It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about the aging process

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Hi all, Im just a little curious. Ive always looked alot younger than I am compared to everyone else my age(A child-man)
. At 16, I looked 12, at 18, I looked 15, at 21, I still only looked 16-17, and now Im 28 and I look about 20. And its not just me but my brother and sister also. And at the other end of the scale there are guys at the age of 17 looking 23-24(A Man-Child)
So I'm curious as to why this is so.
Why do our biological clocks tick at such a different pace to one another?
I'm aware it is a genetic thing, but it still leaves the question "why?"
Any Child-men or Man-children here ever wondered the same thing?

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Well - I get told I look younger than my age and then I turn around get told I look older - Then someone tells me I look like Steven Seagal and karate chop their frickin' ass

Honestly though...I think there are quite a few people out there that experience this "problem" - I've met my fair share of people who I thought were high-schoolers who had just graduated college...it's especially a rewarding feeling when they're of the female persuasion - lol

I'd have to agree that it is genetic, but not aware of what proof there is out there...I know there is a specific disease that causes rapid aging but the name escapes me....interesting topic...

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply Enron.
I Googled "aging disease" and got Progeria Syndrome as the name of the disease.
After reading about that it makes me feel a little more at ease with my baby faced looks. I would cringe when being asked for my ID at bottle shops or bars or nightclubs or where ever alcahol and nudity is found
But now wont be so grinded over the whole thing

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   
It also has to do with lifestyle. I'm almost 24 and STILL get asked for ID (the legal age here is 18..). But I have noticed, during summer when I am always outside, i get asked for ID alot more often then during winter.

I'm a computer technician and I've also noticed when I spend long hours inside, then go out in public, people tend to think I'm at least 4years younger than I actually am..once again, I spend some time outside, get a nice health(ish) glow, and people start guessing my age correctly again.

But then again I seem to have one of those weird appearances where I've been called tall, short, solid built, skinny, tanned, pasty, geeky, funky...people just can't seem to work out what I am

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I look much younger than my age! I'll be 50 tomorrow, most people think I m in my early 30s...it has nothing to do with the aging process per say...it's in the genes. My mother always looked younger too. I also cleaned myself up at early age. by the time I was 21, I had kicked a serious drug addiction and from that time forward I've stayed clean. I don't drink, smoke, nor do any drugs.....I think it has to with genes and hereditary factors in play. It may be a pin in the butt for you now....but you'll be glad when you get older.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I think its great to have slow aging genes. Hehe. When I was twelve, I remember my friends thought my mom was my older sister. I think this thing runs in the female part of the family.

But besides having good genes, none of us take drugs, drinks (except occasional wine), or spend much time in the sun. We also love our veggies. I'm particularly veggie obssessed.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I can pass for 10-15 years younger than my real age, and so could my parents. It's genetic... and good health care, though it ALSO may be that WE represent the way people are supposed to look and feel at these ages.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Not trying to act as if I were a moderator but I think this thread belongs in Chit Chat. Unless I am missing the secret/conspiracy aspect of it???

Secondly most of the people that I have met who supposedly looked 10 or so years younger than their age didn't. Having a wrinkle free skin is not the same as looking younger , their are numerous other aspects to aging including posture and a definite face set, tooth wear etc. In terms of younger people looking younger than their age its usually to do with (a) their height short young people are frequently mistaken for kids and (b) having a fuller face as your face tends to slim out as you age; and (c) if you act age inappropriately people sometimes assume you are younger than you appear to be; and (d) you are supposed to be carded up to 28 I believe.

[edit on 19-10-2004 by Mynaeris]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
You can easily narrow the gap between your age and your looks by drinking large quantities of alcohol, avoiding vegetables and scrimping on your sleep.

Wearing last decades fashion and hairstyles helps too.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
Not trying to act as if I were a moderator but I think this thread belongs in Chit Chat. Unless I am missing the secret/conspiracy aspect of it???

Secondly most of the people that I have met who supposedly looked 10 or so years younger than their age didn't.

[edit on 19-10-2004 by Mynaeris]

Most of us have pics over at BTS
I manage to still front a rock band of younger members....funny though...I think a lot of people my age, now days are looking younger...and I am not Just talking about nice skin...I think we have better products for cleansing, know more about taking care of ourselves.

[edit on 10/20/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Well here's one for all of you... My physical appearence has altered very little since the age of 13-14 yrs .. (I'm 28 now). But, i don't mean that i look young..

I've always appeared much older than my actual age when younger, and haven't been carded for anything since tha age of 12. My freinds in school loved it. I could buy cigarettes, alcohol, get into clubs, pretty much whatever i felt like ...it's only in the past 3-4 yrs that i've come into looking my proper age....

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I can remember years ago when I was 16 or 17, being able to buy beer and get into local clubs without being carded. Now I'm 39 years old and 90 percent of the people I know can't believe I'm even over 30!!1
Hopefully I'm starting my backwards trend... lmao ...

new topics

top topics

join