It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heinz Kerry pays middle class tax!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Yeah. Kerry is for the middle class. Especially for his wife whose tax rate is
lower than that of most of the middle class. This is disgusting

"The news is that $2.78 million of that income came in the form of tax- exempt interest from what the Kerry campaign's press release attributed to investments in 'state, municipal and public entity bonds.' What the campaign didn't say is that these are the kind of investments that rich people can afford to hire lawyers and accountants to steer their money into."

On her "remaining 'taxable' income of $2.29 million, Mrs. Kerry paid $627,150 in taxes, for an overall average federal tax rate of only 12.4% on her $5.07 million in total income." This "puts Mrs. Kerry's tax rate at well below that of other filers in her super-rich neighborhood. But it also means she is paying a lower average rate than nearly all middle- class taxpayers paid in 2001, the last year for which the IRS has published the data.

The top 50% of all federal filers contributed 96.1% of all federal income taxes in 2001, and they paid an average income-tax rate of 15.9%. That's 3.5-percentage points more than Mrs. Kerry paid in 2003." At the "very least, Mrs. Kerry's tax returns are a screaming illustration of the need for reform to make the tax code simpler and fairer. But they also show that Senator Kerry's proposed tax increases are much more about a revenue grab than they are about tax justice."

drudgereport.com...

I realize that the wealthy have various ways of investing so that they don't have to pay outrageous taxes, but at the same time, she is NOT paying her fair share. Does this make anyone else irate?

Jemison

[edit on 18-10-2004 by Jemison]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The problem is that most people do not realize who actually pays the taxes. It's the middle class. I fail to see why most people still believe the Kerry lie that only 1% got 90% of the tax cuts. If you pay 10 dollars in taxes and get 10% back then you get 1 dollar back. If a person pays 100 dollar in taxes and gets 10% back, then he gets 10 dollars back. so we have two people who have paid 110 in taxes and at a 10% rebate, 11 goes back to the tax payer, why should the guy who paid 10 dollars complain about the guy who pays 100 dollars in taxes. Only the Democrats who complain that the rich got back more.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I just find it very ironic that Kerry and his wife claim to be for the middle class and accuse Bush of fighting for the drug companies (an area that Kerry is heavily invested in) and not the people and getting tax deductions for the wealthy when on a personal level Kerry and his wife are doing everything they can to pay the least amount of taxes.

I'm not in that upper tax bracket (unless Kerry gets into office) but my brother and Mother are. My brother paid almost as much in taxes as Heinz Kerry did and he didn't make NEARLY the amount of money that she did.

I think the Kerrys are disgraceful. They can easily afford to pay their fair share of taxes and yet they take advantage of the system so that they pay LESS than their fair share. They are not for the middle class. They are for themselves.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
They are not for the middle class. They are for themselves.

Jemison

Show me a politician who isn't. Do you really believe that these guys run for the history factor. LOL

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Seems that the Bush's paid 30% tax bracket, It seems that we have one President who wants to do what's right, and one guy who want's to do what's best for his pockets.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison I realize that the wealthy have various ways of investing so that they don't have to pay outrageous taxes, but at the same time, she is NOT paying her fair share. Does this make anyone else irate?
Isn't more a problem of the system, than one person's attempt to reduce their overall taxes? If the loophole exists, you honestly think people won't take advantage of it? The problem is not how "rich people" find ways to avoid paying taxes on a portion of their income, it's the fact that they can.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Yeah right......Bush & Co. are just the friend of the regular working Joe, not like those nasty Dems.

Mmmmm, that'll be sooooooo convincing!

[edit on 18-10-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Now, Jemison, tell the rest of it.

"Ms. Heinz Kerry paid a federal tax of $628,401, which is 12.3 percent of her total income and 27.4 percent of her adjusted gross income.

"She was a big beneficiary of the reductions in tax rates on dividends and capital gains that have been enacted under President Bush. She collected more than $2.2 million in dividends, all of which qualified for the new 15 percent tax rate, saving her $440,000, compared with the 35 percent rate that previously applied to dividends for those with million dollar-plus incomes.

"Mr. Kerry, during the campaign, has proposed raising income taxes and dividends taxes on Americans who make over $200,000 back to the levels that they were before 2001, changes that would have an effect on his wife."

source:
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Sandge, the problem is not that she is using loopholes in our taxcode. She can pay more taxes if she wants in Mass. but both Kerry and Teresa decline to do so. I don't blame them, but why should they claim that they are in favor of more taxes on the rich when they refuse to pay them. I wish I could afford to use loop holes, but then, I am not a wealthy person.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
In Mass, one can opt to overpay their taxes and earmark where that overpayment will go. Interesting how Kerry and Heinz Kerry have never done that. Especially since they were so OPPOSED to the tax cut for the wealthy. They had the OPTION to overpay, and they most certainly could afford to overpay, so if they want to push for rolling back the taxcuts for the wealthy than they should have set an example and made an overpayment.

And we all know that even if Kerry rolls back the tax cut to what it was when Clinton was in office, his wife will still find a way to pay less in taxes, percentage wise, than what her fair share will be.

And, if that's true that Bush paid at a 30% tax rate, and Heinz paid at 24%, what does that say? You think Bush is worth more than Heinz Kerry? Not even close!

Jemison

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
So it's come to this, has it? THK -- or more accurately, her tax attorneys -- followed the IRS code and paid every dime she was required to by law...and now she's a bad person because she didn't deliberately *overpay*? That's completely ridiculous.

If you think the tax code is unfair, why aren't you placing the blame where it really belongs?

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
we Republicans are, we want to redue the Democratic Tax code. The Tax Code that we currently have was establish by the Democratic controlled Congress during the Carter Administration.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

THK -- or more accurately, her tax attorneys -- followed the IRS code and paid every dime she was required to by law...and now she's a bad person because she didn't deliberately *overpay*? That's completely ridiculous.

I just think it's telling that two people who are so utterly opposed to Bush's tax cuts would opt to take such extreme advantage of it. Just my opinion. Obviously you don't agree.

Jemison

top topics

join