It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads Up! Skip This Thread, My Message Is Not For You!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Don't take it to heart NRE. When it happens to me, I shrug it off and laugh because, IMO, it means they couldn't find a hole in my argument - so they were forced to resort to nit picking it apart.

Not knowing how anyone else does this... But I treat ATS posts differently than I would a letter or professional presentation. I try to make what I write, here, more casual - more as if it were spoken. That approach, in my opinion, better suits this medium of communication. If one has a lot to say and uses proper, indented paragraphs to do so? Well it ends up being the dreaded wall of text. I can read a solid paragraph in a book. But on a monitor? Much more difficult on the eyes.

Most of us are here conversing with text as the tool. Not writing academic papers. Therefore, I think, most of us do respect a more casual approach here, and understand why it was chosen. It is the more effective method in this environment.

In my own case, I sometimes mess up on the "your-you're" and "then than" thing and I also sometimes misspell proper nouns or other words my spell check isn't sure of. I try to Google anything with a spell check flag - but with proper names I sometimes do not, thinking that my spelling was correct. But this does not mean that I do not know the difference or proper usages. What it does mean is that I can type about eighty words per minute and, as mentioned, tend to view this more as a conversational medium - so I rarely proofread. Even when I do, it is usually only cursory and quick.

All in all... I have a half sister who is a professor and is very anal about grammar. I never write her and have only spoken to her a few times. She is dry, boring, and irksome to deal with. I'd rather be capable of mistakes and a bit fun. Ya know?

Actually the people who are super anal about grammar, spelling, and structure? Well it actually says more about them than it does about the writer anyway. And if they can't see the forest for the trees? Well, that's their problem. No?

~Heff

edit on 10/14/12 by Hefficide because: abusing the word "actually" - five yard penalty.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I'm happy someone made this thread , and I had to chuckle at the member from the other thread who said if they misspell a word he tends to just ignore the post and move on...

I actually love the "creative" ways some people express themselves, by steering away from the "proper" English way of writing.

I've created a thread similar to this after getting so tired of spelling nazis, and the judgement.

Makes one wonder if these types are the same ones who scream about freedom of speech, and not letting ourselves become slaves to others opinions and laws...because it seems a little hypocritical to get so wound up about spelling rules, or the freedom of being creative in the way one can express themselves through text.

I too find it hard to read long paragraphs of text on the monitor , which is why I don't tend to use paragraphs properly...and I sometimes use the wrong spelling for a word, but quite frankly I think there are far more important things I should be concerned about than a few spelling or grammar errors.

Heff said it so correctly when he said that it says a lot more about them than it does about those they complain about.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
*See's title of thread*
*Instantly hovers over and clicks*

Temptations get the best of us it seems. But excellent post, we all make mistakes, you can't blame us, we are only human. Those that start screaming "OMG YOU MADE A GRAMMATICAL/SPELLING ERROR" make the same errors at one point or another. It's so childish. The only time I correct is when the other person constantly does it.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
As an ex-English major, I admit that sometimes when I read misspellings or grammar errors, I cringe.

But using that as a way to answer someone's post is just the last refuge of one who cannot come up with a cogent argument.

What's great about the spelling/grammar Nazis is that so frequently in their criticisms, they make spelling/grammar errors themselves. That, I WILL point out to them, because they have proven themselves to be both hypocrites and fools.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

My grandma is a nice person. She isn't bad.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

If you cannot be bothered to look your posts over to make sure they are mostly error-free, than how can we trust that you would put any more care into researching whatever it is you're posting about. That's the funny thing about people who complain about so-called "grammar nazis." You don't even seem to realize that if you are careless with spelling and grammar, than people who actually do pay attention to details will assume that you are just as careless in your research. It's kind of funny that you just view it through an emotional lens and make no effort to see the flip side of the coin. Oh, btw, this message IS for you and anyone else who gets all pissy at the slightest criticism of their lack of attention to detail. Emotions are not your friend on this website.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

If you cannot be bothered to look your posts over to make sure they are mostly error-free, than how can we trust that you would put any more care into researching whatever it is you're posting about. That's the funny thing about people who complain about so-called "grammar nazis." You don't even seem to realize that if you are careless with spelling and grammar, than people who actually do pay attention to details will assume that you are just as careless in your research. It's kind of funny that you just view it through an emotional lens and make no effort to see the flip side of the coin. Oh, btw, this message IS for you and anyone else who gets all pissy at the slightest criticism of their lack of attention to detail. Emotions are not your friend on this website.

Emphasis mine

You said "than" instead of "then", which would be correct.

Now, see how irritating and counter productive it is? Just sayin'.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Your post contained a grammatical error (highlighted), "Nazis" should have been capitalized, "btw" is a contraction and "pissy" is slang, at best.

edit on 15/10/2012 by chr0naut because: Pot calling kettle black.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Let he who never makes errors be the first to criticize.
Glad somebody else around here starts their sentences with "And."

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn

Hear iz the whey eye c it.

The folks who disregard the content due to spelling mistakes obviously lack the brain power that their maker gave a gnat. Those folks seem to lack the ability to think critically, and the only means they have in their intellectual arsenal to elevate themselves into relevance is to attack spelling/grammar errors. In this way, these folks tend to think they have now become witty and dashingly clever. To my way of thinking however, they tend to make themselves out to be the nitwits they actually are.

Go get 'em NRE....and I'm right behind you!!

I agree My Own. First of all let me say you're Avatar is Most Cool. I used to be Word warrior before my Stroke, it took me 3 years to learn how to read again, and i used to be a stickler for grammar.
Now i have learned after watching people struggle learning how to read after a Stroke humbling.
I have learned to give, and take when somebody is trying to get a point across in the written word.
That is all you can do because none of us are immune to stroke, these people should think themselves lucky that they still have a mind, and the ability to write IMO.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I just came here because the topic said it was not for me.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

OK, you can dish it out, lets see if you can also take it. In two places in your post you used the wrong word. The word you used is "than" when it should have been "then". Oh, and nazis should also have been Nazis.

Now for my reply to the OP. While I do find that serious problems with spelling and grammar make a post more difficult to read I also have enough respect for a persons opinion to give it a fair read anyway. The only place that I am really bothered by poor spelling and grammar is when it is in an article supposedly written by a professional journalist who should be better acquainted with "the tools of the trade".

I also use spell check on my posts and check them both before I post them and after as well. However, an occasional typo or word form misuse (there their etc) will slip through. If a person finds that they cannot abide by these simple mistakes then they are perfectly welcome to skip over my post. Their loss...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

to be blunt - i do not believe anyone one actually BELIEVES the excuse :

" you cannot spell , ergo you argument is invalid "

please do not take umbrage - i know they use it - it just do not accept that they actually believe it

its just another pathetic excuse to allow the age old tactic of ` running away ` to be disguised as something else

other classic interne synomons for " i am running away now " include :

you are a govt shil / paid disinfo agent / cointelpro

you are a tinfoil hat wearing nutter

you listen to alex jones / sean hannity / rush limbaugh / fox news / CNN

you dont listen to alex jones / sean hannity / rush limbaugh / fox news / CNN

you believe NASA - lol ?

if you believe that then you must believe < insert some idiotic drivel >

if you dont believe me why are you here ?

you hate isreal - you must be an idiot

you support isreal - you must be an idiot

etc etc etc

all blatant indicators that ` running away ` is in progress

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
this was a real problem here a while ago.
people would jump all over you for improper grammar, basically trying to destroy
your credibility, without even reading the thread topic!
it has gotten better!
i just think of the 'grammar police' can't find any flaws with the thread,
so they attack the grammar!
these are the same people who would make fun of a person
for having a thick accent,and uses broken english.
its easier to hate,than to understand!
i group these type of people here together with the swamp gas,chinese lantern,pics or it didn't happen
people.
if people don't have anything constructive to add - good or bad,
why bother posting then???!!!

oh ya,i forgot.
THERE TROLLS!!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I have flagged some threads attacking general condition and which spoke of more than one condition. I too make many mistakes in typing. This doesn't bother me but, the thumbs up I gave to a post was related to name calling and bashing a person for bringing up a post or when two people decide to have a rip at each other in a thread and it has nothing to do with the content.

This stuff drives me up a tree. However typos that you mention do not. I read your heading and yours was the first I read because it sounded like there was trouble with a member who was not comfortable.

Though I am new myself I can relate to what you say. I have been referred to as idiot and so on for posting things by intolerance.

Good on you for bringing up what I realize is wrong. I will not give kudos to a thread that lumps things all together again.

Thanks

edit on 15-10-2012 by BewilderedandAmused because: TYPOS. Oh' that's funny I am laughing out loud.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
And, the people said, "Amen."

What's so wrong about Amen-Ra

en.wikipedia.org...

All hail the sun god!

Oh, back on subject. Spellang errorz...and, structured phrases.
As long that it's comprehensible, I really don't mind imperfection and those that deny the message for that reason are stuck-up. Get off your high horses.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
It is considered grammatically correct to start a sentence with And these days. Yes I know that the buzz word is that it is still incorrect it is not true. And is acceptable language.

Can you start a sentence with and?

"Below you will find some examples.

But I am still awaiting his reply.

"Can be written as:

However, I am still awaiting his reply.
Although I am still awaiting his reply.
Nevertheless, I am still awaiting his reply.

And she was running very fast."

edit on 15-10-2012 by BewilderedandAmused because: Forgot to add the link.

edit on 15-10-2012 by BewilderedandAmused because: TYPOS. Oh' that's funny I am laughing out loud.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I agree. A typo or miss-spelled word here or there is common place . This is ATS not English 101. I was at the restaurant my daughter manages, and she showed me a bill a waitress wrote up. The waitress is from the Ukraine. She was ordering chicken noodle soup. It was spelled this way " Cheek-n Nuudle Soap"

We all are different in so many ways. But it seems as if bad spellers are world wide.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Hi Erveynoe..............

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig, huh ? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt !
Tahts so cool !

Now, mroe iprmoatnlty, wehre are all the UFO's!!!!
edit on 15-10-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join