It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I get hired at a temp agency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
and now am sitting here waiting and hoping for a call - though fact of the matter is, there are zero jobs available in not just this temp agency, but the other 8 around the vicinity. I live in the middle of no where as most know. Meh, I don't feel like rehashing my life and what I have and do not have and why I can't just 'get work anywhere'. It's all legit issues and stuff.

Just feels great to be hired, yet cruddy to be hired yet zero jobs are available for the unseen future.
I'm putting in a resume for the local library here in town for assistant librarian. 15 hours a week but it will definitely help out while I wait for that factory job to open to me. I hope it's factory. Most all around here give 12 hr days 6 to 7 days a week at like 10 to 12 an hour. That's a LOT of money to me. A LOT.

Proactively seeking work yet zero to be found. I wonder how many are applying for the librarian job? I know that the moment mcd's or subway here in town have an opening, they get over 300 applications for it. How do I know? I know the managers there. Why can't I get hired? Misdemeanor theft from cashing a work check back in 2002. Like I said, I won't regurgitate my tale as it can be found easily from past posts.

I heard jobs are coming back.
Really?
I have yet to see this around here in Southern Ilinois. Matter of fact, THE biggest factory here in town is picking up and moving to Kentucky soon. My town will be a ghost town cuz of that.

All I want to do is get off food stamps, out of housing, and be ME again. argh. Total argh. I'm tired of false hopes in the job front. It's too ridiculous to have one or two openings and people from 70 mile radius' come to apply for them.

You know the economy is in trouble when that crap happens.

I had to call my kids grampa to borrow 100 dollars off him for necessities. I done sold all I own already. No movies, no books, no tvs in the home, no radios. Sold a couch, a table, an old pc, printer, clothing. I really have nothing else to sell any more. What do I do now? Tried starting a house cleaning business. This is a very poor town and no one can afford it. period. No car. No license. Gotta pay 1200 to get that back. I got one house to clean a month for 35 dollars.

......................................................... one little break would work nicely. I hope the temp agency comes through OR i get that job at the library. Something has to give. If one person tells me to sell my laptop, I'll e-kick them. That is THE only entertainment I and my son have. I have a good imagination but seriously. I can't stare at the walls all day when not job hunting. No. Laptop stays. Grateful the neighbor lets me leech off their net.

I had ZERO issues finding work in 2008. I even became shift manager at Arbys - and they knew of my misdemeanor for theft and still gave me a chance and I loved the job. Was there til they closed and I had to move down here. A friend drove us down here. Since the job economy bs, I can not get hired anywhere. til i found that temp agency, god bless em. So I'm in the door. Just waiting on work. Every day I pray they'll call me and tell me I'm set to go to so and so and work.

God I miss working. I miss coming home exhausted. I miss the joy of payday. I miss the rewards of working hard. I miss my self esteem and respect.
I miss complaining about long hours too hehe.

Something has to give. I really am grateful for the food stamps and housing but seriously.

Seriously.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

You are young, educated, intelligent and talented; I am glad that the temp agency hired you. I think that will be a good stepping stone to future more permanent employment.

I hope the best for you. I really like how you do appreciate life; even though you are going through a rough time right now.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Your income is at least 35 a month so save two months worth and go online and learn how to make products like soap or something else you can sell. The internet if full of ideas. Go to Youtube or Pinterest and watch some Do It Yourself videos.

You can also get someone to take you to yard sales, buy items cheap and turn around flip it on places like Craigslist or Facebook yard sale. Be creative and you can make that extra buck.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Perhaps this thread may be of use to you. I hope so.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I just got back and saw the gas station was hiring so I took an app.

They ONLY ask if you ever been convicted of a felony

no, no I have not. OH DO HIRE ME. I'm turning it in tomorrow and will give the call back in a few days to 'check on the status of my application'. So I have 3 opportunities now.

That idea of the soap/yard sales is a good idea. Don't know why I never thought of it before. Thanks for all the tips, everyone

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

You are young, educated, intelligent and talented; I am glad that the temp agency hired you. I think that will be a good stepping stone to future more permanent employment.

I hope the best for you. I really like how you do appreciate life; even though you are going through a rough time right now.

Well in March I will be 40 and it's harder to get work around here once people seem to reach 40 sadly. :/ I've noticed that a lot. Kinda scary but I am so not giving up.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

40 is still young; it may not seem like it now/ but it is. I am glad you are not giving up.

Is your Avatar a picture of you?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

40 is still young; it may not seem like it now/ but it is. I am glad you are not giving up.

Is your Avatar a picture of you?

Yeah, that's me
taken about 2 months ago or so. Kind of wish I was 23 again, hehe. A lot of things I'd do differently. But then again, if that were possible, who knows how I'd be today. Better? Worse? I suppose this is just fine. ^_^ I mean it could be better but all in all, I'm content.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

You look a lot younger than 40! You should feel really good about that!

Please let us know; what happens. a lot of people on here really care...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your hardships, but I would like to add a bit that may be helpful.

Remember that "temp" jobs are just that "temp", that means that it can end at any point, if your already used to living on a small budget, save everything you can, it will be hard at first when you see your first check, just remember "temp'.

If there is a food pantry near you that you can go to, try to go there before going food shopping, lots of times you can get smaller items from them and save at the supermarket.

Don't think of almost being 40 as a bad thing, let that be a selling point during interviews, as you are not young, and will appreciate your job, as an adult. Not trying to say anything about younger people, but places where I live are now only hiring people over the age of 27 due to younger people constantly calling in or not showing up.

If you have the time and you are free and there is a pantry but you feel uncomfortable, you can donate your time once or twice a week just to feel like you have also helped others in a similar situation and feel better about receiving the food/help.

There is also baby sitting there are others out there that are trying to keep their jobs but childcare is very expensive, you can make a deal with someone, a barter perhaps that can help the both of you.

Also and I have written this in another threads years ago, if you happen to know people in a the same situation, you can always have a small group of you, that can add to items that you can share, especially food. You can buy rice, another beans, another meat, and can make one large pot luck and divide amongst each other, this would also make things easier on all your budgets.

Look on the internet for dinners that are filling and cheap, there are literally millions of recipes out there.

I hope some of this helps, and good luck to you, NRE.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Temp work often leads to full time work. If you are good as a temp and the boss likes you and he has an opening coming up, he is more likely to hire someone that he knows does good work rather than go through those 300 applications.

Many people I have worked with started out as a temp and obtained full time work.

Well done!

P

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Unforunately, youve now been "accepted" as a "potential-temp" worker...and not really "hired". If you get some work, either occassionally, or long term temp to permanent, then you can say youve been "hired". Even then, it means you will be then "currently temporary-employed". And none of that means you are "employed" as in definitely part time 20-hr or full time 40 for a set company. My wife has registered with every temp agency you can think of...and the phone hasnt rung once in 2 years. Not once. So, off course she re-applied and the old "We'll call you when something comes up". There are 1,000s of unemployed workers like yourself registered at those same companies..waiting for the same "We'll call you when...." Its depressing and distressing as well.
Now on to the bright side.

I worked for a temp company at a large food industry marketing department. That led me to another temp company, that employed me at a large midwestern University Hospital. I was paid daily at the temp comp. One day a Supervisor at the Hospital stopped and told me to apply for his department. I did, and was hired and got into the union AFSCME 1583 right away. My income immediately went up and was quadrupled with full benefits. In the end, I retired from there after 12 years with a $50k 401...and moved into another career all together.

So, yes its possible. That 1st call (if you get one) from the temp company is great except unless you get a 2nd and 3rd and 4th...it doesnt mean much in the long run. The best you can hope for is they give a "permanent-assignment' as a temp somewhere. Unfortunately, that too doesnt mean you are permanently hired. But its the way to go.

Dont give up and apply for everything. Shoe store, house keeping, health aid, gas station...everything. Its not that you would want to work those jobs...but sometimes? One thing leads to something totally unrelated to what youre applying for. It happened to me.

God Bless and keep the faith! MS

PS U2U me anytime if you want to discuss...

join