It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why The Sphinx Nose was Destroyed ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by nolabel

If that is the case, then the sphinx should not have a face left.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Another question.

Why are most ancient statues missing a nose (regardless of what civilisation)?

Ancient global coc aine epidemic. Noses removed as a warning to future generations.........

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Nice thread. They say it was buried in sand up to its chin until the early twentieth century. It also has some water damage. It may have survived several ice ages.

My guess is because the Sphynx is a Chimera (Griffin) & it had a bird beak.

Legends told of griffins that hoarded gold and hidden treasure.

Maybe in reference to the treasures in the secret chamber below.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

"Cutting off the nose to spite the face" is an expression used to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem: "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face" is a warning against acting out of pique, or against pursuing revenge in a way that would damage oneself more than the object of one's anger.[1]

Could there be a deeper meaning to the missing nose

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
The nose was the unfortunate victim of target practice by the Turks in the Turkish period

i was taught in school, back in the early 1960s... before political correctness became rampant...
that soldiers used the Shinx' nose for target practice....

the Troops included: Turks, British, even something doing with Napoleon over the course of many years

BTW
i think the defaced nose was a likeness of this female daughter of Khufu, Hetepheres (on a wiki page)
its not a feline nose at all on this smaller Sphinx residing at a Cairo museum today

upload.wikimedia.org... dynasty_of_Egypt.jpg

(sorry no tiny thumbnail photo available)

meanwhile, here's the latest revisionist history of why the Sphinx nose is defaced
www.napoleon-series.org...

title:
Did Napoleon's troops shoot the nose off the Sphinx? By Tom Holmberg

...Another Riddle of the Sphinx was how it lost its nose. It is widely accepted that it occurred during the Muslim Arabs' invasion of Egypt. Since the Sphinx was a symbol of pagan gods, the Arabs defaced it by scratching the eyes and chopping off the nose.

www.nekhebet.com...
edit on 16-10-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-10-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Napolean's troops had used it for cannon-practice

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I have the correct answer! Look no further!

Nobody knows why or how the nose came detached. Many guesses have been made, many for political gain.

P

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I'd like to point you all towards my thread here for more infromation regarding the Sphinx and its original form... The thread was originally intended as an investigation into known tunnels and chambers inside/under the monument, but there is some information in there regarding the Anubis observation and the predicted age....

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed researching it!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

PA.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Isn't it supposed to be because of wind/sand erosion? It's not uncommon for noses/arms/anything sticking out to be worn off of statues.

Black supremacists try to say that it was shot off/blown off to hide the real race of the Egyptians but they're usually full of #.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Since all reason has been thrown out on the last two pages, I am proposing an alternative theory.

The nose was stolen by the gnomes exploring from their home in the Netherlands. They encountered such a beast with such a grand nose, that they broke it off and brought it home to worship as the gnomish god of noses.

This would mean the nose currently resides somewhere in Netherlands today.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

The original sphinx nose was most likely a lions nose, because it was originally a lion's head, not a pharoah's head. I believe the structure pre-dates the ancient egyptian civilization myself. A sphinx is greek mythological creature, much like chimera, manticore or minotaur which indicates the possibility it may have been modified by Ptolemy after he took over Egypt after the death of Alexander the Great. If the tales of the hall of records from Atlantis being buried under the paws of the sphinx are correct then it means that Giza may have been Atlantis, the city that sank beneath the waves of the rising Great Flood from the ancient stories of long dead civilizations which in turn could mean that Atlantis could be the city Cain built after he was exiled for murdering his twin Abel. It's an interesting way to tie it all together.
edit on 16-10-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx2112
reply to post by Ben81

I remember my history teacher telling me the nose is gone because of napoleons troops having cannon target practice...

That is the story history tells us and i don't doubt it, Napolean's pomp would have had no problem allowing him to blast the nose off an ancient structure, he probably thought to add his own flair to history.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by syrinx2112
reply to post by Ben81

I remember my history teacher telling me the nose is gone because of napoleons troops having cannon target practice...

That is the story history tells us and i don't doubt it, Napolean's pomp would have had no problem allowing him to blast the nose off an ancient structure, he probably thought to add his own flair to history.

As was pointed out earlier in the thread: There are sketches of the Sphinx (1755) predating the birth of Napoleon (1769) showing that it didn't have a nose, i.e. the Sphinx's nose was gone long before Napoleon poked a stick at Egypt.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
God did it!

/wins thread

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I seriously doubt Napoleon, He basically founded Egyptology its well known he brought an "army" of scholars to study the ancient monuments and the stories his troops brought back to Europe is what started the whole Egyptian craze.
powellhistory.wordpress.com...

edit on 17-10-2012 by geldib because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Only the Nose Knows

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
It was destroyed by white people because they knew that if black people seen the Sphinx with an African nose they would know that they are a powerful and mighty people with magic in their bones. They would then remember that it was them who built it but then forgot how to write/read Egyptian hieroglyphics, build in stone, changed their religion, changed what they eat, forgot how to farm, forgot how to work with metal, stopped using horses and chariots,changed how they constructed things,changed how they dressed and the symbols they use....lastly the most amazing thing...they actually accessed the magic in their bones and changed their genetics too

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Too much Coke..???

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Many statues in art museums are missing their noses, I always thought it was because the statues fell over from earth quakes and being moved, causing their fragile noses to break off. I know the religious people in one era were hacking off the male privates on statues and glueing on fig leaves. Shame on them.

I feel it is a low form of humanity that destroys art. They really ruin the experience and history of a piece for
Everyone. The Taliban blew up the budda sculptures in the rock hillsides. What a shame. Why can't people tolerate each others differences with out ruining their art pieces?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Oddly enough, wiki has a forensic explanation for how it was removed and a published source:

en.wikipedia.org...

The one-metre-wide nose on the face is missing. Examination of the Sphinx's face shows that long rods or chisels were hammered into the nose, one down from the bridge and one beneath the nostril, then used to pry the nose off towards the south.

Lehner, Mark (1997). The Complete Pyramids. Thames & Hudson. p. 41. ISBN 0-500-05084-8.

I would think that wind erosion on the stone that had been under the nose should offer a good guess as to how long it has been gone, but it seems like a pretty safe bet that it happened during the time of Islam in Egypt, given that has been roughly a thousand years. It also seems like a safe bet that the nose was removed during the time the sphinx was buried up to its neck or not much lower.

edit on 20-10-2012 by 11andrew34 because: clarification

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join