It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dalai Lama says Tibet is better off within China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Tibet would be better off to remain within China rather than regain its independence, the Dalai Lama has told an interviewer. "Tibet is backward," the exiled spiritual leader said. "It's a big land, rich in natural resources, but we lack the technology or expertise [to exploit them]. So, if we remain in China, we might get a greater benefit, provided it respects our culture and environment and gives us some kind of guarantee."

The Dalai Lama's remarks were made to a journalist from Time magazine, just weeks after he sent a delegation of envoys to Tibet to discuss his possible return. Western diplomats believe there is a new opportunity for rapprochement under the new Chinese leader, Hu Jintao, with the Dalai Lama's Tibetan government-in-exile
The Independent UK

Wow, what's really going on? I think the Dali Lama may be right. You have to do something, because there has been no progress in decades. You have to make some concessions, if you want to save your country from being fourth-world.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
A genuine understanding between the Dali Lma and the PRC would be a good thing.

If he geniunely beleives China will do right by them, and that is what most Tibetans want then so be it.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Interesting, very interesting. I'll have to keep my eye on this one.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I think the Dalai Lama just got tired of it all and has decided to accept the obvious: China will never let go of Tibet. The rest of the world has pretty much accepted it too, judging by the decrease in international media attention given to the issue.

It smacks of the Communist revolution in China when the KMT fled to Taiwan. Eventually both Chang Kai Shek and the UN decided that they might as well accept the facts. The KMT stopped ranting about getting the mainland back and concentrated on setting up shop in Taiwan, and the UN accepted the PRC as the representative of China.

The Chinese Communist government has a way of ranting on and on and never giving an inch until everyone else gets exasperated and says,
"Fine, whatever, have it your way."

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I think the Dalai Lama just got tired of it all and has decided to accept the obvious: China will never let go of Tibet. The rest of the world has pretty much accepted it too, judging by the decrease in international media attention given to the issue.

Yep, seems he's given up on the delusion...all the better for Tibet if this actually works...

top topics

join