. If the past is anything to judge by we may need to be on the alert.

Just think about the Heaven's Gate cult that committed group suicide on the belief that by doing so they would be able to catch a ride on the "escape ship" hidden in the Hale Bop comet's tail. Or the people who committed suicide believing Harrold Camping's prediction of the Apocalypse this past May. These people were very few in number. But the number of people who buy into December 21, 2012 as the end of the world are innumerable. How many of these people will take their own lives, and possibly take others with them? How many people are going to possibly commit atrocities because they believe the world is ending so they have no fear of repercussions?

Another scary though that has crossed my mind is how many "doomsday cults" are actively awaiting this date and are willing to do whatever they can to fulfill the prophesy? Remembering the cult that released Sarin gas on the train system is just a taste of what one of these groups could do. It's scary!

It makes me glad that on Dec. 21st I will be at home baking and not out anywhere in public. I don't fear the world ending on that day, but I am afraid of what some unbalanced people could possibly do.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

If a natural catastrophy happens.
Then we can't do anything about it.
And it is not 'self fulfilling'.

A change of people's mindset though.. that is a 'self fulfilling' catastrophy..
..if it causes global riots and destruction.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tomten

It is if the catastrophe caused is completely man made. No natural disaster would be needed then.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

This is precisely what I'm saying. There's a lot of people looking at this. They all have a loose consensus that something's going to happen. I fear if one group acts then others may 'follow the leader' and make their own things happen.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
"Do as thou wilt" is what Aleister Crowley believed in. The New Age people still believe in the Golden Rule, karma, and a creator. Or at least, that is what I have gathered from my research. I don't know where you got the idea that we'd all be acting on our urges with impunity, if this became the widespread belief. Normally people with those issues do it, regardless. They don't need religion to justify it. They're just sick.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
L
L
talk about a psychotic projection

the only fundamentalists on the 2012 forums are the "prophets" of "nothing will happen" "it'll be a day like any other"
with their fulminant doctrinal pronouncements, which they irrationally claim are not prophecies or predictions when it is obvious that they are.
these fanatics have taken over the forum with multiple DAILY threads which are obviously [except to the mods, apparently] merely variations on the same subject. and they are now demonizing 2012 believers with accusations of cultishness and impending violence, mass suicides [get a clue: jonestown and heavens gate, like the branch davidians are MK-ULTRA spinoffs [v.3.0]]
and rioting.

now an aspirant high priest of the the "prophets" of "nothing will happen" comes with insinuations of pedofilia and rape.

lol

the sad truth here is that the everf more desperate bleating's of the "prophets" of "nothing will happen"
make one wonder if they are only trying to convince themselves.

or perhaps they are merely trying to make people "miss the bus" re 2012

or perhaps they're hedging their bets and pre-emptively throwing the blame for any violent incidents on believers, so as to cover their a**es, if that's not an indicator of psychosis, i don't know what it is.

hmmm, if something, say a catastrophic loss of electrical power occurs or any ol' SHTF scenario
all these "prophets" of "nothing will happen" will be lacking in supplies and stuff which the "whackos"
have in relatively abundant supply due to their prepping.

"GET THE WHACKOS!!!!" AND ALL THEIR STUFF, THAT THEY'RE "SELFISHLY HOARDING"!!!

uh-huh, right.

a zombie apocalypse indeed.

speaking for myself i shall be Immanentizing the Eschaton, but only for myself

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Well then, now I guess it's a game of wait and see. I'm no prophet. I'm merely stating the obvious. If people are scared and think it's their last days on Earth, they're going to get desperate. Personally I think it's a scam to sell people 'survival gear'.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Why only for yourself? Its actually team work and awareness needed. And nothing hinges on a date.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Originally posted by Unity_99

Why only for yourself? Its actually team work and awareness needed. And nothing hinges on a date.

i don't want to live in anybody else's "perfect" world
why would i want to impose my "perfect" world on others.

hasn't that been done to death already? y'know history?

teamwork? elaborate, please
unless it's joining the UNI-MIND the above would apply.

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
3- why not join the unimind?
if a way to catalyze the process can be figured out before 12/21/12
then again....

The Uni-Mind

The Uni-Mind is a fictional composite being in the Marvel Universe. The Uni-Mind and the Eternals were the creation of Jack Kirby.

Normally the Uni-Mind is a mental gestalt entity and collective intelligence of at least seven Eternals, but Uni-Minds have also been composed of Eternals, humans, Deviants and Brethren; Varua of the Young Gods is also able to create a joining with her fellow Young Gods which is similar to the Uni-Mind. The Uni-Mind possesses all the powers, knowledge and combined intellect of those who are part of it, and all the participants share each other's knowledge and can gain new insights and perceptions. The Eternals often use it as a means to address problems or decisions that are deemed too difficult for them to solve as individuals.
A Uni-Mind is a collective being which is created by a significant number of Eternals merging their physical and mental beings into one organism, combining the collective psionic and cosmic energy of several hundred Eternals, which manifests itself as a gigantic brain-like organism. As such, it has an immeasurable intellect, and the composite knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience of all its constituent beings. A Uni-Mind possesses vast psionic abilities across a wide range of mental talents, including levitation, psychokinesis, telepathy, the ability to project mental bolts of force, the ability to travel through the vacuum of space unharmed, and intellectual powers of information processing and problem-solving far beyond human understanding. Superior cosmic powers, such as those possessed by Celestials are capable of unbinding the collective form of the Uni-Mind, breaking it down into its constituent beings.

a means of Immanentizing the Eschaton properly [greatest benefit for greatest number, or all for that matter]?

Images borrowed from The Eternals V1.1 [1985] created by Jack Kirby Copyright Marvel Comics

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Patience good sir. For when a mind is open & passionate about possibilities, the rapidity of apprehension & understanding can be so vast. Beyond space & time if you will.. does that mean quantum (any physicists out there)?

You say you have a bias for being a "Christian". What do you mean by this? Personally, I think that anything that is taken very close to heart can be termed in a religious aspect. Then again, I think of science & religion as close things in many forms.

So what if people are burying their heads in the sand. Eventually they have to come up for air, its no problem. Allow them to do this, for Earth is a school & there are a great multitude of things to learn here. Henceforth we have all different levels of conscious beings.

Tomten described natural disasters as non self-fulfilling, whereas a change of humanity's mindsets as self-fulfilling. I see the logic in this however you could reason that if Mother Earth is a living consciousness, then we are indeed self-fulfilling this prophecy for we are all of her children & we each conduct our minds for what we see Earth to be.. & become.

Humanity's minds are ready for some changes, & we've been through quite a few of these kinds of changes before. Patience.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

what is the " 2012 prophesy " ? seriously - we have a literally insane range of unevidenced idiocy paraded as prophesy - and mostly attributed to ancient civilisations who made no such claim

any physical claims - niburu / pole#s / cataclysm etc cannot be self fullfilling - as thankfully the idiots who believe in them do not have the means to ensure thier occurance

as for the new age fluff - the idiots can chant ohm and vibrate themselves till they are blue in the face -

top topics

join