It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama asked to remove Big Bird from campaign ad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Barack Obama asked to remove Big Bird from campaign ad

SESAME Street's production company has asked US President Barack Obama to remove Big Bird from his campaign ad attacking rival Mitt Romney for promising to get tough on the lovable TV character. Sesame Workshop, which makes the popular children’s show broadcast on public TV in the US, said it had not authorized use of the bird’s image and its characters are not political.

This was interesting and I noticed it wasn't posted yet. I think it is great that PBS takes a stand to do the right thing. They set a good example.
Not quite a crisis but the President is having a pretty lousy week.

edit on 9-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
the fact Big Bird is central to this presidential campaign worries me when said country has a nuclear arsenal

but in a way it also relieves me that it has heart enough to be able to do such a thing in the first place...

is maintaining "the historical record" more important then children's education?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
the fact Big Bird is central to this presidential campaign worries me when said country has a nuclear arsenal

but in a way it also relieves me that it has heart enough to be able to do such a thing in the first place...

is maintaining "the historical record" more important then children's education?

I don't think it's central. It's just a campaign ad. Govt contribution to PBS is something like .00007%

It is a joke issue and Big Bird was part of Romneys campaign not the Presidents, although he tried to change this. Personally I am glad he was stopped because it is undignified. Still that's not a liar.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
jeeze... Do these people even BOTHER with the concept of trademarks and copyrights???

I mean one of THE KEY images of the entire 2008 campaign turned out to be a straight theft and rip-off of a copyrighted, published photo. The idiot was still dealing with legal issues from it, last I checked...tho apparently no one else cared to even ask if the rights to images are clear or not. Who cares? It's the White House where law is what they say it is.......until someone says no.

Umm... I hate to break this to them...being President means a man leads the nation, it doesn't mean he OWNS the damn place. Surprise! He can't just rip-off any cultural icon that strikes his fancy or that of his campaign people..without so much as a 'by your leave' to those who made and use the character daily.

What ARROGANCE given how MANY times this type of incident has now happened. You'd think it'd be a standing order to verify sources and confirm rights by now. For God's Sake, this is the WHITE HOUSE...and the rule I suggest is almost beaten into every College student in EVERY class it even MAY apply for on the FIRST DAY of the class. I guess College Educations have faded a bit for some?
edit on 9-10-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Obama's people made a mistake not asking.
The Incident gets bigger if they continue to use "ole Yellar"
Seeing as you are a Big Bird Fan, I would think you would be mad at Romney,
Who wants to stick a Fork in Him.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
If Obama keep this up, even Big Bird will have higher ratings than he does.....

I heard on MSM tonight, the Obama reelection crew is *considering* Big Birds request.....

Des

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
obama is falling to every dirty political trick in the book.

romney purposely said he'll cut big bird, knowing they'll take the bait.

after the massacre of the debate, under pressure to retaliate, obama is stooping to romney's level and attacking him with big bird.

now you'll notice romney is taking the high road and obama looks foolish and immature wasting millions on big bird, ignoring the fact romney has no power to cut sesame street, and if he (obama) wins re-election, he can keep it.

what obama should be saying is that if he's elected, he'll keep big bird, when ever he's asked.

at least that'll get you the sesame street vote.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

The Company that owns Sesame Street has over 3/4 of a billion dollars in hand at the moment. I'd rather the 1 million of our tax dollars given to PBS go to hungry children...not children plopped in front of a tv. Sesame Street is a financially stable and profitable company...they don't need our tax dollars.

Des

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

The Company that owns Sesame Street has over 3/4 of a billion dollars in hand at the moment. I'd rather the 1 million of our tax dollars given to PBS go to hungry children...not children plopped in front of a tv. Sesame Street is a financially stable and profitable company...they don't need our tax dollars.

Des
Well I would like to see our 3 Billion a year given to Israel to murder Palestine Civilians used to feed the poor as well.

But in the Real World, What You and I want, doesn't amount to a Hill of Beans.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Des

A child needs more than food my dear and what he is offered determines the adult he becomes.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

edit on 10/10/2012 by chasingbrahman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Both have made asses out of themselves for exploiting PBS and Sesame Street in general.

There is absolutely NO need to cut PBS.

It takes an unique breed of ignoramus to propose such a thing.

If you cut public television, you're looking at a nation of Honey Boo Boos.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It’s truly sad that people are thinking so little they pick up a silly sound byte on an election and go with it. I was shocked to find out our government supports Public Television in such a huge amount. I though public TV was supported by private donations.

As far as Big Bird and cartoon characters being the subject of a mock election go for it. Obama is most likely going to win. They just haven’t adjusted his implant yet to get back up and use his reverend voice yet. I was also surprise how many of my customers took the bit byte and repeated it at work that day, just goes to prove HAARP works…

top topics

join