It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jurassic Park Won't Happen: Dino DNA Dead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Did you dream of wandering among dinosaurs, listen as a guide explain that this T-Rex is very dangerous, watch how the T-Rex is swallowing a goat whole during feeding time

Well it looks like that aint gonna happen, no "safe" Jurassic park in the near future as new info suggest that Dino DNA is dead.

In "Jurassic Park," scientists extract 80-million-year-old dino DNA from the bellies of mosquitoes trapped in amber. Researchers may never be able to extract genetic material that old and bring a T. rex back to life, but a new study suggests DNA can survive in fossils longer than previously believed.

"But sadly"

Based on the newly discovered decay rates for DNA, dinosaurs have been extinct too long to revive as clones.

Click for full story

Unless

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Pretty sure this has been posted but...you are incorrect in stating "Jurassic Park Won't Happen" it just will not happen with Cloning...

Genetic Modification could be the time machine we need by re-writing the code we could re-engineer Dinosaurs, but then they would just be monsters but still...
edit on 11-10-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

There's always reverse engineering, once we get the hang of such science fiction type ideas.
We could then do away with all those bothersome mutations that made a whatever a chicken evolved from into a chicken, to reversify (not a word, I know) the chicken into retro-dinosaur-ish-whateverness.

Eh. That's all I got.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
“God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man brings back dinosaurs.” ― Michael Crichton

Maybe it won't come full circle?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Maybe scientist will be able to grow a velociraptor on the back of a mouse someday. Until then we can keep watching Jurassic Park. After all it's a pretty sweet film.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
“God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man brings back dinosaurs.” ― Michael Crichton

Maybe it won't come full circle?

I'm still waiting for them to find the part where man/ape evolved trousers, haircuts, and a fear of whatever local current national government is in power (regardless where/when any subject X is in space-time).

If we could just find the fossilized remains of an early man wearing pants, sitting in a barber chair, burning a flag, maybe even in the act of demonstrating, so many ponderables would be answered.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
the dinosaurs are not dead !
evolution happened and they became advanced humanoids
you wont even know you speak to one (shapeshifters)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
IF dinosaurs could even survive in today's atmoshphere.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
if we hit a technological breakthrough with supercomputers and 3D printing, grab a little DNA from a frog and bird, skeleton of a t rex from a museum, voila?

lol

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
What if dinosaurs were a product of genetic engineering to begin with...all you ancient advanced something proponents out there will know where I am going with this.

It is written that the battle of Mardok and Tiamat was brutal. That Mardok, faced all the terrible creations of Tiamat that made the gods tremble in fear.

I am under the impression that the tales of Mardok, came from Babylonia, and not so much Sumaria. Still they have been jumbled together and mixed up after too many years of neglect. It is difficult to say if the stories of Mardok, making the moon and such, were tales of planetary bodies or attributes given to Mardok after by the Babylonians.

In any event, the creatures Tiamat is described as creating to oppose the Gods, that she made for kingu´s(Qingu´s) army kind of sound like dinosaurs.

Imagine if Mardok, an ancient, (possibly an ancient intelligent human dinosaur hybrid) faced a struggle for power in which his opponent used advanced science to build an army of genetically modified creatures, and dinosaurs were the beasts of burden for them. Like elephants were used in war.

I always thought that dinosaurs/ dragons/ and other mythological creatures were products of genetic engineering.

I always thought of the war of the Gods and the Titans, was a war of genetic engineering. Look at the way the birth of Mardok is described in my later external post.

They were seen as a great evil since they were associated with the first evil the Gods/ ancients of antiquity faced. That is before they took on the titles of great Satan, or demons, or angels / gods in response to the perception by humans /us of their actions.

It would explain all the heeby jeebies the bible has about altering Gods creation, and consequently our own perception of genetic manipulation evil.

Maybe the planet earth/ Tiamat of old, had a ruler with the same name that caused her worlds destruction, for which our gods /advanced ancients had record of, and some science of, and so we associate the war against Tiamat as the collision of a moon with Earth/ Tiamat, as only a celestial event. When in actuality it was a consequence of a great war fought with unimaginable weapons, and soldiers / beasts of war.

Maybe the extinction event for dinosaurs was the product of an advanced planet killer weapon, that destroyed another planet, making the asteroid belt, our moon, and a lesser version was used on earth, or a fragment of that explosion struck earth purposely so as to eradicate dinosaurs. The artificial ancient dogs of war.

interesting fact... Qingu /kingu means unskilled laborer...maybe it once meant mindless beast of burden.....

too much imagination? maybe...it would make a great book and movie though. LOL.

In Babylonian mythology, Tiamat is a chaos monster, a primordial goddess of the ocean, mating with Abzû (the god of fresh water) to produce younger gods. It is suggested that there are two parts to the Tiamat mythos, the first in which Tiamat is 'creatrix', through a "Sacred marriage" between salt and fresh water, peacefully creating the cosmos through successive generations. In the second "Chaoskampf" Tiamat is considered the monstrous embodiment of primordial chaos.

Although there are no early precedents for it, some sources identify her with images of a sea serpent or dragon. In the Enûma Elish, the Babylonian epic of creation, she gives birth to the first generation of deities; she later makes war upon them and is killed by the storm-god Marduk. The heavens and the earth are formed from her divided body.

Tiamat was known as Thalattē (as a variant of thalassa, the Greek word for "sea") in the Hellenistic Babylonian Berossus' first volume of universal history. It is thought that the name of Tiamat was dropped in secondary translations of the original religious texts because some Akkadian copyists of Enûma Elish substituted the ordinary word for "sea" for Tiamat, since the two names had become essentially the same, due to association.
en.wikipedia.org...

The Enuma Elish is a Babylonian or Mesopotamian myth of creation recounting the struggle between cosmic order and chaos. It is basically a myth of the cycle of seasons. It is named after its opening words and was recited on the fourth day of the ancient Babylonian New Year's festival.

The basic story exists in various forms in the area. This version is written in Akkadian, an old Babylonian dialect, and features Marduk, the patron deity of the city of Babylon. A similar earlier version in ancient Sumerian has Anu, Enil and Ninurta as the heroes, suggesting that this version was adapted to justify the religious practices in the cult of Marduk in Babylon.

[The Birth of Marduk]
In the chamber of fates, the abode of destinies,
A god was engendered, most able and wisest of gods. (80)

In the heart of Apsu was Marduk created,
In the heart of holy Apsu was Marduk created.
He who begot him was Ea, his father;
She who bore him was Damkina, his mother.
The breast of goddesses he did suck.
The nurse that nursed him filled him with awesomeness.
Alluring was his figure, sparkling the lift of his eyes.
Lordly was his gait, commanding from of old.
When Ea saw him, the father who begot him,
He exulted and glowed, his heart filled with gladness. (90)

He rendered him perfect and endowed him with a double godhead.
Greatly exalted was he above them, exceeding throughout.
Perfect were his members beyond comprehension,
Unsuited for understanding, difficult to perceive.
Four were his eyes, four were his ears;
When he moved his lips, fire blazed forth.
Large were all four hearing organs,
And the eyes, in like number, scanned all things.
He was the loftiest of the gods, surpassing was his stature;
His members were enormous, he was exceeding tall.

They form a council to prepare for the fight.
Mother Hubur, she who fashions all things,
Added matchless weapons, bore monster-serpents,
Sharp of tooth, unsparing of fang.

With venom for blood she has filled their bodies.
Roaring dragons she has clothed with terror,
Has crowned them with haloes, making them like gods,

Whoever beheld them, terror overcame him,
And that, with their bodies reared up, none might turn them back.
She set up the Viper, the Dragon, and the monster Lahamu, (140)

www.cresourcei.org...

edit on 11-10-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Just wanted to add to the thread, but there is a slight possibility to make dinosaurs like velociraptor, however, just not from old dino dna. There is a guy called Jack Horner who has done some genetic engineering on chickens. It is actually a simple concept, but as of now the mutations sadly are lethal and no living embryo is made. Though it is very intriguing work as with turning on certain "switches" of the dna during development of the embryo, he was able to create chickens with teeth and a tail. There were a few other minor changes, but the tail and teeth are obviously from an evolutionary past. He is just making the dormant genes active, and boom you have yourself a chicken taking on elements of its dinosaur past.

Like I said, no living embryos come out of this so far, but it does open the possibility of something in the future. However, Jack Horner has said himself that he has no intentions for that and the main purpose of the experiment is to find out more details on how evolution works. Who knows, someone else may just take it to the next level and we will be hatching velociraptors one day.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I thought it had been known for years that DNA was too fragile to survive that long.

While they cannot find DNA though it is possible that they have found soft tissue that contains proteins. These proteins can link dinosaurs to more recent animals.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

www.smithsonianmag.com...

discovermagazine.com...

This was an amazing discovery. At the same time it is possible it was contaminated and is biological in another way. If true though the links could be put together and we could possibly see a dinosaur with genetic tinkering.

While it would be cool to see a live dinosaur, another part of me draws back in horror at the thought of the genetic tampering involved.

Raist

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by Mianeye

There's always reverse engineering, once we get the hang of such science fiction type ideas.
We could then do away with all those bothersome mutations that made a whatever a chicken evolved from into a chicken, to reversify (not a word, I know) the chicken into retro-dinosaur-ish-whateverness.

Eh. That's all I got.

That was my thought exactly.
Even if the DNA is dead, we should be able to reverse engineer some birds eventually at some point in the future, and get dinosaurs.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Dead until they can create DNA from scratch.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by Mianeye

Eh. That's all I got.

That was my thought exactly.
Even if the DNA is dead, we should be able to reverse engineer some birds eventually at some point in the future, and get dinosaurs.

I may be wrong here but rather than reverse engineering, is it not back breeding instead? I am sure this is currently underway with cattle in an attempt to get back to Aurochs - definitely a burger i would be up for trying!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Not sure exactly how that would work.
Someone else might though

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Yes totally sucks! I did a thread on it here:

Scientist Stomp Dinosaur DNA

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
when im dream world quality some da y ,ill warp one with magic . or ill revive the whale at science north .in...oh wait.i cant tell you that ,but it will happen
edit on 13-10-2012 by BirDMan_X because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
Pretty sure this has been posted but...you are incorrect in stating "Jurassic Park Won't Happen" it just will not happen with Cloning...

I don't think you know the meaning of the word cloning.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch

Originally posted by abeverage

I don't think you know the meaning of the word cloning.

Um Cellular or Digital? LOL I understand cloning just fine. There are other ways to "create" a species other than a clone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join