It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why The Sphinx Nose was Destroyed ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Because it had an Europeen nose ?
Because it had an African nose ?
Because it had an Chinese nose ?
Because it had an Muslim nose ?

So many theories has been put on the table
but i have a new one ..

Maybe because it had a CAT nose

because Pisces are cat people with the big front paws

it was maybe made has a gift to the Pisces constellation
because earth was about the enter in Pisces for a big 2000 yrs
and it is the last cycle of the big 26000 yrs cycle
this 21 December will mark the end of Pisces
and then the Age of Aquarius will start

but back then the Sphinx was looking directly at the Pisces Constellation

A sphinx (Greek: Σφίγξ /sphinx, Bœotian: Φίξ /Phix) is a mythical creature with, as a minimum, the body of a lion and the head of a human or a cat.

In Greek tradition, it has the haunches of a lion, the wings of a great bird, and the face of a woman. She is mythicised as treacherous and merciless. Those who cannot answer her riddle suffer a fate typical in such mythological stories, as they are killed and eaten by this ravenous monster.[1] Unlike the Greek sphinx which was a woman, the Egyptian sphinx is typically shown as a man (an androsphinx). In addition, the Egyptian sphinx was viewed as benevolent in contrast to the malevolent Greek version and was thought of as a guardian often flanking the entrances to temples.

Wiki

Any experts able to confirm what the Sphinx nose looked like ?
edit on 10/15/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
orignaly it was an statue of an lion.... converted to an farao face.... guess the nose was to weak afterwards to survive...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Wasn't it destroyed by thieves who thought it was full of gold/jewels?

But when they destroyed the nose area, they realized it was just all solid rock/stone, therefore that is why the nose was destroyed.

Well that's what I've heard!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The nose was destroyed by wind/rain erosion. When the Sphinx was built the climate in the area was very different to what it is now. Previous studies have shown that it suffered from rain erosion in the past.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nolabel

"Examination of the Sphinx's face shows that long rods or chisels were hammered into the nose, one down from the bridge and one beneath the nostril, then used to pry the nose off towards the south" (Lehner, Mark (1997). The Complete Pyramids. Thames & Hudson. p. 41)

Oh, and the correct Wikipedia article to link is here.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Sometimes it looks like it fell off but it may have been a beak like Horus beak? It is a mystery somewhat.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Another question.

Why are most ancient statues missing a nose (regardless of what civilisation)?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I thought it was because later pharaohs used removing the nose as a method of denouncing a previous leader....or was that the romans? Or did the romans learn that from the egyptians?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Because he was a Jew.

Everyone hates my peeps.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I lived at the foot of the Borghese Gardens for seven years and every day would visit the sculpture area - everyone attributed the broken noses to vandalism by kids but now I know otherwise.

(Over the course of ten months in 1985, a demented biology professor broke the noses off of eighty stone statues installed in Rome’s Villa Borghese Gardens, including notable works by the sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini. Upon his arrest, police discovered that the man was carrying all of the noses with him in a plastic bag. When asked why he had attacked the statues, he claimed, “The KGB are after me.” He then gave the police a slip of paper on which he’d written, “I am a UFO.”)

edit on 15-10-2012 by Vitruvian because: text

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Sphinxs faces are very accurate on symmetry. Maybe the stone cutter had too much beer and made a mistake...

This is what Wikipedia says

The Egyptian Arab historian al-Maqrīzī, writing in the 15th century AD, attributes the loss of the nose to iconoclasm by Muhammad Sa'im al-Dahr, a Sufi Muslim from the khanqah of Sa'id al-Su'ada. In AD 1378, upon finding the Egyptian peasants making offerings to the Sphinx in the hope of increasing their harvest, Sa'im al-Dahr was so outraged that he destroyed the nose, and was hanged for vandalism.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Yeah, I read somewhere that it was originally a lion head and that some king had it redone in his image.
So I would think, after the re-work, it would be weaker, more suseptable to the elements?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by faryjay
Wasn't it destroyed by thieves who thought it was full of gold/jewels?

But when they destroyed the nose area, they realized it was just all solid rock/stone, therefore that is why the nose was destroyed.

Well that's what I've heard!

I have heard the same thing except I heard it was Nazi's instead. I have also heard this about Petra as well, here is a picture of it... Has anyone have any other information on this?

Wikipedia - Petra

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka
Sphinxs faces are very accurate on symmetry. Maybe the stone cutter had too much beer and made a mistake...

This is what Wikipedia says

The Egyptian Arab historian al-Maqrīzī, writing in the 15th century AD, attributes the loss of the nose to iconoclasm by Muhammad Sa'im al-Dahr, a Sufi Muslim from the khanqah of Sa'id al-Su'ada. In AD 1378, upon finding the Egyptian peasants making offerings to the Sphinx in the hope of increasing their harvest, Sa'im al-Dahr was so outraged that he destroyed the nose, and was hanged for vandalism.

Egyptian stone carvers didn't make mistakes.................

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The nose was the unfortunate victim of target practice by the Turks in the Turkish period

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
it was a lion facing towards constalation leo 25 000 years ago.
when napolians army got to egypt,only the head was exposed with the rest covered in sand.
they used the nose of the sphinx for target practice,and shot it off!!!
any way, you can thank napolian for modern archeology,because he had his scientists dig out,
and measure every part of the pyramids,sphinx,and everything else they could find in egypt!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The sphinx was buried for centuries under the sands of the saharra dessert. That explains the damage. Looking at many old statues you will find that extremities will often become damaged. Noses or fingers are missing on a lot of old statues.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
The nose was the unfortunate victim of target practice by the Turks in the Turkish period

and im the king of Egypt !

Thats exactly what they want us to think
heard this target practice theory many times

when something doesnt make sense .. it means somebody is trying to hide the truth !

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I remember my history teacher telling me the nose is gone because of napoleons troops having cannon target practice...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join