It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death of Compassion

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneCloudHopper2

have so many people always been like this and it took an anonymous tool like the Internet to just reveal it?

You asked a question but I think you already know the answer.

How many times do you say something in the privacy of your own home about something or someone that you would never say if you thought people were listening? Because then you might be a *gulp* BULLY?

How often do you think 'Oh my that's too bad but better them than me'?

The internet is kinda like the same thing. It's the ability to voice your opinion with minimal backlash.

I don't think the internet changed the way people are it just shows what people are.

edit on 13-10-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

Division is a part of life. The physical contruct of the world and life is made up of elements and materials divided and grouped. The is the inevitable idosyncrazies of
fractellum , this and that, earth, wind, fire and dirt. There is no way around this except to enjoy the shield of your keyboard because if this was a real life open forum, in person with people debating across a table divide, they will be taking sides quickely and picking targets. The compassionates ones are always the first they go for cause they are the easiest to roll over.

edit on 13-10-2012 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I would say there are a lot of young selfish people around who have not appreciated the struggles older generations have made in creating the world they live in. This results in a lack f compassion for the elderly and the sick. It makes them take for granted the efforts of previous generations, that helped bring about safe working conditions and a social safety net.

Now they are the young ones, who think they are invincible and won't grow old and frail, now there is no need for the safety hey, because at the moment they don't need it. And anyone who does is a low down scrounger. They will talk of the morality of taxes, while cutting Medicare to the most vulnerable. Its a dangerous Malthusian attitude that seems to prevalent.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
this thread is garbage,
compassion is dead?
travel back in time 100 years see how compassionate people are
travel back 500 years see how you go
travel back and chill out with cave men see how well they treat you

its not compassion thats dead, its strength
now we have a bunch of wimps who cant defend themselves,

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

if this was a real life open forum, in person with people debating across a table divide, they will be taking sides quickely and picking targets. The compassionates ones are always the first they go for cause they are the easiest to roll over.

If this was the real world, and not a forum of people hiding behind the glow of their computer screen, I would not want to go near it with all the people who I have seen saying who seem to think that violence/murder/death is a good solution for a problem.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Wait until those kids step into the real world, have to support themselves in this faltering economy, then begin to have kids of their own. I have always been compassionate and thankful for the things that my parents have provided for me but it took becoming an adult to finally realize just how important real empathy is.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by stopmakingsense
this thread is garbage,
compassion is dead?
travel back in time 100 years see how compassionate people are
travel back 500 years see how you go
travel back and chill out with cave men see how well they treat you

its not compassion thats dead, its strength
now we have a bunch of wimps who cant defend themselves,

My thread is garbage based on a title that I used to draw people's attention??
I thought that bringing up some people's blatant disregard for human life was a pretty valid statement.

And I don't think it makes someone wimpy to say that they are disgusted with people who find murder to be a positive solution to a problem. Or violence. Unless in the case of self defense. Maybe you are misunderstanding my original post a wee bit.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I agree and find it disheartening as well. People will post callous comments because they carry hurts when no one else was there to help. We all carry injuries that need to be dealt with and some we cannot do alone. We need to be there for others if we would want them to be there for us.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I agree and find it disheartening as well. People will post callous comments because they carry hurts when no one else was there to help. We all carry injuries that need to be dealt with and some we cannot do alone. We need to be there for others if we would want them to be there for us.

That is the problem with internet forums and faceless posts, sometimes, it is hard to distinguish between negativity spoken out of anger or negativity spoken out of a hidden need. I said it earlier, but I feel I should say it again, I feel bad for people who think death/violence is the solution. I wonder what happened in their lives to make them so hateful...

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
reply to post by cavalryscout

It's only words? Words can harm and hurt.

Words can kill. Be compassionate to those who are not by pointing out the wrongness in what they write. If people get stars for nasty zingers they will only hone their skills for more approval. People will continue to act is an unpleasant manner until they are admonished for it.

Beware that people writing inflammatory stuff desire to get a rise out of you - so correct them without getting inflamed yourself. Also, you really don't want to get on their level with name calling and berating.

OP, correcting someone's bad behaviour will help both of you. You did so (non-specifically) by making this thread.

It brings awareness to a problem and an opportunity to discuss it and hopefully self-reflection about our own level of compassion.

Star and Flag
edit on 10/13/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: S&F

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Thankyou for taking the time to read it. I don't strive to change anyone's behavior because it is not my place to dictate to them how they should react in response to a situation. But I do hope that people will begin to realize that crying "death" as a solution for a problem is disturbing trend that is becoming far to predominant in Internet forums and society in general.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Lust makes the spirit dull

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
When we look what media offers to us and have been offering the last 2-3 decades all what comes there is violence.
Not only shows which are for adults but also what they visually feed for our kids. For example Sponge Bob has been proven making our kids stupid, Simpson`s and when we go on, we got Southpark and JackAss etc.
We get blind to violence, to the point we don´t care anymore.

To get thrilled we need more and more violent movies and some movies doesn´t have a theme anymore just slaughtering like the Saw. We have became an adrenaline junkies.

In Schools those are the most "coolest" people, those who bullies others, and to other pupils its wiser to stay away. Its more like learnt behavior we have no compassion anymore.

edit on 13-10-2012 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I understand you 100% but i believe this is the result of how entertainment, media and edjucation have subverted America to the point where empathy is frowned upon! This is what is known as demoralization and ideological subversion! It may also be a result of fustration and a combination of other things depending on their situation.
I expect this to continue to get worse as America deteriorates! Unfortunatly there is not much we can do about it!
I had always expected to make a difference through edjucating others but today i see many of us are brainwashed beyond reprieve! All we can really do is hope for the best and prey when the worst comes a calling!
Have faith that the meek will eventually inherit the earth! God Bless my benevolent brothers and goodluck!

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
One can't change society. It's too dominated by the media bent on making us self minded and selfish. One CAN change their own lives and those around them though. Random acts of kindness. An example. A couple of years ago I was in a convenience store and the dude ahead of me didn't have the funds for a pack of smokes. So I bought them. He's like, "I'll pay you back." I said, "Don't worry about that. If you're in the same situation do the same thing." Did he? IDK but I like to think that he might. The cost minimal to me and it may have made a difference down the road.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Yes, I do believe that entertainment has desensitized the general populace. But there is also a line to draw between being desensitized to violence and promoting it. It is the promotion of violence/death in some people's opinions that bothers me. Like they actually feel no remorse in claiming that problems are easily solved by killing the people who caused the problem. I am not sure what drives another person to feel this way but some do. The "dumbing down" of society is sad but I don't think I can blame media/tv/ect. for causing some to completely disregard human life.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by nosacrificenofreedom
Unfortunatly there is not much we can do about it! I had always expected to make a difference through educating others but today i see many of us are brainwashed beyond reprieve! All we can really do is hope for the best and prey when the worst comes a calling!

It is important to point out to others that death is never the answer and it is not in anyone's place, or right, to condemn another to death because we disagree with their actions. This is something that shouldn't even need to be taught, it seems like a basic ethic to me. Everyone deserves the chance to right their own wrongs and realize that they have done wrong. The fact that some people are "brainwashed" to the extent that they would rather choose violence is a problem that will only go away when we all start to realize we are one in the same. We are all human. Flawed.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Absolutely! Random acts of kindness are something that is rare nowadays. And I don't believe that society is what needs to be changed in order to achieve a common understanding that human life is human life. People need to learn to recognize this inside. To understand we mustn't hate, judge, to the point of death because other humans make decisions we do not agree with. No matter how terrible some of those decisions/actions are.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Well it's encouraging to read your OP as it is proof that compassion is not dead yet. I think we all are at different places in our lives. Some people do seem to have zero compassion and it is certainly disheartening to me, personally.

I find that this world can be very cruel. It's sometimes very hard to be here. It's hard to see and hear things that are hateful especially when you are a very sensitive human that feels these things as if they were a physical assault on your own person.

I'm learning to focus on the more positive things in life but that is a very hard thing to do because the negatives always seem to be "louder" whereas the positives sometimes are a "quiet whisper."

I suppose all one can do is let their compassion out, loudly, so that others will have hope. I suppose that there will always be dark and light, I think without one there can not be the other.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

I find that this world can be very cruel. It's sometimes very hard to be here. It's hard to see and hear things that are hateful especially when you are a very sensitive human that feels these things as if they were a physical assault on your own person

I understand this more than many other people do. It is particularly saddening to me when I hear people, who I regard as people I love and great friends, make statements like "Oh those politicians, the only solution is to take em out back behind the barn and shoot them." Now I know that my friends are not bad people, are not in-compassionate, but I hear them say these things and I find myself questioning my ability to be friends with someone who makes bold statements such as that.

Statements that disregard human life make me the sickest.

As I said in my OP, it is a curse and a blessing to be so effected with empathy, and it seems you understand this well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join