It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing Video During Space Jump

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
For those of you that watched the space jump, you may have noticed that they cut the camera away from the jumper right when he was reaching top velocity. When they came back, he was suddenly spinning out of control for a short bit. Is there something they didn't want us to see? Or is it just coincidence that they cut away from the video just as he was reaching top velocity and coincidence that when they came back they had a closer shot AND he was spinning out of control.

I don't think they actually showed this video live, even though it said "live" on the screen. I think they probably performed the original jump on the original day so that if something went wrong they could splice in a second jump. No need to mortify the public. Or maybe it was all as presented. Move along.

@4:26

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
No it happened live. Many different sources were looking at the event from the ground as it happened.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Thanks for the video . The video quality is so good .
It is the same video that the whole world watched.
edit on 15-10-2012 by Albioriix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
According to this CBS news article, the jump was broadcasted with a delay, probably in case something bad happened. .
CBS article

While it had been pegged as a live broadcast, it was actually under a 20-second delay

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yep I saw it on the Discovery Channel.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

I didnt watch it live I just watched your link and TBH I am a little suspicious, Why, with all those cameras on the ground is the bit where he starts to spin missing, why is that the only bit of film we loose him I mean the two screen image works really well

star and flag

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Here is the "helmet cam" footage while he was in the uncontrolled spin

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I too watched it live
edit on 15-10-2012 by Albioriix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
How did he break terminal velocity?

I remember as a kid watching the bowling ball and marble drop 20ft and them hitting the ground at the same time as they both reached terminal velocity and could go no faster.

Was the thin air a factor that allowed him to go faster?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kryton
How did he break terminal velocity?

I remember as a kid watching the bowling ball and marble drop 20ft and them hitting the ground at the same time as they both reached terminal velocity and could go no faster.

Was the thin air a factor that allowed him to go faster?

Yes....at that altitude it is dang near a vacum. He started to slow down as the atmosphere got thicker. I guess because he had no forward, orbital velocity, or wasn't any higher, he didn't have to worry about "re-entry" friction???

As far as cutting away, I watched on Discovery live, a buddy of mine said CNN cutaway, but I don't recall Discovery cutting away. A couple of back and forths between him an mission control, but nothing looked out of the oridnary. Saw the spin and everything.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace
Here is the "helmet cam" footage while he was in the uncontrolled spin

Hmmm Nice find but still not convinced

Ok correct me if Im wrong (and I probably am) but you jump, and you control your self through the air, so as what you see coming toward you stays the same picture (Not spinning) where and when did he go, from viewing the ground on an even plane/plain sort of speak, to spining out of controlm.
I need to see the whole helmet cam did he hit something or just loose control ???????????

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamLaw
No it happened live. Many different sources were looking at the event from the ground as it happened.

Oh, well if they tell us that then it must be true.

C'mon, OP has a good point.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Well, it definitely happened yesterday, as I live close enough to see the balloon go up and then get really round as it hit the uppermost altitutde.

I was also watching on the Discovery Channel, and I had thought we would have seen something from one of the cameras on the space suit / helmet, but it only showed a far away shot of him falling, and then going into that dreadful death spin for a while, then smoothing out for a good landing.

The only question I have is, I could see that balloon, still eerily clearly, at 128,000 ft up. Then he jumped, so I went inside to watch the jump. When I went back outside after a few minutes, the balloon was gone.

What happened to it? Did it pop? Did they deflate it? Where did the capsule go?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
The only question I have is, I could see that balloon, still eerily clearly, at 128,000 ft up. Then he jumped, so I went inside to watch the jump. When I went back outside after a few minutes, the balloon was gone.

What happens to the balloon after Felix jumps?

After Felix has landed, Mission Control will trigger the separation of the capsule and balloon, so that the capsule can descend under its parachute. A nylon "destruct line" will release the helium so that the balloon returns to Earth. Then, the team will gather the envelope into a large truck, a process that can take several hours.

www.redbullstratos.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Can someone explain, how he managed or is it even possible for him to achieve to stabilize fall after fast out of control spining seconds before?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
To me it looked like he was already spinning @ 4:20 before they cut away. A slow spin at first, then when they came back he's tumbling fast.

The helmet cam seems to show this too. That view is amazing! It looks like he's so high up that he might just float away from earth.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Well, it definitely happened yesterday, as I live close enough to see the balloon go up and then get really round as it hit the uppermost altitutde.

I was also watching on the Discovery Channel, and I had thought we would have seen something from one of the cameras on the space suit / helmet, but it only showed a far away shot of him falling, and then going into that dreadful death spin for a while, then smoothing out for a good landing.

The Balloon was deflated and the capsule landed. Did you miss the part when they had the chute open on the capsule not long after he touched down?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown
Can someone explain, how he managed or is it even possible for him to achieve to stabilize fall after fast out of control spining seconds before?

I think at one point he went onto his back and went limp to keep from spinning, had to have been ultra hard to do but this happens to skydivers. You can break out of a tight spin if you don't loose consciousness (actually thought he was going to at one point).

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown

I have done some skydiving.....there is a specific body posture that you have to maintain to remain stable. It's generally called a "hard arch" and is the traditional skydiving pose commonly seen. Arms out, back arched, pelvis slightly down, head and sholders back, legs spread apart evenly. It creats a center of balance and an aerodynamicly stable position for the human body. Even if you break this position, or don't get it at first, or fall out of the plane in weird body position, you can hit this position at just about any speed, angle, altitude, position and stabilize very quickly. Standard procedure...was out of control once myself....HARD ARCH!! BAM!!! right back where I need to be.

As he jumped out at the higher altitude there was very little if any atmosphere, so he started a roll, which started the spin. As the atmosphere thickened, there was enough air to flow over/around his body that the "hard arch" worked and stabilized him.

No conspiracy here, just basic skydiving techniques.

new topics

top topics

join