It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voter apathy hits ATS!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
[size=10]LAST [size=10]CHANCE [size=10]TO VOTE

Due to low voter turn out the ATS election will be terminated at 6:00 PM EST this evening.

Everyone who wants to vote has seemingly voted... and the results will be posted later today.

Well? who won?

[edit on 18-10-2004 by I_AM_that_I_AM]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
My vote is in, like a good witch's vote should be.

Please, vote. We need everyone to participate in the most important vote of your life times.
I'll help you. Vote Kerry for a safer and better America.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Why I chose to pass on that vote.

The question was raised as to why foreigners should matter; A vote was cast by one Kerry supporter and a super moderator chose to attack the choice of candidate as decided by that foreigner, said super moderator then continued on to denigrate that foreigner�s response to your request for ATS (all) members to cadt a vote, and castigated the voter as �another European liberal who thinks our election is his election.�

Apathy on my part it was not. Invited fodder for the people at the controls I wanted no part of.

[edit on 10/18/04 by SomewhereinBetween]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I see your point SomethingInBetween.

I tried voting twice, but the php wouldn't me...

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Gee, I missed it.

How long did it last?

I wish I had gotten in on that,
maybe another chance to do this,
with a longer voting window?

cheers

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I cannot believe after all the mud that is slung in the political forums the little amount of voters. Shame really I thought it was a good idea.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Hey, dont look at me. i voted as soon as i saw the banner!

because, as far as i am concerned, this "mock election" might be the last one i vote in that isnt rigged or that my vote might actually be counted in!

So did I...

BTW, this may be our last chance to vote PERIOD if Dubya gets back in....as in less than four years, we'd be up to our necks in WWIII and an Executive Order would be drafted that would postpone the elections until after the "crisis has abated" (to use Palpatine's words...an eerie homage of sorts)...

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Maybe the poor response was just a reflection of the fact that this site is overrun with endless bullshine about Kerry and Bush when that's probably not what the majority of ATSers come here for?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the statistics are so let me plant my discliamer right here
But, as usual in many message boards, far more people read than participate. So I think the turnout among the active portion of ATS membership (those that posts) would be significantly higher. But those that rarely post would follow their current trend and do nothing. So it would be interesting to see what portion of that 38% were active members (some arbitrary value, like post two times a week or something or a certain percentage of all posts) actually made up that percentage. I'm guessing it's like 78-89%.

Now I'm two cents poorer

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
A vote of NO confidence. It seems to be the majority vote every 4 years. Guess the world's ready for something new...some new form of government...maybe self-government?

there is no enemy anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SomewhereinBetween
Why I chose to pass on that vote.

The question was raised as to why foreigners should matter; A vote was cast by one Kerry supporter and a super moderator chose to attack the choice of candidate as decided by that foreigner, said super moderator then continued on to denigrate that foreigner�s response to your request for ATS (all) members to cadt a vote, and castigated the voter as �another European liberal who thinks our election is his election.�

Apathy on my part it was not. Invited fodder for the people at the controls I wanted no part of.

[edit on 10/18/04 by SomewhereinBetween]

Thanks SiB for pointing out the obvious flaws in the position of one of the "controllers". It's all fine, but for these few things:

* ThomasCrowne is known to froth at the mouth occasionally, he was bitten by his dog during a rabid period and occasionally things will come out when his medication schedule is a little behind. Forgiveness of these lapses is always in my heart;

* MaskedAvatar never said he voted in the poll;

* MaskedAvatar is not a "foreigner" and the xenophobic construct of "foreigner" is hardly befitting staff/members at an international website that purports to "Deny Ignorance" - it is amongst the most ignorant of poistions it is possible to adopt;

* If people really feel under threat of castigation by Mods there are plenty of less castigational places where opinions can be expressed. Besides, participation in a poll is still an option without additional keystrokes triggering a response by people who have been bitten by infectious dogs.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Actually I believe I understand some of the apathy for voting for an American candidate. I believe many overseas are probably not too crazy about voting for some foreign candidate in a mock election. I don't believe I would be too crazy about voting in a mock French or Australian election especially since I wouldn't really know the issues. I believe the foreign vote will skew the result towards Kerry and make this mock election somewhat meaningless to American polls. Voting here really won't change the final outcome either.

Although the big reason for voting is I like to see current opinion among viewers of web sites. An instantaneous result showing total voted and results is what I like to see. Here, I have seen nothing so far. Here's an example of what I like to see in viewing voting results. Note the survey question on the right side of the web site and you can immediately vote or just view results. www.thecarolinachannel.com...
This is the way (above) I like to see voting results displayed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join