It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The countdown has begun for Felix Baumgartner's epic jump from the edge of space!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentX09

its now 5.30 pm GMT mate hope he jumps today weather permitting

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moneyisgodlifeisrented
Wait a minute, Red Bull gives you wings, and this is all about falling.....That's some stuff?!?!?!

Red Bull gives you *plumets down towards earth* Wiiiiiiiiinnnnnnngggggggssssssssssss

I hope people wont take that to serious lol, before everyone starts jumping after drinking a bull

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Thankyou so much for the post. I will not miss to watch that epic jump

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Update

Meteorologist Don Day says we will wait out the wind with a target launch set for 11:30am. We will have a call by 9:30 am.

I can wait
When it happens, it will be epic.
This is the longest Red Bull ad ever

edit on 9/10/12 by sevensheeps because: update

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Octagon

I hear ya, I am not leaving until I see it, I am now strapped in to the couch securely, got my snacks and drinks on standby, just waiting on the show.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Amid all the underlying problems that face our planet today.

This is something remarkable.

Very soon we'll see Special Forces doing stealthy orbital drops.

Like in that new JJ Abrams New Star Trek movie!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
A human body breaking through the sound barrier.Its unreal.How can anyone completely know what might happen to the guy?
edit on 9-10-2012 by AgentX09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Well they did it before so I guess they know it's kinda safe.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Kittinger got close. If breaking the sound barrier is significantly different, we will know (hopefully) in a few hours.

The person you are asking about is Joseph Kittinger who accomplished a number of pioneering high-altitude feats during the 1950s and 1960s. Kittinger's most famous first came while he held the rank of Captain in the US Air Force. On 16 August 1960, Kittinger jumped from a balloon high in the stratosphere to make the longest skydive from the highest altitude in history. It is a common misconception that Kittinger exceeded the speed of sound during his fall, but this was not the case. He did reach a peak velocity of 614 mph (988 km/h), however, a mark that still stands as the fastest speed ever reached by a human without a vehicle. Though Kittinger fell short of supersonic speeds, he did get pretty close and achieved a maximum of about Mach 0.9, or 90% of the speed of sound.

aerospaceweb

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

That makes it even more exiting as it already is.

I did not know that, thanks for the information!

Do you think the mach wave will do any damage to the human body?

The only thing I could find was something on Wiki.

Some studies claim to show that sonic booms from U.S. Navy testing in Vieques, Puerto Rico, increased the incidence of vibroacoustic disease, a thickening of heart tissue. However, other scientists dispute the claims.

Sonic Boom Wiki

edit on 9/10/12 by sevensheeps because: update

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
They're gearing up for launch...SO CLOSE NOW.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sevensheeps

What if the sonic boom rips his feet off or something? This could turn into a real horror show! I'm sure he'll be fine though.

ETA: Picture, felt the urge.

edit on 9-10-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
reply to post by sevensheeps

What if the sonic boom rips his feet off or something? This could turn into a real horror show! I'm sure he'll be fine though.

Well it's going to be in the history books one way or the other.

I think it's going to be fine too.

Mission Update

After a weather hold for winds earlier this morning, the crew is starting the balloon layout process! There is some hope that the winds at balloon top level (approx. 800 feet) will begin to decrease. The balloon top levels have been too strong throughout the morning hours for a safe launch attempt despite nearly calm conditions on the surface.

As high pressure builds over southeast New Mexico this morning, winds aloft will decrease, hopefully to acceptable levels for launch. Winds ideally should be calm to 3 mph from the surface to approximately 800 feet above ground level.

We will be monitoring the winds above ground level this morning before a decision is made on whether to launch or not.

Red Bull Stratos Blog

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by maryhinge

its now 5.30 pm GMT mate hope he jumps today weather permitting

just been on live site and it says that they are laying out the balloon
and theres 1 hour and 45 mins to takeoff

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
anyone else see what appears to be two zig zagging light dots to the left and right of the highlights caused by the sun on the camera lens? What are they? Any ideas? Maybe observation blimps, copters etc.?

I am not suggesting spaceships or aliens here...just asking.
Camera Feed Live Link
edit on 9-10-2012 by MightyQuincunx because: adding link to camera source

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MightyQuincunx

They (the lights) are moving but they are clearly NOT in sync with the movement of the camera. In fact, the movements of each are clearly independent of each other.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I think you will find they are weather balloons (similar to the one he will be using but smaller) so they can monitor the weather. They were mentioned somewhere in the blog.

Blog
edit on 9/10/2012 by YarlanZey because: To add linky to blog

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by YarlanZey

Thanks...just wondering. I have to admit that it kinda got me thinking a bit. ::laughs::

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I think the UFOs will start to arrive once he has been launched - blast them having the ultimate front row seats!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by YarlanZey

I think that someone somewhere said, "It sure pays to be an alien."

Okay...enough of this foolishness...I have to go back and crap my pants as I live vicariously through this crazy bastard. ::still laughing::

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join