It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am i real enough to call this reality?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
It all started when i woke up from a very lucid dream.

I was so far into the dream that i believed i could force palm people into the air, i could move countries and all the other crazy stuff.

When i woke up, only then i realized it was "just a dream"

How, or better yet, who am i to call this, physical realm, reality? If my brains are so easily manipulated to call something real(i.e. A dream) how am i to judge this physical realm? Sure, you have all the 5 senses and you have an actual body here, but how is it any different than the "dream reality"?

If you look at the internet as a whole, it does not contain one single bit of human body, it consists solemly of bits and bytes, 0s and 1s. This we could call another "reality" a reality where collective minds get together.

These thoughts have been bugging me alot. Whats the true definition of reality? Is consiousness involved to make something real?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Muatti

If something is occurring and you experience pain from it. then its real. If something happens and it induces a emotional reaction then its real.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

How does this differ from a dream? Often i dream that stuff doesnt work and i get angry about it, or i find something incredibly funny. Ive even felt pain in my dreams, does this define dreams as real, too?
edit on 10-10-2012 by Muatti because: grammar

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Muatti

The only difference i can distinguish is that the dream is transitory and the waken state has much more permanence to it..

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Muatti

imo, dreams are not reality. imagine it like a holo-deck. if you try to speak to people in your dreams to get answers, you will realise, that is is something different than real life persons.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Muatti

That's the problem..

The brain fill in blanks, with stuff it experienced before.
It doesn't need to be correct. Just similar.
And it doesn't need to be real data.
Most of what it does, is visual extrapolation.

Another thing..
..is if you loose a leg.
You still can have pain in your toes..
..because the nerve ends from the toes are still there, in your hip.

We can never be absolute certain, that what our brain is telling us, is the absolute reality.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Physical reality is a symbiotic partnership between the event and the permanent emergence of an informational fact cluster that represents that the event occurred. Everything else is a progressive ramification trajectory of these two partners working off each other.

It's just that easy.

As to whether you're real.....I'm posting this as a ramification of having read the post that you started this thread with. That means that yes, you do exist. We both exist within the same reality confine, and we are freely capable of contextual influence and association with one another. This places us in a relative state of being, and connects us with everything else that shares this reality confine with us. There are likely many such reality confines, but it's not as if any two reality confines can ever perceive each other. They are based on synchronization of Unit Rate of Change, and all it takes is two unit changes (with associating fact clusters emerging at that same rate in direct response) to put any pair of reality confines forever out of sync.

This is the basis of physical existence. What the human mind perceives is just an interpretation of what has progressively developed over an immeasurable span of time involving countless such event units acting and reacting as event chain trajectories with unfathomable masses of residual information that will never cease to exist once it has been brought into existence to represent each instant of "now" that has ever existed within this reality confine. The implications are staggering, but the logic is impeccable concerning this basic premise.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Muatti

there is no way of really proving it to be real or not real, but to investigate the nature of this life/dream could lead to a more beneficial knowing.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Can you move countries and force palm people in reality? I would hope not. The laws of physics don't apply in dreams. You already know that you are real a priori by existing and being able to dream in the first place.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Dreams are but a facet of oneself. Truly we are inter-dimensional beings.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by Muatti

The only difference i can distinguish is that the dream is transitory and the waken state has much more permanence to it..

How is yesterday or five minutes ago any different from remembering a dream? Neither can be experienced now, only remembered. How much of yesterday can you remember? How is what is happening in waking state permanent?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Its real. Let me use a phone call as an example

1)You speak into a mouthpiece(Whether coherent or gibberish)
2) That information gets 'mux'd (digitized) and sent to another terminal
3) There it gets demux'd back into analog where you ears perceive it

While the message might be digital until it is received, its still a message

get it?

JHGBVYUOONUIGG%$#JNHGFD()*&??

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If you stop eating in this reality, you will die.
If you stop eating in the dream reality, you won't.

Looking any further than that is just philosophical masturbation.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

But you have not 'died' so you cannot know whether you will die or not. Death is a story told in aliveness. Deep sleep is a story told in wakefulness.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Stop youself.
If you stop eating, you will die. Period.
Feel free to experiment for yourself.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

Eternal life.
The dreaming will not stop.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Philosophical masturbation.
It won't stop.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Find the real amongst the unreal.
The real is that which is constant.
The unreal is the transitory.

Who knows the dream?
youtu.be...
edit on 10-10-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
If you stop eating in this reality, you will die.
If you stop eating in the dream reality, you won't.

Looking any further than that is just philosophical masturbation.

Although this answer is straight forward, how do you explain my deaths in dreams?

I have died several times in my dreams and every single time i would simply start over again.
I would sometimes wake up, but sometimes keep on dreaming, knowing i died, but still went on.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Muatti

Dreams aren't reality.
Proof: you're still alive to post.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join