It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gunmen shoot 14-year-old girl who spoke out against the Taliban

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Can't believe I just had to do that......

You didn't. You chose to and wanted to. No one forced you.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Perhaps, in an effort to educate

It all tracks back to your bigoted comment and your attempts to squirm away from it when called out, anyway.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAnAspie
wow, perhaps she was the only person that day blogging about such issues.

She was quite famous, locally, for her campaign. You seem to determined to take away from her the courage required to do that, though.

no wonder of all people they picked her to make a targeted kill so simply as if this is a worthwhile target in their plight. A kill more for obvious negative attention then even so much as acquisition of a real goal, the pursuit of a true obstacle as a target.

It was a statement from the Taliban that they will not allow girls/women to have their basic rights. It is something they do quite often to silence their detractors.

Having said all that, who is the last nasty type of person to kill school girls here in the states,,, oh that doesn't happen,,, oh no, wait... it does! Somebody should totally come bomb us and tell us how to be, occupy our lands and kill a whole lot of other school girls in the process to put a complete stop to that mess... because we seem to have all kinds of stuff like that happening.

Oh, but those are different reasons.

huh, what? That makes it a little less like murder then?

Your example would just be a lone serial killer, not acting out of any ideological basis. That is what makes this terrorism (rather than a simple attempted murder), to effect political change via violent means.

In this case, the political change would be the barring of girls from education and accessing their most basic of human rights, but instead treat them like a commodity to be traded and owned. The girl was a lone voice in the Swat area of Pakistan (a known hotbed of Islamic extremism) standing up for her rights

I am really not sure what you're angling at, to be honest.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by khimbar

Perhaps, in an effort to educate

It all tracks back to your bigoted comment and your attempts to squirm away from it when called out, anyway.

Again you use the word squirming. When I have I squirmed?

Originally posted by khimbar
I escaped and I stand by my original statement.

Which part of that is squirming?

Which part of my post was bigoted again? Is it not a fact that Birmingham has a higher than average percentage population of Pakistani origin?

From wikipedia.

Birmingham has the second largest Pakistani community in the United Kingdom (130,000 Pakistanis made up 13 per cent of the city's population in 2012). Although London has twice as many Pakistanis, Birmingham is viewed as the 'main location' of all Pakistanis in Britain. The largest concentrations are in inner city Birmingham and areas such as Sparkhill, Small Heath, Bordesley Green, Balsall Heath, Aston, Ward End, Lozells, Nechells, Alum Rock and Washwood Heath. Wealthy middle-class Pakistanis tend to live in Hall Green and Yardley.

How is saying 'she would feel at home in this city' bigoted? Is it factually inaccurate?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

She's in Birmingham now.

She'll feel right at home if she walks outside the hospital.

You are a fool. An an uneducated one at that:-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

Let's pick the most absurd thing we could possibly do and do that as a statement.

I want to know who made a 14 year old girl a spokesperson against the Taliban.

She did when she decided to speak out against The Taliban and their intent to deny her the right to education.

It's interesting that you asked me this because the true reason I wanted to know is because the link wouldn't load.

Just tried it and it still works fine for me.

Here's a couple more links - they also link to an enormous number of other related links.

www.bbc.co.uk...
world.time.com...

I still think this is absurd and I still want to know who facilitated her making HERSELF famous for this because if 14 year olds made themselves famous then every 14 year old would be famous.

By blogging on the internet anyone can achieve a relative level of notoriety - the fact is she achieved a certain amount of localised notoriety by speaking out against The Taliban - The Taliban made her internationally famous by carrying out this brutal and barbaric attack upon her.

If YOU doubt the veracity of this story or suspect all is not as portrayed I suggest the onus is on YOU to supply evidence to support this.
Until such time that you or anyone else does this I personally will take this for what the available evidence suggests it is - a direct and intended attempt to murder a teenage schoolgirl for nothing more than wanting to be educated and directly opposing the demands of The Taliban.

The Taliban intended to use her murder as a warning to others not to oppose their desire to impose their brand of Sahria upon people - instead they seem to have made a martyr - one they still seem hell bent on removing.

As I write this their is breaking news that people pretending to be her relatives have attempted to reach her and have been arrested - no further details are available at present.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

How is saying 'she would feel at home in this city' bigoted? Is it factually inaccurate?

No, it is not. Merely having a higher than average Pakistani population would not then make her "feel at home". Birmingham is nothing at all like the Swat Valley.

In fact, all you said was "She's in Birmingham now. She'll feel right at home if she walks outside the hospital."

Now, the Hospital is in Edgbaston which actually has a lower amount of Pakistani's or Muslims (8% compared to 16%) than the rest of Birmingham, so clearly your comment was based out of bigotry and a feeling that Brum is somehow "un-English" rather than any kind of facts. In fact, Edgbaston has a higher than local average of Sikhs, Buddhists and Jews.

This is an example of the squirming I am on about. You made a snide remark and, clearly unexpected by you, got called on it. Now you are desperately trying to cover your tracks with "facts" but have even got them wrong.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Regardless of the accuracy of your statement, with all due respect you've still failed to explain how it is in any way relevant to this story and discussion.

So there is a high percentage of people of Pakistani origin in Birmingham - your point is?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Speaking of Birmingham, my niece is a nurse at UAB in the other B'ham.

She was going off about this story. This girl was allegedly shot by "the Taliban".
Her son had a trauma head wound several years ago and his head was swollen and black and blue for a few weeks after being life-flighted.
She has seen others with all types of head wounds.
This photo of a girl in a small pristine bandage with no swelling nor discoloration drainage, etc. was evidence that this girl was not shot.

Then I showed her she was right to be suspicious.

fotoforensics.com...

The evidence is clear that the photo of the girl, if not the entire incidence was faked.
I post these kind of notices on all the news stories where warranted to let others know the degree the media is nothing but a propaganda arm.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Let's pick the most absurd thing we could possibly do and do that as a statement.

She did when she decided to speak out against The Taliban and their intent to deny her the right to education.

It's interesting that you asked me this because the true reason I wanted to know is because the link wouldn't load.

Just tried it and it still works fine for me.

Here's a couple more links - they also link to an enormous number of other related links.

www.bbc.co.uk...
world.time.com...

I still think this is absurd and I still want to know who facilitated her making HERSELF famous for this because if 14 year olds made themselves famous then every 14 year old would be famous.

By blogging on the internet anyone can achieve a relative level of notoriety - the fact is she achieved a certain amount of localised notoriety by speaking out against The Taliban - The Taliban made her internationally famous by carrying out this brutal and barbaric attack upon her.

If YOU doubt the veracity of this story or suspect all is not as portrayed I suggest the onus is on YOU to supply evidence to support this.
Until such time that you or anyone else does this I personally will take this for what the available evidence suggests it is - a direct and intended attempt to murder a teenage schoolgirl for nothing more than wanting to be educated and directly opposing the demands of The Taliban.

The Taliban intended to use her murder as a warning to others not to oppose their desire to impose their brand of Sahria upon people - instead they seem to have made a martyr - one they still seem hell bent on removing.

As I write this their is breaking news that people pretending to be her relatives have attempted to reach her and have been arrested - no further details are available at present.

You're missing a lot of points here. I didn't infer the link was broken. I inferred you don't really have an overly obvious reason to know my exact clicking habits.

Secondly, net notoriety is not fame. You can post crap online all day long and it doesn't mean the taliban is going to hear about it unless they read the exact same blog... what are the chances. Now if this so called fame extended beyond her act of posting her opinions, allowing even more people to read it, then an outside source called some other kind of attention to it. They really wouldn't have any reason to be doing that, not any local newspaper, radio station, tv station... no reason to put her in harms way... SO, looks like you don't need to be explaining the simple stuff to ME when you can't see that I am already aware of this and I have already expanded on possibilities.

NEWSFLASH... I don't have to have your permission to have a doubt, nor do I have to be able to convince you.

Are you so ready to believe this in no way shape or form could have been yet another mock up to the point where you can't even allow someone to have a freaking opinion about it.

Well, I find that strange. Or maybe you're just the type that only sees the surface and this might explain why you are explaining stuff to me as though you didn't get any of my underlying points.

I get what it was SUPPOSED to represent. I think most people do. Why repeat it? Are you TRYING to drill it into people's minds by repetition? Or do you just not get the fact that much of your simplified explanations are irrelevant to the fact that they have a plethora of targets they could use which would send a much stronger message than this... Do you get it? She is not the only one who speaks, does not speak the loudest and is not even close to being a danger to them compared to others.

My God... It's not complicated dude!

If they wanted to send a strong message they would have offed someone in a more pivotal position.. at least SOMEWHAT pivotal... They would not have chosen a school girl because that does not make you look strong, that makes you look weak.

WEAK...GET IT? (yeah, lets go pick on school girls)

Do you know what MOTIVE IS?

Do you know that one of the most important aspects to a crime is MOTIVE.

MOTIVE.

Look at the motive... just look at the motive! Who's got a bigger motive here? The Taliban or those who wage war against the Taliban?

Do not tell me what or how to think, guy. I'm not the GLOSSER, ok... I'm not the glossy one. I'm not the one who can only take the simplest definition. I'm thinking! I'm thinking just fine without your step by step dictation.

A good portion of my suspicion here is directly tied to two things... the odds in this story and motive and I'm real damn sorry age old approach is suddenly NOT acceptable SAYS YOU.

edit on 17-10-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
HEADLINES!!!

Taliban says "ONLY WE ARE ALLOWED TO SPEAK OUT ABOUT OURSELVES"

Women's rights, they violate womans rights. Girl speaks out and they get mad. Why? She's advertising on their behalf and they do not want to tolerate such things so they kill her publicly taking it to a level of publication where the whole world will get confirmation of the exact thing they don't want anyone accusing them of or talking about.

Are you #ing kidding me?

Everytime I hear stories like this I can only imagine this being done by southpark characters with a completely ridiculous work up. These people must be so stupid it's surprising they can get anything done.

Now, if they were paid, if they were brainwashed, seriously on drugs and promised a fix... perhaps... but that motive is completely wacked.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I didn't infer the link was broken. I inferred you don't really have an overly obvious reason to know my exact clicking habits.

Maybe I do have poor comprehension skills - but the phrase 'the link won't load' infers to me that the link is broken and after re-reading your post several times I really don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Secondly, net notoriety is not fame. You can post crap online all day long and it doesn't mean the taliban is going to hear about it unless they read the exact same blog...

She became quite the local celebrity.
Once The Taliban were driven out from Swat her identity was revealed and subsequent various documentaries and interviews etc secured her a certain amount of fame.

In early 2009, at the age of 11, Yousafzai wrote a blog under a pseudonym for the BBC detailing her life under Taliban rule, their attempts to take control of the valley, and her views on promoting education for girls.The following summer, a New York Times documentary was filmed about her life as the Pakistani military intervened in the region, culminating in the Second Battle of Swat. Yousafzai began to rise in prominence, giving interviews in print and on television, and taking a position as chairperson of the District Child Assembly Swat. She has since been nominated for the International Children's Peace Prize by Desmond Tutu, and has won Pakistan's first National Youth Peace Prize.

Seems reasonably well documented to me.

Her father has been something of a mentor and publicist for her.

Yousafzai was shaped in large part by her father, Ziauddin Yousafzai, who is a poet, school owner and an educational activist himself, running a chain of schools known as the Khushal Public School, also named after a famous Pashtun poet, Khushal Khan Khattak.

At the beginning of 2009, Yousafzai had a chance to write for BBC Urdu when her father, Ziauddin, was asked by Abdul Hai Kakkar, a BBC reporter out of Pakistan, if any women at his school would write about life under the Taliban. At the time, Taliban militants led by Maulana Fazlullah were taking over the Swat Valley, banning television, music, girls’ education, and women from going shopping. Bodies of beheaded policemen were hanging from town squares. At first, a girl named Aisha from her father's school agreed to write a diary, but then the girl's parents stopped her from doing it because they feared Taliban reprisals. The only alternative was Yousafzai, four years younger than the original volunteer, and in seventh grade at the time.[26] Editors at the BBC unanimously agreed. It is unclear whether Yousafzai or her father first suggested that she write for the BBC.

en.wikipedia.org...

NEWSFLASH... I don't have to have your permission to have a doubt, nor do I have to be able to convince you.

I don't think I or anyone else has ever suggested anything of the sort.
But it is a discussion site and it is pretty much accepted that anyone offering an alternative opinion will supply supportive evidence and / or reasoning - and it's not unreasonable or unusual for people to request it if none is evident.

As of yet no-one has presented any sort of evidence or proof to suggest that this is anything other than that what it alleges to be.

If they wanted to send a strong message they would have offed someone in a more pivotal position..

They try to, quite frequently.

But I think the intended message here is that no-one, not even a 14year old schoolgirl, is allowed to contradict The Taliban's interpretation of the Islamic faith, that everyone must obey Sharia and submit to what they believe is the will of Allah and that ANYONE disagreeing or contravening their disctates will be severely punished.

It's been a bit of an own goal if you ask me.

Do not tell me what or how to think, guy.

No-one has told you what to think - just offered a different opinion - there's really no need at all to get all arsey about anything.

A good portion of my suspicion here is directly tied to two things... the odds in this story and motive and I'm real damn sorry age old approach is suddenly NOT acceptable SAYS YOU.

I've said nothing of the sort, please show me where I have.

Not everything is a conspiracy - sometimes things are simply just what they appear to be.

I honestly don't know why you are getting so stroppy?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Your second to the last line sums it up.

And I just got done explaining to you why I don't think you're in a position to tell me how to think on this issue by the way you keep arguing with things like "not everything is a conspiracy"

If that statement and "prove it" is your best type of argument then don't add to that the notion that you think no one has the right to speculate.

Why? Because this isn't a lesson on posting or how to think through an issue such as this unless you want to turn it into one. I'm pretty sure you did and you got my response that I don't think I need your help. You are also not helping me not be suspicious of this, you are wishing to not ALLOW me to be suspicious of this and I'm explaining to you that you don't have a choice in the matter.

I don't care if you think it goes against some contrived notion of decency because I firmly believe in the importance of questioning things. At worst, I could be wrong but you'll not hamper my attempt at opening doors of thought for speculation so easily because I find it as perfectly normal, healthy and a lot of the time QUITE possible.

I caught your drift quite squarely my friend and no I have no PROOF of motive!

Why would you even ask me that knowing that there is probably just a few articles of this floating around on different sites and that the media has already decided the culprits and the motive. Now you want to paint it as friendly advice? Some people cannot stop themselves of certain habits concerning control of what others think and spin of situations.

If you want to argue with me, try to convince me with the subject, not the traditions and acceptable mind frames.

For example, give me the details of the immediate response and investigation which lead to accusation. I mean real details of how even though it could not be stopped for whatever reasons, it was resolved as being the Taliban.

Oh wait, maybe you don't have that because YOU said her father helped her get quite a local rep but here the article says "Yousufzai later received the country's highest civilian award. She was also nominated for international awards for child activists."

International?

You mean coming from outside of Pakistan? What is this International Award and what committee is deciding who gets what award? I'd like to ask this committee whether or not they knew about these subsequent threats this girl started receiving.

It's worse than I actually expected it to be. How could you not know I would probably think that, so why in the WORLD did you even try to pass off that it wouldn't be even more interesting and the kind of crap I'd expect?

I've just given numerous points on my opinions... if you have a problem with that, admit you have a problem with it or stop being concerned about my stance because I don't think that you telling me what you read and that you think nothing out of the way of it is really any kind of argument.

Ok, you're not speculating... I am. Do not take it personal or think it's your job to tell me not everything is a conspiracy (Oh, REALLY? GEE!) unless you've got a real argument to put up.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
In a region given over by ceasefire to the Taliban and just recently retaken by the army, this girl who was made an international ACTIVIST against a terrorist organization was shot on a bus to the same school that the Taliban had closed... and she started getting threats.

Did anyone from the national community or international community seem to care as she was getting threats?

No... She just hopped right back on her school bus which I am so certain she was just so happy about doing after being threatened and was shot.

I think more than just a few people should be arrested for child endangerment at the very least.

This is some sick sick stuff for news fodder.

Oh wait, wait... lemme guess... nobody knew she was being threatened... nobody who could really do anything outside of her family and community could do anything.

but look here, the whole world can now read that she's dead. can't they?

how convenient.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join