It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will The Election Results Cause Massive Riots To Erupt All Over America?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
This post both refers to the below article and is as much a query. I'm from Australia so don't have any idea of what the socially charged atmosphere is really like in the United States. As such, I want to ask you people from the US, is there any real risk and possibility of widespread rioting erupting all over your country after the result of the elections this coming 6 November 2012?

I've read a little bit here and there previously and dismissed it as just typical conspiracy mongering, as I understand such visionaries were heralding rioting to erupt following past US national elections, which never materialized, at least not on any mass scale to capture the world's attention.

However the article below did get me thinking about something. I wonder if the author does have a point about there being a lot more anger in the US now than in years prior, what with the deteriorating economy and perhaps other emerging social tensions, particularly between poorer and richer classes of people, seemingly.

Perhaps that anger and frustration is on the fringes and not anywhere near pervasive enough in society to bring about mass rioting regardless of the election outcome. That is, it's more a media beat up of the few angry voices out there than a simmering socially pervasive sentiment of anger and agitation that could explode into such widespread riots.

Comments and discussion appreciated.

Will the most divisive campaign in modern American history culminate in massive riots in our major cities? Right now, supporters of Barack Obama and supporters of Mitt Romney are both pinning all of their hopes on a victory on November 6th. The race for the presidency is extremely tight, and obviously the side that loses is going to be extremely disappointed when the election results are finalized. But could this actually lead to violence? Could we actually see rioting in communities all over America? Well, the conditions are certainly ripe for it. A whole host of surveys over the past few years have shown that Americans are very angry and very frustrated right now. In fact, a Pew Research Center poll from late last year found that 86 percent of all Americans are either angry or frustrated with the federal government. We have seen this frustration manifest in protest movements such as the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street, but right now things are fairly calm as liberals and conservatives both look forward to November 6th. Many Republicans started the countdown to the next election literally the day after John McCain lost back in 2008. All of their hopes of getting Obama out of the White House are riding on a Romney victory. For many Democrats, Barack Obama is a "once in a generation" icon. Just the thought of Mitt Romney replacing Obama in the White House is enough to push many of them to the brink of insanity. In recent years we have seen horrible rioting erupt in cities after major sports championship games. How much worse could the rioting potentially be if this bitterly contested election is decided by a very narrow margin - especially if there are allegations that the election is "stolen"?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
If Romney wins, yeah of course there will be a lot of pissed off African american's all over the country. Will they Riot? I'm not really sure since that just tends to support a stereotype about them that they don't really wish to support.

Bit of a conflict of emotions

1. I am mad as hell and I wanna Riot
2. I don't want Black people to be labeled that way

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
There won't be any riots, massive or otherwise. The worst anyone hears is a couple of business persons that really need to work on their business models threatening to fire employees if their personal choice for president doesn't come to fruition. Or, a yahoo here or there threatens to "move to Canada". Pundits for the losing side will be very pissy though. But, I don't think they are capable of rallying masses to riot.

The link you provided leads to a website that would appear to have a vested interest in making a person believe that a riot is a very likely outcome post election. Something to ponder, eh?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

As such, I want to ask you people from the US, is there any real risk and possibility of widespread rioting erupting all over your country after the result of the elections this coming 6 November 2012?

There's always a "risk" of rioting erupting when large groups are angry. I live in a medium-sized city; in my experience, life goes on. People grumble and moan, fret and wag their heads after elections; then they go back to their daily routines.

The people aren't mad at each other; we are mad at the leadership of this place. We're tired, we're fed up, we want our troops to come home, and we are sick to DEATH of the super-elite buying legislation and being bailed out when they get into trouble.

Riots? I doubt it. Remember, a vast percentage of us are armed; and the same vast percentage just want to live our lives with some semblance of dignity, hope for future security (if not prosperity), and worthwhile opportunities.

In my opinion, civil disobedience is more likely than riots. OWS was arguably the most "organized" sort of public outcry that we've had in a long time.

But, some people say I'm not pessimistic enough to judge clearly. I do remember when I was a kid the riots around Viet Nam issues. But I don't think it would be wide-spread all over the country. This place is too big, and most people are cynical. We do think the elections are rigged, and we doubt that much will change in either case. That's just me.

Anyway, you asked. That's my American opinion and expectation. Not much will change. It is highly likely that the losing side will claim "Cheaters!", which will then postpone the results, and meantime, people have to continue going to their wage-earning jobs or trying to stay afloat (if they have no job).

The President-elect doesn't take office until after the beginning of the year, and he still has to get Congress to approve of his wishes, which has been a big part of Obama's limited accomplishments.

It's a mess.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I think you nailed this one, Friend. The end of your post states it all. Less than 24 hours after the 2008 election results the Republicans folded their arms and sat back, acting like petulent children stating thier sole objective for the next four years was to ensure there would be no second term. Totaly childish and unacceptable. Hence the results you stated- limited the accomplishments. Sadly, boobus America continues to elect professional loophole finders whose apparent goals are solely to increase their wealth, regardless of consequence. Phooey.

Look, I'm not saying the Democrats are any if at all better. But what we have is a government of the few for the few. Until we as a nation stand up and say no more, there will always exist the potential for violent reactions. Human nature. "I'm not getting what I want, so I fight and kill for it". Only species on the planet that kills for sport, whether it's killing ourselves or animals.

Star for you, Wildtimes. I like the way you presented you stance.

Peace
edit on 12-10-2012 by PaTommyJ because: spelling (stoopid fingers!!)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by PaTommyJ

Until we as a nation stand up and say no more, there will always exist the potential for violent reactions.

True.
And as a nation of people who lawfully bear arms and know how to use them, the government sees that line drawn in the sand, so they dance very, very close to it, but haven't quite crossed it yet to the degree that mass unrest will erupt.

I agree with you entirely. The partisan bickering is a HUGE part of the problem; but mostly yes, it's the elite few scratching each others' backs with no regard for the vast majority of us.
Thanks for the star! Back atcha!

(Oh, and, my cats kill for sport...from time to time...apparently. One of them has three favorite prey: snakes (which she simply likes to play with), birds (which she brings home alive most of the time, as "gifts" for me, though I have seen her eat them, beak, feet and all), and moles, which she stalks, kills, and leaves lying around as so much unpalatable vermin. Strange.)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Heck, Biden handing Ryan's butt to him on a platter last night in a debate has all the conservatives up in arms already, we may not have to wait for election results!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

I just want to point out that the uneducated rednecks in the bible belt are much more prone to rioting than African Americans are....

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Will The Election Results Cause Massive Riots To Erupt All Over America?,

No.

The new season of American Idol starts in January.

Nobody wants to miss that.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaTommyJ
Only species on the planet that kills for sport, whether it's killing ourselves or animals.

Not true.
I used to have a cat (named Caboose) who loved nothing better than to find a mole and spend the next half hour beating it to death and playing a one-cat game of catch with it. When he was done, he'd just leave it there, quite dead.

If that's not killing for sport, I don't know what is.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I think that if Romney wins, we in the U.S. will see small scale conflict, much like OWS in Oakland. But of course, with today's social media it could escalate. And of course the Media will be all over it as it drives their ratings.

They will also be in the larger cities as well. And I do think it will happen if Romney wins.

But if there are riots, I'm not to worried as I live in a smallish town of well to do people of all stripes and economic means. Riots usually tend to burn down their own neighborhoods.

If some one in my town were to try to start something, they would be trounced upon quickly and effectively.
edit on 12-10-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I say someplaces I wouldn't want to be near would be a Best Buy or any other electronic sales place. New TV's are always wanted for the holidays

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

If Romney wins, yeah of course there will be a lot of pissed off African american's all over the country.

Sure, because they ALL vote for obama right?

Will they Riot? I'm not really sure since that just tends to support a stereotype about them that they don't really wish to support.

So you can push the stereotype that they all vote by race and are ignorant of the political issues but you draw the line at riots?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dnepropetrovsk
reply to post by Nick_X

So you can push the stereotype that they all vote by race and are ignorant of the political issues but you draw the line at riots?

That's a straw man argument if I ever seen one. But you are correct to a degree.

Will people who are educated and well off riot? I don't think so.

Will people who live in poverty stricken areas riot? It is likely, especially if this is a re-run of 2000.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Will The Election Results Cause Massive Riots To Erupt All Over America?,

No.

The new season of American Idol starts in January.

Nobody wants to miss that.

~Tenth

Probably the most accurate post that's been made today!!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

OK, I think I need to make a clarifiaction before the thread gets derailed. Yours is the second post to mention the cat behaviour, and when I thought about it I have to agree. Growing with cats and having a few as an adult I do recall the same behaviour. I stand corrected. Perhaps a rephrase, but it escapes me now.

Back on topic, I'm not exactly sure what to expect. Rodney King reaction or OWS - who knows. But it will be interesting to observe, and good luck to anyone who attempts to do me or my loved ones harm. I can and will protect my basic human rights wth extreme prejudice...

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

To answer the question...

In my opinion 'no' do not expect massive riots the people know the police are all too willing to pepper spray, tazer beat and kill anyone who stands up for themselves.

What you can expect in lieu of riots is a massive wave of work on the side and get paid under the table or in trade. The black market will open up and the country will turn into another Spain or Greece.
America will take longer but it will happen.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

it remains to be seen what people will riot about but i don't think it will be over who wins. More then likely the people will realize that they have been lied to and start to riot then the real crackdown begins. It will be kind of like the back story to the hunger games were the people started to rebel but failed and there leaders took over every aspect of their lives but that's just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
riots ?

no, people will comment on instagram, twitter and whatever

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

"most divisive election ever" they say this every election. In the end, most people don't really care and are simply glad campaigning is over. American politics are quite nasty.

I really doubt African Americans would riot over Obama losing, but I suppose it's possible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join