It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VOTE: Early Voting to Occur Monday in Some States

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 05:53 AM
link   
On Monday, several states, including Florida where only 537 votes decided the result for the 2000 election, will begin early voting. Some states already began the in-person voting process.

story.news.yahoo.com
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Election Day is still two weeks away, but voters across the state have the option Monday of beginning to cast their ballots early in this pivotal battleground state.

Early voting also occurs Monday in Texas, Colorado and Arkansas. Other key states this year have already begun in-person voting, including Wisconsin, Iowa, Nevada, Ohio, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and Michigan.

Early voting was introduced in Florida after the 2000 election, in which this crucial state decided the result by only 537 votes and introduced topics such as butterfly ballots and hanging chads to the national debate.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I didn't even know such an option existed in some states. It would be interesting to see what impact the early voting will actually have on the final outcome of the election. In other words, which candidate will benefit from it most.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: Serious Problems with Electronic Voting Machines in Florida
POLITICS: Florida Voters "Not Guaranteed Perfect Voting" Judge Rules

[edit on 18-10-2004 by trek315]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Wow. What happens if I change my mind on who I want to vote for?

I suppose that they are under obligation to keep these early results under very tight wraps until after the election.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Oh yeah I saw this in my local paper. And since my mind is made up I will need to go vote sometime. Though I'm confused about the electoral college... I want to vote for John Kerry but I live in Texas... Is my vote gonna really count?

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
They're already having problems with sytems crashing during the early voting.

SFGate
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) - With memories of 2000 and the state's bitter fight over ballots still fresh, Floridians began casting votes Monday and within an hour problems cropped up.

In Palm Beach County, the center of the madness during the recount four years ago, a Democratic state legislator said she wasn't given a complete absentee ballot when she asked to opt for paper instead of the electronic touch-screen machines. And in Orange County, the touch-screen system briefly crashed, paralyzing voting in Orlando and its immediate suburbs.

If they're crashing now and causing holdups, isn't it even more likely to happen during Nov 2 when the turnout is probably going to be even higher?

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Early voting started on the 16th (saturday) here in Nevada. I still think im going to wait a few weeks still to vote.. you never know if 'something' might happen before the 2nd. Still its nice to be able to go down to the mall on a saturday and vote.

Not having to wake up extra early to go before work on a tuesday will be nice! I still need to do a little research on the local reps though.. havent lived here in Vegas too long to know who everyone is.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I don't understand the purpose behind early voting. Is it intended to make it more convenient for the voters?

I personally like the way things are now. Getting up early if you want to. Or going after work. If I have to wait in line to vote, I look upon that as a good sign, a sign that more people are exercising their right to vote. That one day a year is exciting and fun. The only possible reason I could support early voting would be if it was proven to somehow eliminate voter fraud.

There was actually a letter-to-the-editor during the primaries here in NH, from a mother who wanted the ballot boxes moved out of the schools. Seems she was concerned that all the voters in the cafeteria would upset her little darling's daily routine. I see it the exact opposite way - it gives us an opportunity to explain why we adults vote.

As far as the touch-screen voting machines crashing in Florida, well, that could be anything. I have worked with computers for over 30 years, and I can tell you that whomever is designing, installing, and running the automated voting machines should be fired. Think about it - we use computers to transfer trillions of dollars every day. We put humans into outer space under their control. Doctors use computers to perform brain surgery. Etc, etc. Design a voting machine? C'mon - child's play. A foolproof, reliable system with a paper trail can be developed by any second year engineering student worth his salt.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I don't understand the purpose behind early voting. Is it intended to make it more convenient for the voters?

States with early voting and late or sameday registration do have an increased voter turn out. The more restrictions on the voting process the less people are going to do it! This is according to my current American Politics book and teacher. I think there is a new(?) federal law that forces states to have registration to vote end no less than 30 days before the election. I think some states have/had 30-60-90 day registration cut offs.

Our teacher asked the question that does a bigger turnout make it a better election? If voter turn out is 65% this year is that better? and whats the minimum turn out we should see before its a huge problem? Its close to 50% now... and decreasing.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Calculon386
Our teacher asked the question that does a bigger turnout make it a better election? If voter turn out is 65% this year is that better? and whats the minimum turn out we should see before its a huge problem? Its close to 50% now... and decreasing.

Good question. Higher turnout means a high level of voter interest in the issues and/or the candidates. Assuming that the higher turnout is equally divided among the opponents and the advocates of the issue(s), this means that more people will be disappointed with the election results, but more people will be satisfied with the results, also. This will hopefully lead to even more involvement in the issues, which can only be a good thing.

Low turnout is a very dangerous thing. It can indicate voter apathy on the issues, which is exactly what the incumbents want. It makes it that much easier for them to get re-elected, and easier for them to pass an agenda which may not be in the best interests of the majority.

I personally think that we go too far in making things convenient and easy for people; for example, early voting. The rights and privileges that we value the most in our country were not handed to us. They were earned through hard work and sometimes conflict. We should remember the sacrifices of our predecessors and not take what we have for granted. I know this will sound a bit extreme, but I think we should tie some privileges to responsibilities. For example, if you want the privilege to drive a car, you must fulfill your responsibility to vote.

Sorry for the soapbox.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   

I want to vote for John Kerry but I live in Texas... Is my vote gonna really count?

Only if Amendment 36 passes.

Surf

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
you know they havent even started and already I am setting here right now listening to the news saying someone is already saying its not fair and has alot of malfuntions already ......funny huh how can you know there are problems if nothing has been voted on in these machines

new topics

top topics

join