It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flags should be rewarded based on quality/quantity of content, not just popularity of opinion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Because I'm tired of putting actual thought and research into threads that largely get overlooked while one-liner vague threads explode in popularity. I will flag someone if they put effort into their topic and appear well-informed, even if I don't particularly agree with them. I refuse to reward someone for laziness, even if what they have to say conforms to the popular opinion on ATS.

Maybe that's just me.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
People care way too much about stars and flags. I bet you get mad if people don't like your facebook status too.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Management can take all my stars and flags, and it won't matter to me. Why anyone would put credence and meaning into an arbitrary "ranking" system on a website is confusing to me. But, to each their own. I rarely base anything I do on the number of stars/flags on this site. But, people who like a thread will flag it. People who like a particular post, give it a star. So, I guess, in a way, it's already based off of what members deem to be quality. I don't know how we'd gauge quantity, other than number of works, photos, Youtube links.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by goochball

Stars and likes, no, I really couldn't care less. But flags determine how long the thread will stay alive, how many people will see it. If we truly want to deny ignorance we should make the effort to keep the most informative threads alive. This will encourage an investment of time and research. You don't deserve stars, flags, or likes for conforming to what everyone else thinks to win a popularity contest. You deserve a punch in the face.
edit on 10/11/2012 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight21
Because I'm tired of putting actual thought and research into threads that largely get overlooked while one-liner vague threads explode in popularity. I will flag someone if they put effort into their topic and appear well-informed, even if I don't particularly agree with them. I refuse to reward someone for laziness, even if what they have to say conforms to the popular opinion on ATS.

Maybe that's just me.

I believe many of us have experienced the same thing here.

I've spent hours on a thread only to have it disappear into oblivion and sometimes posted a thread of just something amusing or funny and it's been flagged many times.

I believe it depends on the time of day, what people are feeling and how tired some are of the current hot issue being posted 100 times in the same day but in different form.

Just my thoughts.

Peace

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Flags should be awarded for both. People can make great points without having to source it. Some Forums are based around the opinion of people so how would you deal with those ones?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Flags are not a reward!!!
Their purpose is to rank a topic that members feel is important.

I see stars as a way to show agreement with a post.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
my flag is at half mast,and the only stars i see are out side,and in my head,which i will see shrtly after beer # 6

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

edit on 10/11/2012 by goochball because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Maybe you are putting too much info in your threads. You have to remember that the general public is being dumbed down so their attention span isn't that great.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Chill out sporty spice. You took my quote out of context. I wasn't referring to you specifically, but the people that reward conformity and people that buy into that need to conform. This is, after all, an alternative website.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight21

Chill out sporty spice. You took my quote out of context. I wasn't referring to you specifically, but the people that reward conformity and people that buy into that need to conform. This is, after all, an alternative website.

lol. I'm sorry bud. I went back and read it again after posting and I understood what you meant. Tried to coverup my comment before you saw it because I was out of line.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Maybe you are putting too much info in your threads. You have to remember that the general public is being dumbed down so their attention span isn't that great.

Too much fluoride in their drinking water?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

It's all good. No apologies necessary.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I have a little contest going with one person on here and its generally just for fun. We like to jab at each-other about our star/flag/post ratio's and I always rub my 1 Applause in his face. Generally, I will flag posts because I agree and also when I think it deserves more attention (quality threads). It goes both ways. But honestly, I don't bother following the new/hot topics as much as I like to dive into new replies and my favorite forums to see what is actually out there. So flags don't mean much to me.

join