It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Apps to Survive a Storm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I came across this on weather.com. I thought some of these are pretty cool and didn't even know they existed.

When we usually think of survival, we are trying to find ways to survive a post apocalwithoutyptic world without technology. But a survival situation can be a situation of one, or just getting you and your homestead through a storm.

But in short term, technology can be useful. Generator,anyone?
You can even extend it a few days in case of power outage. I have a crank flashlight that also has a port to charge a cell phone.

A neat survival tip I saw on a show once was in case of your building being on fire, to use your smart phone to take a picture of emergency exit map on a wall, that way you can carry the map with you as you try to navigate corridors, especially if a fire or other emergency detours you.

But I thought in addition to this, I would welcome any ideas on technology, apps, ideas, etc., that could be used in a survival situation.

Now the first one listed is a flashlight. I have that on my ipod. And I have used it when I have gotten stuck hiking after dark. I could see some of these apps, like the panaramic one, but used for other reasons too.

Flashlight: This app by iHandy Inc. will turn your cell phone into a flashlight if your power goes out. There are multiple lighting options from a night light to a Fire Truck light. Flashlight also comes with a compass which will allow you to find your direction in the darkness. Cost: FREE.

City Compass: This app uses information provided by your smart phone to locate the cities closest to you, show their distance and general directions. A gray beam shows your travel direction. If an evacuation route takes you to an unfamiliar area, this can help you find the nearest city to ride out the storm in. Cost: $0.99.

BoltMeter Lightning: This app shows real-time lightning strikes using a compass-based system to get up-to-the minute distance and direction within 30 miles from your location. The screen displays colors based on intensity with red being the highest risk. Cost: $1.99.

Dropbox: This app is for data storage and allows you to bring all your photos, important uploaded documents, and videos with you anywhere. Any file you save to your Dropbox is accessible from all your computer, iPhone, iPad and the Dropbox website. Cost: FREE.

360 Panorama: This app will allow you to take 360-degree panoramas everywhere including of your home, car or property if you experience storm damage. With these images you can instantly share your images with your insurance agent to start your claim process. Each image is GPS tagged with a compass heading. Cost: $0.99.

iDamage-Pushed: This app collects and displays storm damage reports from trained spotters, emergency responders and members of the public. Maps of storm events appear with colored pins and can be listed in table form to view full day or past events. Other features include Mesoscale discussions with maps, local hazardous weather warnings, and 24 hour radar. Cost: $1.99.

weather.com

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
aw, I am dissappointed that no one has anything to add. Has anyone tried these apps and can give a review on them?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
There is a wikihow survival guide that is pretty good. It includes first aid, vehicle emergencies and extreme disaster scenarios. It is pretty in depth and gives you access to other guides to- how to build a fire, and others
Best of all, it's free

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Angry birds, it is really great to pass the time until the storm goes away.

join