It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. J. Allen Hynek, Rosicrucianism, and UFOs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+48 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I find it somewhat remarkable, synchronicity-level remarkable, that two men who would have such an impact--both scientifically and philosophically--on Ufology, would share a common interest in Rosicrucianism.

Some might say it clouded or "colored" their judgements in regards to Ufology, but both Dr. Jacques Vallee and his friend and mentor Dr. J. Allen Hynek had an affinity for--and training in--Rosicruscianism.

Maybe, however, it was just the opposite. Instead of coloring their research, maybe it informed their mutual quest. It could be that Hynek and Vallee's familiarity and affinity for the "Mystical" put the UFO puzzle into a sharper focus.

Dr. J. Allen Hynek & Jacques Vallee

Dr. Bob: Dr. Vallee, how did you become interested in the order of the Rose Cross, and what value did it have in your growth and development?

Dr. Jacques Vallee: As a young student, I must have been 18 or 19 when I first became interested. I was really looking for information about traditions and I became aware of the fact that science didn't just come out of the imagination of a few people, that there was a tradition of research that went very far back, and that at some period in history had been actually underground. I was looking for information about that. That's what led me to the Rosicrucian tradition.

Dr. Bob: I was surprised also to learn later on that Dr. Hynek was also a member for a number of years.

Dr. Jacques Vallee: Yes, I think I relate in my diary the time when we came to discussing this and I was delighted to learn that he had, for many years, gotten information from the tradition as well. We both came to the same conclusion, by the way, that we really didn't need an organization to continue this research, as there were many sources around and that kind of research was best done independently. But those organizations were very sincere and gave us a start.
link

Statements made by Dr. Vallee in his most most-excellent Forbidden Science II seem to suggest that Hynek was the more "formally involved" of the two and at one point made a sincere go at mystical asceticism:

On Monday night Janine and I had dinner with Hynek at Pot-au-Feu. Conversation came back to the Rosicrucians. I had not known that Allen had followed a vegetarian diet for twelve years of his life, and had done his best to attain sexual ascetism.

““That experience wasn't for me,”” he told us with a twinkle in his eye. He has five kids to prove it, and his mood changes measurably whenever a pretty girl walks by.

““Besides,”” he added with a sigh, ““I've seen most of those who followed these guidelines end up as sick people, hopeless drifters or idle dreamers.”

Vallee had more than J. Allen Hynek and some mail-order courses as his sources for AMORC. A female co-worker and friend at SRI was an insider and relates what seems to be a little-known story about Rosicrucian Imperator H. Spencer Lewis:

““At headquarters we have a closet where the son of Spencer Lewis, who has succeeded him as Imperator, has hidden all the documents about ritual ceremonies! Lewis Junior is afraid of that material, perhaps because his own father had an accident after performing one of the advanced rites.””

When I asked Mil about this, she would only tell me that ““he entered into the famous circle and didn't have the strength to maintain it.”” He died two years later without being able to resume his activities. The fearful incident must have taken place about 1937.

Did Rosicrucian Imperator H. Spencer Lewis spar with something sinister during a ritual?

Dr. Hynek on UFOs:

In 1975, in a paper presented to the Joint Symposium of the American Institute of Aeronautics & Astronautics in Los Angeles, he wrote, "If you object, I ask you to explain – quantitatively, not qualitatively – the reported phenomena of materialization and dematerialization, of shape changes, of the noiseless hovering in the Earth's gravitational field, accelerations that – for an appreciable mass – require energy sources far beyond present capabilities – even theoretical capabilities, the well-known and often reported E-M (sc. electro-magnetic interference) effect, the psychic effects on percipients, including purported telepathic communications."

In 1977, at the First International UFO Congress in Chicago, Hynek presented his thoughts in his speech "What I really believe about UFOs." "I do believe," he said, "that the UFO phenomenon as a whole is real, but I do not mean necessarily that it's just one thing.

We must ask whether the diversity of observed UFOs . . . all spring from the same basic source, as do weather phenomena, which all originate in the atmosphere", or whether they differ "as a rain shower differs from a meteor, which in turn differs from a cosmic-ray shower." We must not ask, Hynek said, what hypothesis can explain the most facts, but we must ask, which hypothesis can explain the most puzzling facts.

While I don't propose there's not room for both the ETH and the EDH, neither did Hynek. But he does return rather quickly to theories and traditions that reflect the mystical dimension.

"There is sufficient evidence to defend both the ETI and the EDI hypothesis," Hynek continued. As evidence for the ETI (extraterrestrial intelligence) he mentioned, as examples, the radar cases as good evidence of something solid, and the physical-trace cases.

Then he turned to defending the EDI (extradimensional intelligence) hypothesis.

Besides the aspect of materialization and dematerialization he cited the "poltergeist" phenomenon experienced by some people after a close encounter; the photographs of UFOs, some times on only one frame, not seen by the witnesses; the changing form right before the witnesses' eyes; the puzzling question of telepathic communication; or that in close encounters of the third kind the creatures seem to be at home in earth's gravity and atmosphere; the sudden stillness in the presence of the craft; levitation of cars or persons; the development by some of psychic abilities after an encounter.

"Do we have two aspects of one phenomenon or two different sets of phenomena?" Hynek asked.

linken.wikipedia.org...

Does Hynek's friendship with the extraordinary Dorothy Izatt reflect his simpatico with mysticism? It certainly seems to address a subject that we seemingly can't ignore in Ufology: History's "Luminous Beings" or Balls of Light that demonstrate intelligence.

Hynek believed Dorthy Izatt's experiences were a truly anomalous phenomena. As well-documented as they are, it's hard to see her films/experiences as anything but anomalous.

Dorothy's films also stand up excellently against professional scrutiny. They've been subject to experts from ILM (Industrial Light & Magic) rather than the usual alleged "verifications" by the infamous likes of Jim Dilettoso.

Dr. Hynek gave Dorothy much good advice and they maintained a very warm friendship over the years.

Dorothy Izzat & Dr. J. Allen Hynek

edit on 15-10-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Dorothy brings an interesting metaphysical concept and message that really isn't all that different from Contactee messages and probably even fits into a Rosicrucian view along the way:

A ball of light hovered and when Dorothy asked "What do you look like?" there was a bright flash and a "face" appeared to the right of the bright ball. pg. 40

Dorothy asked, "Do you have a name?" There was a sudden flash of light and the object was gone. The developed film showed an explosion of movement with what appears to be a "signature in light" bottom right. pg. 30

This huge ball of light emitted a bright and beautiful blue and lavender light. A smaller object, emitting red and white light, emerged from the lower right portion
of the larger object. Having seen this before, Dorothy identified the smaller light was a "scout" or probe of some kind.pg 57

link

One Frame of Izatt Film

Dorothy was filming a bright light in the sky when it suddenly vanished in a dazzling burst. The developed film showed this apparent "landscape" with lights in the background.

Dr. J. Allen Hynek suggested that it might be a glimpse of the object's home world as it passed through a "window" or portal in time and space. pg. 46

When the long awaited solution to the UFO problem comes, I believe that it will prove to be not merely the next small step in the march of science, but a mighty and totally unexpected quantum leap.

--DR. J. Allen Hynek, scientific advisor to U. S. Air Force's Project Blue Book

Funny he even mentions the word "quantum" because whatever that word represents, it seems to increasingly and often suggest quantum entanglement, many-worlds theory, and the possibility of consciousness equal or greater than our own…living here with us all along.

Anyways, there ya' go: Rosicrucian Ufologists!

I also very highly recommend Forbidden Science II as it gives unique historical data on the Hard-Science meets Weird-Science arena. I predict it will be picked-over and gleaned by ufological and occult historian/writers for years.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Holy smokes, excellent thread there friend. You're introducing me to aspects of the topic I'm largely unfamiliar with, and I totally appreciate it. Have you read the first volume of Forbidden Science, and if so, what did you think of it? I'm in the market for a new book (just got a $25 Barnes and Noble gift card) and I've been thinking about that one.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Orkojoker

Thanks, Orkojoker. I must confess that Forbidden Science - Volume I is still in my queue, I knew there were some topics--and people--in vol. 2 that figured into some current research of mine and I couldn't wait.

After Vol 2, I am even more excited about Vol. 1 because 2 was such a gratifying, informative, and historical treasure. Vallee's story--and the story of the famous names that surrounded him--is much more rich and grand than I would've ever imagined.

You'll be surprised at all the interesting names and personages that turn up. Vallee also strongly suggests that he left "clues" in the volumes that might help future historians when they try and map out the "Forbidden Science" era. What "drive you crazy" fun that aspect is.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Ahhh GUT thank you for doing my research for me . . . . again!

S&F

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The GUT: You put a lot of store into metaphysics or esoteric activities and try to link them to UFOs and alleged aliens because, as in this thread, Vallee and Hynek expressed intererest in the Rosicrucians. I'm not impressed because at no time has UFO activity ever resulted in anything associated with any human. They seem to go out of their way to avoid us. Nothing associated with Rosicrucians or your other strange and ritualistic characters have been shown to be linked to the mystery in our skies. You, and magickmaster, are trying to convince us that there is a connection and so far all you have are stories of individuals such as Aleister Crowley, imagined groups such as the illuminati, Secret Societies, Allegorical Mystery Dramas and Ciphers, Theosophical this or that and, frankly, this is all in your mind(s), and has nothing to do with real UFOs.

How about discussing what we are really experiencing that no one can explain no matter what group they belong, no matter what rituals are performed, no matter what symbols are alleged to, etc. The hardware, man!
Those variously-shaped aerial objects that most everybody thinks contain beings from far away yet no one has been able to prove even that simple mystery.

Rosicrucians? Just another bunch that escaped from the Bohemian Grove!

Remember, you're posting in the ALIENS & UFOS forum, not the Grand Temple.
edit on 15-10-2012 by The Shrike because: Grammar correction

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
J. Allen Hynek and Jacques Vallee visit Manly P. Hall

Belmont. Friday 15 January 1971.
...Yesterday morning we flew to Los Angeles for a series of visits, devoting much of the day to our hermetic interests that included a private visit to Manly Hall.

The Philosophical Research Society stands proudly among the palm trees and the bushes along Los Feliz Boulevard, in a better section of the Los Angeles metropolis. It offers a striking contrast to the dilapidated occult centers I recently visited with Don Hanlon.

We spent the afternoon in the library with Mr. Hall. There was polished wood everywhere, row upon row of esoteric books, and three gentlemen with white hair: Allen Hynek, Henry Drake and the Society's founder, who stood over six feet tall and wore a huge gray jacket majestically draped over his enormous abdomen.

In one of his books Jean-Paul Sartre speaks of ““perfect”” moments in life: I felt such perfection as I stood with Hynek among the books of hermetic scholarship, with the iron staircase going up to the gallery and the Chinese idols grimacing around us. We spent a private hour with Manly Hall. He showed us rare Babylonian tablets, Persian lamps with eight wicks. He told us about his admirable personal goal: to live fully the life of a man, and having lived it, to share it with others. ““The books you see around you,”” he told us, ““are all works I picked myself.””

They do form a unique collection, but he has been forced to remove from the shelves the titles that dealt with witchcraft. Unkept fellows with a strangely haggard look kept borrowing them, handling them roughly, tearing out the illustrations or even stealing the books. Hall feels no respect for Crowley and the O.T.O.: ““All this so-called modern occultism comes from one small region in Germany,”” he said, ““This isn't magic. Real esoteric research is much deeper.””

I walked along the shelves reading the spines, thinking of the people who had used these books -- from the lofty minds of scholars to the sick brain of Sirhan Sirhan ready to murder Robert Kennedy.
““Tell me one thing, Allen,”” I asked him as we left, ““is there a secret society under this overtly philosophical organization?””

““Not to my knowledge. And I've known them since 1930.””
“
“You surprise me. Manly Hall's best-known book hints at an occult order. It is entitled Secret Teachings of all Ages.

““That's the work that led me to them,”” Allen went on. ““At 16 I was a member of Heindel's Rosicrucian society; My friend Andy Howie showed me that book, which cost over a hundred dollars, a great deal of money at the time. I saved to buy it on instalment, paying his organization five dollars per month. All my student friends thought I was crazy: why didn't I buy a motorcycle instead, as they all did?

Manly Palmer Hall”

Manly Palmer Hall (March 18, 1901 – August 29, 1990) was a Canadian-born author and mystic. He is perhaps most famous for his 1928 work The Secret Teachings of All Ages.

at the age of 27 years, he published An Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Qabbalistic and Rosicrucian Symbolical Philosophy: Being an Interpretation of the Secret Teachings concealed within the Rituals, Allegories and Mysteries of all Ages, which is more commonly referred to as The Secret Teachings of All Ages.

Hall delved deeply into "teachings of lost and hidden traditions, the golden verses of Hindu gods, Greek philosophers and Christian mystics, and the spiritual treasures waiting to be found within one's own soul."

A tall (6', 4"), imposing, confident and charismatic speaker who soon took over as preacher of the Church of the People in 1919, he read voraciously on "comparative religion, philosophy, sociology and psychology," and "seemingly overnight . . . became a one-stop source of an astonishing range of eclectic spiritual material that resonates with the intellect, and the subconscious." Hall was ordained a minister in the Church of the People on
May 17, 1923, and "a few days later, he was elected permanent pastor of the church."

In 1934, Hall founded the Philosophical Research Society (PRS) in Los Angeles, California, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to the study of religion, mythology, metaphysics, and the occult.
He was a Knight Patron of the Masonic Research Group of San Francisco...On June 28, 1954, Hall initiated as a Freemason into Jewel Lodge No. 374, San Francisco…He took the Scottish Rite Degrees a year later.

He later received his 32° in the Valley of San Francisco AASR (SJ). On December 8, 1973 (47 years after writing The Secret Teachings of All Ages), Hall was recognized as a 33° Mason (the highest honor conferred by the Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite) at a ceremony held at the Philosophical Research Society
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
A Young Manly Hall

Manly P. Hall on Science as Black Magic

The most dangerous form of black magic is the scientific perversion of occult power for the gratification of personal desire. Its less complex and more universal form is human selfishness, for selfishness is the fundamental cause of all worldly evil.

A man will barter his eternal soul for temporal power, and down through the ages a mysterious process has been evolved which actually enables him to make this exchange. In its various branches the black art includes nearly all forms of ceremonial magic, necromancy, witchcraft, sorcery, and vampirism. Under the same general heading are also included mesmerism and hypnotism, except when used solely for medical purposes, and even then there is an element of risk for all concerned.

Though the demonism of the Middle Ages seems to have disappeared, there is abundant evidence that in many forms of modern thought--especially the so-called “prosperity” psychology, “willpower-building” metaphysics, and systems of “high-pressure” salesmanship--black magic has merely passed through a metamorphosis, and although its name be changed its nature remains the same.
---from Ceremonial Magick and Sorcery

www.brainsturbator.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Dr. J. Allen Hynek also had much respect for the teachings of Rudolph Steiner:

Mexico City. Tuesday 21 Novembre 1978.

Allen and I had a long talk as we sat next to the pool this afternoon, about our common interest in Rosicrucian philosophy. Allen told me he continued to have the highest regard for the theories of Rudolph Steiner, which I find impenetrable.

We agreed that contemporary groups like Amorc had become too involved in politics and had lost their founders' vision. He told me that Mimi, like me, recommended against involvement with Nicap. We prepared our strategy for the U.N. presentation in New York next week.

Janine called me from San Francisco with horrible news: 400 members of Jim Jones's People's Temple had just committed mass suicide in Guyana after gunning down a Congressman who was threatening to investigate their affairs…

Rudolph Steiner

Rudolf Joseph Lorenz Steiner (25/27 February 1861 – 30 March 1925) was an Austrian philosopher, social reformer, architect, and esotericist. Steiner gained initial recognition as a literary critic and cultural philosopher.

At the beginning of the 20th century, he founded a spiritual movement, Anthroposophy, as an esoteric philosophy growing out of idealist philosophy and with links to Theosophy.

Steiner led this movement through several phases. In the first, more philosophically oriented phase, Steiner attempted to find a synthesis between science and mysticism...

en.wikipedia.org...

In the article above it states that, "Steiner attempted to find a synthesis between science and mysticism…" I guess the same could be said for Hynek & Vallee.

Of Anthroposophy--which he founded, Steiner said:

Anthroposophy is a path of knowledge, to guide the spiritual in the human being to the spiritual in the universe... Anthroposophists are those who experience, as an essential need of life, certain questions on the nature of the human being and the universe, just as one experiences hunger and thirst.

Did Dr. J. Allen Hynek's enthusiasm for Steiner include the following views?

The occultist sees in the man of today a being in the full swing of evolution. Man is at the same time a fallen God and a God in the becoming. ~ Rudolph Steiner

Knowledge of life in the astral world leads us to a conclusion of fundamental importance, namely that the physical world is the product of the astral world. ~ Rudolph Steiner

Fortean Times article Rudolph Steiner

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
As I said before I cannot discuss the remnants of the society that was here before us.

We were attacked from above in high technological fashion. that is all I can say about it without becoming a target more so than I already am.

We will have our day in the 1000 points of light as we do now and we will destroy those who pretend to want the same when they do not.
edit on 15-10-2012 by tekeen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Except for that everything I've read has indicated that Hynek was a tool for the establishment to further obscure the topic of UFOs not shine a light on them.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Some kick ass information Gut ! Bookmarked for future references. Thank you for posting and for your great research on this phenomena. Dr. Hynek is so much a stereotypical professor one would see on the big screen.
Like a character from a movie come to life and bringing the movie with him. I am a huge fan.

SnF

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Very interesting! I think I'm starting to see hints of where you are working around to in your upcoming thread. I am looking forward to it immensely!

I would love to hear more of your personal thoughts and opinions surrounding your research, but I patiently await your completed research when I'm sure you will express them- however carefully worded.

Stars & Flag!

Always a pleasure, D.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Vallee had more than J. Allen Hynek and some mail-order courses as his sources for AMORC. A female co-worker and friend at SRI was an insider and relates what seems to be a little-known story about Rosicrucian Imperator H. Spencer Lewis

Great write-up GUT! Makes me think Neil Gaiman wasn't exactly writing fiction when he dreamed up Sandman, Issue 1, 'Sleep of the Just.'

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet
Except for that everything I've read has indicated that Hynek was a tool for the establishment to further obscure the topic of UFOs not shine a light on them.

Not everything I've read indicates that about Hynek. Of course he was the Stooge--unwitting & otherwise--for Project Blue Book. He also appears to have changed over the years into a sincere ufologist.

Hard to ultimately say of course. Does Vallee's character assessment of Hynek count?

He gets good marks on character in his FBI file, but I guess that could go either way for him in this argument.

FOIA FBI FILE: J. Allen Hynek

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

He also appears to have changed over the years into a sincere ufologist.

Good point and I did get that information about him as well. It can be difficult to suss out sometimes as the field is rife with disinformation and all one has to do to cast doubt is to accuse a legitimate researcher of being a disinfo agent. Real truth is difficult to get to in this field.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Dr. Hynek is so much a stereotypical professor one would see on the big screen.
Like a character from a movie come to life and bringing the movie with him. I am a huge fan.

SnF

Speaking of Professors on the Big Screen, that's kind of how I picture you, randyvs: Indiana Jones.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
Very interesting! I think I'm starting to see hints of where you are working around to in your upcoming thread. I am looking forward to it immensely!

The Thread that never Ends...we'll see how that goes.

Thank you, for your encouragement. It feels very warm and nice.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtraeme
Great write-up GUT! Makes me think Neil Gaiman wasn't exactly writing fiction when he dreamed up Sandman, Issue 1, 'Sleep of the Just.'

There's something dream-like about ufology in general it seems, Xtraeme: Shifting shapes, dematerializations, secrets, and illusions. Abra-Cadabra, now you see me, now you don't!

edit on 16-10-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The Truth About UFOs

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join