It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE POWER GOES OUT - What should you do?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The assumption is you have not prepared and you are Urban. Fill every empty container and tub you have with water. Collect every lighter, match, candle you have.Inventory your food and medical supply.Pull together every bandaide and tylonol.If you are urban you have fewer options. Gather any possible weapons.

You have some time, secure your base. If this thing lasts cultivate information. You may need to position yourself to take advantage of resources .If you act with the masses you will likely lose.Do not follow the marked path. Begin to think of a food supply.If it all falls, leave the flat screen to someone else. If you are a survivor, natural instinct will guide you. If it all falls apart you need to be in an out quickly and secure as many calories as possible.Prepare for warmth or protection from heat. You have the knowledge inside, use it.

Leave Best Buy and Target to the morons.If you are not well armed think like a rat, move fast stock the base and secure your location. In time, if the issue last people will leave. As they leave, collect and stock. If it is cold collect wood. Stop and think, always think. But as Josey Wales once said "if your back is against the wall get mean, dog mean"..Be prepared to act, to simply react lessens your odds. Shelter, water, food, warmth and security. DoAvoid battles, collect and stock.Panic kills. Again avoid conflict at all costs. Much of survival is being invisable. And last but certinly not least decide if what life you have left is best being a good guy or a bad guy and live that life. If you choose" bad guy" and move outside of the city be aware people like me are far more prepared and will be ready for you.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Check the car/battery devices to determine if it's just a blackout.

If more than a blackout... Start packing, leave the city that night via pushbike, head to predetermined "oh#" spot.

If it's a "normal" blackout I would wait 3 days before moving, should be long enough to finish off all the stuff in the fridge/freezer that would spoil, and i would not be too panicked as the car would still be working.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I have solar lights, and a power inveter for the car battery so I'm good for several days since I use Xmas LED lights for regular night lights already, power consumtions is low and every couple hours car could be started.
I have a clean gas grill that I could bring inside for heat if winter time. or sleep in car with the portable heater for the car

Good thread / topic
IMO
Running out to the store when power goes out aint a good idea unless someone is still at home." robbers "
should always have 3-4 days worth of food, dry goods are best, and a way to heat it up.

I say use those plastic water bottles again, fill them up and store them in a closet or a cool dry place.
water don't go bad if you change it out every few months

I also keep my feeezer filled with water 1/2 gallons of old plastic milk containers. when not filled with food.
It's a good way to keep the freezer cold with no power but it also helps keep the freezer cold and when power is regular.

also have candles and macthes, warms food with a little foil, and flashlights for everyone in th home so your not without your own.
Have a battery radio or crank one,
and don't forget about the family pet needs food and water so have days extra for them as well.

If power is out for more then a day talk to neighbors and see if they know anything.
Don't sit still after the second day , be pro-active. Don't sit and wait for help, get yourself ready to leave.

DON"T WAIT FOR IT TO HAPPEN BE PREPARED .

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
Lets cover something very basic shall we...

THE POWER GOES OUT - What steps should you take right away?

For example lets say the whole city appeared blacked out in your area. So you maybe initially thought it was a regular black out. But how would you really know for sure. What steps should you immediately take say if you're at home?

Ok so... Power goes out.. I will go out on a hike if its not bad weather, or work in the garden.

To further answer your question, if people are running to the hills because its more than a blackout I will pack my car and move to another place. If I find out beforehand the road has a landslide I will pack some backpacks with the most basic necessities and hike to a remote village where its self sustainable.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Light Candles, collect water and check on elderly neighbours.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
Lets cover something very basic shall we...

THE POWER GOES OUT - What steps should you take right away?

For example lets say the whole city appeared blacked out in your area. So you maybe initially thought it was a regular black out. But how would you really know for sure. What steps should you immediately take say if you're at home?

First thing is always situational awareness.

The emergency radio is turned on first chance.
Everything else is dependent on this information.
This information will help with the decision to the next pertinent question, bug in or bug out.
Depends on the time of day or season after that.

edit on 27-10-2012 by The Utopian Penguin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Head to what stores...? The powers out remember. You can't fill a bath tub without electricity. You can drain water off of a low spot in your basement but if you don't close of the MAIN coming into your home the whole system will drain back. Thats how they are designed. If you haven't already thought out and prepared for an event your in trouble before you even get going. A solar flare or emp big enough to shut down the grid will take out all Vehicles. Older vehicles that DON"T have electronic ignitions can still run. Better have an extra battery and alternator for it, starter and distributor replacement parts put away for it. Everybody will try and take it from you so I wouldn't be driving around showing off that it still works without somebody riding shot gun so to speak. If you live in the inner cities get out quick. Don't wait or you'll never get out. The ones that wait to see what will happen will be trapped. Authorities will start to close roads and seal things off to stop the mass exodus of people. Don't use your cell phones GPS as they can track where everybody's going and watch routes people are taking. You better have a plan in place right now of where your going on how to get there before hand thats off the beaten track everyone else will take. GET A BIKE. GET A BIKE. They are quiet and you can hide with your transportation and cover more ground faster with one. Get prepared people. Don't wait.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join