It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court to Rule on Patents for Self-Replicating Products (aka Monsanto)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Supreme Court to Rule on Patents for Self-Replicating Products

www.wired.com...

Imagine a licensing agreement for buying seeds that allows them to be used only once a season. They cannot be resold for planting, and cannot be used for research, crop breeding or seed production.

Those indeed are the terms of seed giant Monsanto’s licensing agreement for its “Roundup Ready” soybeans, regardless of how unnatural the conditions may seem when it comes to farming. This is farming in the age of patented, genetically modified organisms, which in this case concerns soybean crops that withstand herbicide.

The Supreme Court is weighing in on the soybean patents, agreeing to hear an appeal by a Knox County, Indiana soybean farmer who was ordered to pay $84,456 in damages and costs to Monsanto in 2009 for infringing those patents.

Did you read the article?

Read the article.

Monsanto, come on, really? I can't believe what I'm reading. These contracts farmers agree to abide by are redunkulous. I understand that Monsanto is actually creating they own version of mothers natures original hard copies but these contracts and agreements are crazy. And let me just say I am in no way a fan of GMO food and I think I should know what foods and products are GMO and or contain GMO. Why the big secret?

Monsanto and these agreements do fascinate me. It almost sounds like Monsanto is keeping tabs on farmers who buy from them and will take action immediately if and when a contract is broken. I can't believe I'm reading that a farmer paid $84,456 to a company that sells seeds. I wonder if Monsanto actually counts on winning lawsuits as a part of their gross? Anyone have any idea how many farmers have been sued?

Why are these farmers buying from Monsanto in the first place? Why would any farmer take the risk of being sued by a seed company? Monsanto seeds aren't cheap either so it's not like they get a good bargain for them. The only answer I can come up with is these seeds promise to produce plants who are less susceptible to disease and insects while also promising high crop yields.

So I'm all for wanting to know what has GMO in it and not being a fan of Monsanto and their practices but these farmers who continue to do business with them are also to blame. Does anyone know where Monsanto stands currently with sales and farmers in general? I am aware of reading about 200,000 farmers trying to sue Monsanto so there is that

History Of Monsanto

edit on 10-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Next stop patenting the genetic composition of life, woo woo all aboard the crazy train.

I am beyond disgusted with Monsanto. I don't think I can say more then that without breaking into a profanity laced condemnation of that company

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Ugh, i want to vomit. Did you see that horrific crime that farmer did to get sued? Yeah, that's right, the poor 74-year old man, who probably has been farming his entire life, bought contaminated seed. He didn't even intentionally buy Monsanto's evil seeds.

Monsanto needs more than a doomed business model. The company and its franken crops need to be burned to the ground.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Monsanto is the real life version of the Umbrella Corp. At least it's Ag division.

I'd so love to say they are evil and this is some grand plot to get us...when I believe the truth is actually worse. Plots could be foiled with busting or getting just a few people. It makes really bad bad situations a little more hopeful, perhaps. In this case though, I think what's worse is pure, base and totally unrestrained greed. They're going to kill us for profit and their too arrogant and self-delusional in their own greatness to even accept it's possible.

They seek to overwhelm the worlds seed stocks and supplies (because open fields do still pollinate apparently and these demon crops creep elsewhere) purely for the near unthinkable PROFIT involved with literally cornering the market on global food production in agriculture.

...and are just smug and sure that their little demons can't fall victim to a plague or blight...or God help humanity, a few that hit across different crop types at once. When the seed lines are only a few.....a few blights/plagues zaps a large % of Global production in a way previously unimaginable. ...and I'm sure Monsanto would believe their OWN words when they insist that absolutely can't happen.

and the Titanic couldn't sink, either.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Farmer Bowman began purchasing Monsanto’s patented seeds in 1999 and, because of the licensing agreement, did not save any of the seed for future planting. But he also bought so-called “commodity” seed from a local grain elevator, which acts as a clearinghouse for farmers to buy and sell seed.

But given that more than 90 percent of the soybeans planted in the area were Roundup Ready crops, the elevator’s seed was contaminated with Monsanto’s patented seed.

I hear ya but these farmers are also Monsanto customers and have been for a long time so they are also part of the problem. I agree its silly this farmer has to pay because he "broke" contract but seriously how can it be avoided when all the farmers use Monsanto products? And how the hell did Monsanto know? Seriously, are these farms being looked in on by Monsanto? And how are they doing it?

They're creepy, and I also agree their business model is garbage and needs to be scrapped asap.
edit on 10-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Monsanto and its frankenseeds need to die
nuff said

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
rule right
for right to rule
the food we grow~

∞LOVE

mayallsoulsbefree∞

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
plant patents predate GMO plants, this is not new or different,
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
People will often surrender their logic for their religion.
edit on 11-10-2012 by Dnepropetrovsk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dnepropetrovsk
plant patents predate GMO plants, this is not new or different,
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
People will often surrender their logic for their religion.
edit on 11-10-2012 by Dnepropetrovsk because: (no reason given)

are you claiming people who are anti-gmo are part of a cult?

lol you may as well go to some other forum, as you won't be making many friends here using offensive statements/tactics that are a hairsbreadth from violating T&C, as while you are not directly attacking the OP or others personally, instead you label a whole group, thus evading any penalties or mod actions.
what's next? cute names like chemmie, rontard, etc?

you shouldn't say such things, people might think you had a vested/economic interest in shoveling poison down peoples throats, or causing natural grains and veggies to become extinct just like monsteranto and it's shareholders does

on topic:

it's important to see how these judges vote and keep our lists of members of the cult of ANTI-LIFE updated.
kill it with fire

edit on 14-10-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment

edit on 14-10-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment

new topics

top topics

join