It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamic fundamentalists destroy 8,000-year-old rock carvings

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

An 8,000-year-old rock engraving depicting the Sun as a divinity has been destroyed in the south of Morocco, local residents said, blaming Salafists seeking to impose their fundamentalist view of Islam.

Source: Free thought Nation

Pretty sad and not too much to say about this, except I find it abhorant when art is destroyed for any reason. Fundamentalists of every religion do more harm than good and here's another example.

It looks like the old religious art was a priceless clue to the spirituality of that distant era:

Note that these ancient artifacts had to do with sun worship/solar mythology, a massive part of humanity's religious traditions dating back thousands of years. This astrotheological development occurred when human beings made observations of their natural world, including the sun, moon, planets, stars and constellations. The erasure of our past is like a virus eradicating the global computer files of humanity.

edit on 10/19/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Don't these paranoid zealots understand that astrotheological beliefs are the foundations of their own? They are destroying their OWN history!

This seriously angers me. They are doing a crime against all of humanity, not just some small remote culture.

What is with these Abrahamic faiths and the book burnings, history destroying, and general suppression of everything that threatens them?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a sad day too be sure.
in my opinion,the ancients had a much better grip on their beliefs than we,as 'modern' man do!
the sun as a symbol of god makes perfect sense to me,and i'm sure there were no religious wars over who's sun was the better god! its all the same sun!!!
i read somewhere that radical muslims wanted to tear down the pyramids because they are 'pagan' symbols!
and i'm sure every one knows how the spanish christians destroyed a lot of the meso-american culture.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Seeing as how the Vatican is holding way more history ransom in their fortress nation. I don't see why this would anger somebody so much.

The idea of a religious institution who decided they own history and keep it from being freely published and readily available should give you a heart attack!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
These things of antiquity belong to ALL OF US!!!
Just because some antiquity; falls within a countries borders IT IS NOT YOURS to blow up!!!

I think its because deep down...they know repressive religions are a sham. These things from antiquity; need to be guarded or at least, fall under some UN antiquity protection act. Hopefully, all backwards fundamentalists can be wiped out; and these things they've destroyed like this and (the giant Buddha statues) can be restored or rebuilt, for future generations to enjoy and marvel at. If anything, this makes me want to go sit over there; at a monument with a sniper rifle and a giant box of rounds, and wipe these bastards out it's this crap! Keep your stupid dino blood and your damn holy land but leave this stuff ALONE IT"S NOT YOURS!!!

edit on 19-10-2012 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

There isn't much info on religion (or that much else) from 8,000 years ago. We need every scrap and stone carving from that era we can get.

As for the Vatican, they have crimes of their own to be sure and it's not my intention to defend them against well-deserved criticism, but even so there are some signs things might be looking up in that area, at least.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
this is the kind of shenanigans that only allows us to know our diminished abd warped view on sposeded history,

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
reply to post by cconn487

There isn't much info on religion (or that much else) from 8,000 years ago. We need every scrap and stone carving from that era we can get.

As for the Vatican, they have crimes of their own to be sure and it's not my intention to defend them against well-deserved criticism, but even so there are some signs things might be looking up in that area, at least.

I'm sure whatever is under that much security, is so groundbreaking it would shatter the whole Catholic religion.

The simple fact the entirety hasn't at least been publicly backed up in a digital format for decades now makes me think there are certain things we have been deemed not worthy enough to know.

Thats just the cynic in me talking

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Call them what they are. Terrorists. Its sad when we have a politically correct word to sugar coat terrorists.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
The good news is that your source is Acharya S, which means that there is a high probability that the report is falso. Her source was a local political activist group with a vested interest in the siutation, which is about as reliable as her sources usually are.

Apparently, the report is false. The Morroccan government organized a press tour, and the carvings are still there and intact,

gulfnews.com...

I hope that people with the necessary resources move to get these works properly secured, since the result of calling attention to them may be to jeopardize them, whether by actual sectarian vandalism or by false-flag provocation. However, for the time being, the site seems intact.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Just call them what they are - "vandals".

My government classifies me as a "terrorist", so please don't associate me with these lowlifes.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by eight bits
The good news is that your source is Acharya S, which means that there is a high probability that the report is falso. Her source was a local political activist group with a vested interest in the siutation, which is about as reliable as her sources usually are.

Nice catch

I posted a link to the article (yours doesn't load for some reason, maybe it's outdated -- here's a fresh link) as a comment to Murdoch's, we'll have to see if it gets through her moderation of comments, lol.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

SMH these types of acts are why the species is lost in some areas. Destruction of the information of the past to 1 has no sense within it even if there are things uncomfortable in the information it still can teach the future populations.
not a good look

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Suns of beaches is all I've got to say

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Surprisingly enough, she did update the page:

UPDATE: It is being reported by Gulf News that the government of Morocco has released a statement asserting that the Muslim radicals did not destroy any rock carvings. In consideration of the fanatics' past history, one finds it difficult to believe that someone simply made up this story. The jury remains out - we would love to see images of the carvings, now that the world's attention is on them. The original story came from a "local rights group," The Amazigh [Berber] League for Human Rights, and it is difficult to believe this NGO would falsify such a story, unless to draw attention to the jihadis in their lands?

Ever the conspiracist, lol.

She also replied to my snarky comment:

Anonymous - Oopsies
Looks like this article is a work of fiction...

gulfnews.com...

ReplyQuote
|2012-10-19 16:10:25 Acharya S
Thank you. My article is not "fiction." I have accurately related what two out of many news agencies reported, based on the claims by a local rights group and NGO, The Amazigh [Berber] League for Human Rights.

The jury is still out. We need to find out why this local group made these claims, if no damage was actually done. Could it be to draw attention to Islamic radicals in the region?

Source

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
they have been destroying things and people for along time. (yawn) nothing new. they want to return to barbarism, rather than attain a modern civilized society.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The carvings were "vandalized". Photo at this link:

www.africanseer.com...

They were reportedly attacked with pick axes by a group of Salafists that also burned down a Sufi mosque and destroyed tombs of Muslim saints in Timbuktu.

The Salafists are the Muslim equivalent of the The Onion over here. They're very iconoclastic.
edit on 19-10-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
those islamic fundamentalists wouldn't happen to be dressed like this

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Its exactly the same thing when right wing fundamentalist "Christians" want to eliminate science in schools, there is no difference. I think the world would be SO much better off without organized religion.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
They are out of their mind . These people should be kept inside bars

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join