It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Senate Push to Pledge Unconditional Support for Israeli Preventive War on Iran

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm not even American and this news upsets me so I can only imagine how most Americans will feel about this announcement.

Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) is planning to press the Senate next month to pledge U.S. troops, money, and political support to Israel should Bibi Netanyahu launch a preventive war on Iran.

Graham claims his effort would merely make explicit that the U.S. has Israel's back. But when your friend is drunk, you don't hand them the keys. If Graham has his way, he will hand Bibi the keys and lend him our car, while the rest of us ride shotgun.

Graham's planned measure would outsource the decision about whether the U.S. goes to war to the Israeli prime minister, pledging that if Bibi decides to act -- regardless of the consequences and our own calculations -- the U.S. will provide money, troops, and political leverage (presumably at the UN and IAEA where there will be a push to shred the sanctions and the Non-Proliferation Treaty).

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I know this is just one man's effort (so far) as it seems that most of the United States political scene has been distancing itself from a strike on Iran even as Bibi puts on the pressure. My theory is that this "distancing" is all election time theatrics.

If this effort were to go through it would mean even more American tax payer money going to Israel, and even worse it would mean the possible loss of American life while fighting Israel's wars. Too many Americans have died over the last decade because of wars based on lies, surely you all cannot let this happen again.

It puzzles me why the United States is so protective of Israel especially after all they have done in the past starting but not limited to the USS Liberty. Then of course there are the Israeli spy rings, and the remarks from Israeli politicians claiming how they control the United States. Heck, Bibi even lectured Obama live on TV in the Oval Office

Israel learn how fight your own wars and stop depending on other people's blood to protect your own!

And to the Canadian government, you better not follow suit like you always do!

If the US goes to war with Iran in defense of Israel, Canada will surely get dragged into it considering our current government's pro Israeli stance.

I sure hope this effort gets laughed at...but I have my doubts...we shall see....

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
IDK if we want/need/should have a Senate resolution....but ultimately the US will have Israeli's back. We will not let the only true Democratic Republic in the middle east be pushed into the ocean. And the Republicans and Democrats will NOT alienate the Jewish voting block in the US (which happens to be a fairly large campaign donor to the Democrats).

I would be shocked if we did, although if we did turn on Israel, I think the current Administration is the one that would do it.

THAT being said. Supporting Israel does not mean putting troops there. Other than some Patriot ADA units in the Gulf Wars, US Troops have never deployed to defend Israel. We didn't put US combat troops in Israel in 56', 67', or 73' (although it WAS briefly considered in 73.) Only the Patriots to help with air defense in 91, 2003, and the present, have we done anything with US troops.

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I'm not even American and this news upsets me so I can only imagine how most Americans will feel about this announcement

When ever YOU are upset about news concerning Israel, I know something good just happened.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I don't understand what you don't like about it. This is standard fare. He's just putting it in writing that we'll assist our ally Israel if they should enter into a war with Iran. Why would we not do this? It's like you have a friend and your friend is being threatened by a bully and you ask your other friend "Hey, if our friend gets into a fight with the bully, lets pledge to help him, so he's not alone. Ok?" Put this way, it looks reasonable. In my view, there's nothing to worry about here.

You should already know we stand 100% behind Israel if the SHTF.

en.wikipedia.org - Israel–United States relations...
edit on 12-10-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

It is my understanding that with Israel being our ally there exists written contracts that legally bind us to supporting them in case of war. I'm not sure of exactly what the specified requirements are or how much support we are bound to supply them with or what kind of support. There may be clauses that allow us to limit our support if Israel is the one instigating the war, but I'm pretty sure we are still bound.

We are also bound to South Korea and other countries in the same fashion. If South Korea were to start a war with North Korea we would be obligated to support them. How much I do not know, as the details are in the paperwork.

All Senator Graham is doing is really making a statement for the record so at some point in the future he can refer back to his support of Israel for his own political gain. It doesn't really matter because whether we agree with what Israel does or not we are obligated to them.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Israhell is getting on everyone's nerves more and more.

The limit will soon be reached.

They will go to far, and won't have someone backing them.

Their days are numbered.

edit on 10/12/1212 by kryton because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Every nation on the planet is interconnected.

Everyone major nation has it hands in smaller ones. All nations have vested interests in other nations. All nations will be either negatively or positively effected by a War with Iran.

Cause and effect.

My point is, there does not need to be any formal backing of Israel for the US to get involved. I assure you the US has enough vested interest in Israel and in the Middle east not to get involved if things were to spark off.

Thinking of the middle east makes me tired.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
1) if US and Israel already have a best friends forever pact, whats the point of another?

2) the article says the decision would be outsourced to israel, Now I don't trust huffpost for getting their facts straight but I trust Israel less, plus its unconstitutional.

3) personally I hope Israel does go to war and a million US soldiers are sent there. It just might finally wake america from their slumber.

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

We will not let the only true Democratic Republic in the middle east be pushed into the ocean.

Do you consider a country based on apartheid that practices genocide to be a democracy? In a democratic society all citizens are supposed to be treated equal, this is not the case in Israel.

The whole "Israel is the only democracy in the ME" phrase is a total face.

Israel isn't being pushed into the ocean, the Palestinians are.

On topic...if you are American it is my opinion that you should want your tax dollars put to better use, and I hope you hold the lives of your military servicemen valuable because they are nothing but cannon fodder if they fight this war for Israel.

Also I am unsure whether or not the United States are officially bound to any treaties with Israel but am certainly willing to be educated on the situation. If someone can confirm or deny this it would be appreciated.

From what I recall, and I may be wrong, the US is only bound to NATO and UN treaties.
edit on 12-10-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by gravitational

I'm not even American and this news upsets me so I can only imagine how most Americans will feel about this announcement

When ever YOU are upset about news concerning Israel, I know something good just happened.

How is more war a good thing?

You are so out of touch with reality that it frightens me.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kryton
Israhell is getting on everyone's nerves more and more.

The limit will soon be reached.

They will go to far, and won't have someone backing them.

Their days are numbered.

edit on 10/12/1212 by kryton because: (no reason given)

I also belive that Israel as it currently exists are numbered but I am unsure of what the outcome will be as there are many possible scenarios that may unfold. My concern is for the innocent Israelis and the innocents from neighboring countries and Iran who will die due to this blind support for Israel by the US.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The US will NOT join Israel in it's war mongering.

There is no money for it. There is no support for it. Even among most of the conversative base, they do not want another war.

Bibi is on his own and he knows it. Furthermore, he's up against China & Russia in this and they aren't going to lay down and let Israel walk all over their interests.

It's just not going to happen.

Graham is perhaps one of the most right wing extremist zealots in politics at the moment and anything he does should be summarily ignored as the hopes and dreams of mad men.

~Tenth

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

My point is, there does not need to be any formal backing of Israel for the US to get involved. I assure you the US has enough vested interest in Israel and in the Middle east not to get involved if things were to spark off.

The fact that Israel receives billions of dollars in aid from the US each year pretty much proves your point, all the vetos in Israel's favor at the UN also proves your point.

I understand the importance of strategic allies, but this is beyond insane.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I agree completely Corruption Ex,
And what's more unAmerican than making
an unconditional pledge about anything?
That's mindless moronic follow the leader.

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

There are many influential people and organizations who are lobbying for war with Iran so I would not be surprised if something similar to what the Senator is aiming for actually happens.

All the points you made were logical, regrettably logic has no place in the current world of geo-politics, everything is so messed up right now

edit on 12-10-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
1) if US and Israel already have a best friends forever pact, whats the point of another?

2) the article says the decision would be outsourced to israel, Now I don't trust huffpost for getting their facts straight but I trust Israel less, plus its unconstitutional.

3) personally I hope Israel does go to war and a million US soldiers are sent there. It just might finally wake america from their slumber.

I understand the point you are trying to make, and agree in theory, but in reality your third point never happens as I wish the American people and the rest of the world would wake up to the dangers of Zionism and it's agenda.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I'm actually not that worried.

IMO had the war drums and propaganda actually worked, the war would have already started. As it stands it's going to be a stalemate because of the powers involved.

Nobody wants to go up against China and Russia. Sure America has air superiority and general military advantage, but let's not forget that china owns a Trillion dollars of US debt.

It's just a bad scene for everybody involved if this moves forward and Bibi is either gonna have to go it alone and get himself anihilated, or hang his head and shame, take his ball and go home.

~Tenth

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Graham is perhaps one of the most right wing extremist zealots in politics at the moment and anything he does should be summarily ignored as the hopes and dreams of mad men.

Correction – He is a neocon…..not a right wing extremist. Remember, this is the buffoon who is for amnesty for the 12 million illegal’s. That certainly isn’t a right wing position, is it?

Please stop giving us “right wingers” a bad name. Graham is a NEOCON like McCain and Bush.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Correction – He is a neocon…..not a right wing extremist. Remember, this is the buffoon who is for amnesty for the 12 million illegal’s. That certainly isn’t a right wing position, is it?

Please stop giving us “right wingers” a bad name. Graham is a NEOCON like McCain and Bush.

My apologies, although IMO the word extremist is the bad part, not really that he's a right wing guy. I know plenty of perfetly sane, reasonable folks on the right.

~Tenth

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Dear OP,

I understand your concerns.

But rather than to be concern about Israel going into a war with Iran, and dragging other nations including yours into it, do try to understand WHY there is need for war in Iran in the first place.

There need not be war, as long as the Iranian leadership comes clean with its nuclear programme, with not just Israel but an ENTIRE world hugely concerned with nuke power today, more so after the Fukishima fallout.

Why did the leadership continued to restrict safety inspections, and had frighteningly not only claimed to not give on unchecked nuke power with ENRICHMENT above the safe use of 20%, and often claiming to 'wipe Israel off the map'.?

Many of nuke powered nations today had behaved responsibly for years for responsible use of nukes, but the Iranian leadership had been frighteningly belligerant. Even with WORLD sanctions in placed, they would rather see their own citizens suffer than to open up their nuke stations for safety checks.

Thus, should Israel and the free world live in fear of the Iranian leadership's belligerances? Would you want to live in fear, when you become clear of what's the real situation over the current war fears? Or should proactive measures be taken to ensure the Iranian leadership behaves responsibly as a nation sharing our world?

The mythical 'zionism' and supposed 'zionist' threat had been with the world for ages. Yet, we had survived for centuries. SO what are these 'zionists' claimed by anti-jews who use it to hide their venom against an innocent jewish people, longing for a genocied upon them?

It seems we have more to fear from anti-jews and their supporters seeking nuke weapons than from some mythical group plucked from the air and blamed on an innocent Israeli nation. No nation is perfect, and there are flaws, but we DO NOT need to 'wipe them off the world's map'. That's insane, but then sanity had never been a known trait of anti jews.

As for Graham, he is just one member of Congress and not the King and call the shots. Any decision made will be by the legislatives. There is no King in USA, unlike Iran.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join