It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your right to resell your own stuff is in peril .. Kirtsaeng v. John Wiley & Sons

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Just #ing Try it. I dare you. I double #ing dare you, See what will happen to the people responsable.

The people can only be pushed and oppressed so much.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
If they sell it they have given up all rights.
The only way they can maintain control is if they 'leased' the items, But they won't do that because they would need to maintain them for the leasor and if it worked as well at the end of the lease it would expose the fact that they 'could' make an item to last but choose not to.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
So after I've completed the digestive process on some foreign, imported foods, does the transfer of custody to the city sewer require them to obtain OEM permission?

I'm being ridiculous to demonstrate the slippery slope this can snowball into. Individual ownership rights is freedom and commerce.

"The government takes what it wants and taxes the rest..."

Atlas Shrugged is becoming a program guide for our government, not a fiction.
edit on 9-10-2012 by tkwasny because: typo fix

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
You can legally make personal copies of your CD's and DVD's. Then don't sell the original - give it away. If everyone gave away their CD's and DVD's after copying then the industry would see how silly this idea is. They would still lose money. Consumers must say, O.k. pal, you wanna screw me? I'm gonna screw you first !

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Not in the UK, here its still technically unlawful to copy music from a CD to your iPod, whether you purchased the CD or not. I believe in most cases the laws already exist, most were agreed to by various countries through international treaties on the basis of cooperation with and recognition of intellectual property rights and copyright across borders. What we are starting to see now is interpritation of those laws and the setting of legal precident. The end result is that you will have zero control over anything where the rights of that thing belong to someone other than yourself. Pretty soon youll have a house full of crap you bought but no more own than you do your neighbors house.
edit on 9-10-2012 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
I'm not in or from USA but I didnt know whether to laugh or cry at reading this article

It could become illegal to resell your iPhone 4, car or family antiques

Basically it is saying that, if the law is passed, anybody would not be able to sell their possessions if they were made outside of US without first getting permission from the manufacturer.

I know this sort of thing has been raised before, especially with firms like Sony who hate it when second hand dvd's are sold, because they see it as them losing a sale.

But I had no idea that there was a move to apply the 'logic' to everything else.

As the article says, the first thing that will happen is that all manufacturing will be moved out of US to provide the owners with the new powers.

In my opinion it's sheer madness and just another Big Corporation idea to control us even more.

The problem is buying something from another country. It appears corporations have different costs and profit margins in other countries. They don't want a business mined entrepreneur taking advantage of this. It's like old people buying drugs from Canada. It can be done but there has to be an agreement.

I don't know about moving production plants just so they can sue. That sounds like a stretch. As far as yard sales, I don't think there's any profit in controlling used stuff. Unless it's Apple saying no way to selling your old phone This would mean that anyone who wants one has to buy a new one from Apple. And that's the road we don't want to go down.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I hope this doesn't come to fruition. I make my living buying and selling things, I wonder what the punishment would be if one would be caught?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius

I called Microsoft and they said they can see every computer on the Internet and they saw my legitimate Windows XP and they saw another computer using the same XP key so they disabled BOTH. Even tho mine was legit and the other one was some punk who used a key generator to create a key for his bootleg software.

Microsoft permanently disabled the software and I lost thousands of family photos, music, videos of the kids.

That's when I found out in Amerika, we have NO rights to property. My kids and our extended family have sworn off Microsoft and anything connected to them.

The computers now all have switches in the Bios to permanently disable their motherboards. Google "Intel vPro" or "Intel Insider". Microsoft crawled in bed with Phoenix Bios in 2003 to create hardware kill switches for them.

Think only Microsoft has that?

That is why I have two hard drives. One has the operating system, and everything on it that needs the operating system to work.

The other hard drive has no operating system, and works just as a storage drive. I can take that, and plug it into any other computer I want to. I will always have full access to that drive, as long as it doesn't crash. I might buy a new storage drive after awhile, and copy everything on the new one also to be safe.

My Windows XP also pops up that windows advantage thing also. That is only because I had to take a hard drive from a laptop whose motherboard burnt out, and use it in my computer where the original hard drive with the OEM crashed.

I click on activate later. Block the windows licensing key in Private Firewall, and basically do as I read online not to try to update the system. I'll update all other software. I have a good firewall, antivirus protection, and other programs to help protect against viruses and other nasty things. I really haven't had much problem. Eventually Microsoft is going to discontinue updates and help for XP like they did for earlier versions. I refuse to get the latest version.

This court case isn't good at all. My mom and I are also E-bay sellers. She makes a living at it, and has done antique shows for 20 years. I sell on E-bay to help make ends meet, since I don't work. If this affects buying and selling online, I am going to be upset. For many people who sell second hand online at Ebay, Etsy, Ecrater, Ebid, Amazon, and many other sites, that is their lively hood.

We do have to be careful, and voice our opinion now. Heck little kids can not have lemon aid stands now due to stupid laws. I have seen youtube clips showing the cops shutting them down, and I believe Fox news did a segment on it also. You just never know how a stupid lawyer is going to twist a seemingly innocent law that was suppose to regulate and control only one tiny aspect of something particular into a giant octopus that effects everything.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
So my stepdad gave me his android after he got a Samsung Galaxy as my other phone is going to be shut off because of a plan switch.

Why am I not in jail or LG company busting down my door to take the phone back?

Seriously, the way this case is going, we must be allowed to duct tape this picture to every CEO behind this:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Its seems like almost every few weeks some stupid new law that screws us all over is trying to be pushed through Congress/Parliament. Its just going on and on and its never going to get any better ever.

Its not long until they make us all wear oxygen tanks when we go out and have to pay to refill them. I can see it now oxygen fillings stations placed every half mile or so and ramming up the prices just like they do with every other fuel/energy supplier.

You will eventually have an air supply directly into your home with monthly bills based on how much you use, pay more for bigger family's and bigger homes the costs would be crippling on top of current and future fuel/energy like gas and electric.

They have started the process already I'm sure. Screw up the atmosphere just to invent new ways of taking back what they give us for working for them.

When its pay day they may as well slap you around the face with the wad of cash you would of had...

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

Who knows. People are already buying bottled water. Most of that is just regular tap water put into the bottle.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

slightly off topic but...
let's hope they don't start with a poo tax 'weigh and pay'! toilets with card readers and sensors to determine how much gas emitted. sounds silly but i wouldn't put anything past these financial terrorists.
f.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I was reading this stuff somewhere else,I don't remember where.

This "Intellectual Property" stuff is getting outta hand.

Once the "First Sale" or "First Purchase" is made,it should be your property ,but those pesky lawyers,and those who can afford to hire them to twist and "Attorn" the law want to collect royalties for nothing forever...

Just stop buying stuff you don't need,and you know you don't need most of what you got.

But Monsanto owns a licenses on much of what you eat,and you are what you eat,so you may find out you are theirs...

Happy Halloween.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
That would hasten the economic collapse. I hope it wouldn't happen, or be passed,but I can't trust the leaders be guided by logic, as happens so many times

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
All of this crap started so long ago,and people don't pass on memory after they die,so all those things their parents and grandparents lived through,and so on are lost.

Try getting some high school kid to actually understand "The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire",having not ever had to REALLY go get his/her own stuff.You can't expect someone who has never really worked to understand labor rights.A biggie when you look around the country and try to find a job that really does treat people fairly,most don't.

These issues with property have been around since the licensure crap during the civil war.Car registration is there to make it safe for those you pay the fees to,they have a safe income because there are so many ignorant people out there that question very little or nothing.They are more concerned with not rocking the boat,when they should be bailing.

A marriage license was from around the civil war era also,it was enacted for marriage between persons of mixed race.The criminals in charge realized how much cash could be made from it,and made it a law for everyone to get one before they could marry.

Anyway,it comes right down to the ignorance of the masses,and there is an awful lot of ignorance out there,believe you me....

1-The church influences ignorance, always has,always will...
2-Government?,if I have to explain it there is no point...
3-Business?,why have people do it themselves?,there ain't no profit in that...
4-Education?,why teach kids they don't need all that # they want?,ain't no profit in that.
5-Military?,see 1 and 2...
6-Did you ever really learn anything useful from your TV,the internet used to be worth a # once,but now they are both nothing more than a way to sell you # you don 't really want,or need...

I could go on for days and days,but for a large portion of the population of the world it falls on deaf ears.

There is a way to fix this,those with the funds have the power,they get their funds and power from us because we are just too stupid and lazy to realize everything they have comes from us.

Just go about your day,nothing to see here.

You're too busy trying to get by,without ever really thinking about why you just can't seem to,that ain't no accident either ya dummy.

No offense,but unless you get lost,you always will be.

Ya see,this is all just a fabrication,a manipulation.

You are nothing more than an investment,or they would just outright kill you to cut costs,It happens you see?,them criminals have to be locked up so you don't get scared and stop shopping for all that # you don't need.

So just go out into the wilderness while it's still not something you have to pay some asshole for,and try to shake it off,the truth is right in front of you,it always has been.

Nevermind,it's too damned late.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Those writng the laws are left with the task of enforcing or capitalizing on them.

If we were to refuse to follow the laws,they could not enforce them.

It is a matter of consent,and there are always stupid people who are willing to go with the flow,and enable precedent to be set,which makes that crap they write become legitimate other than legal fiction.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
I was reading this stuff somewhere else,I don't remember where.

This "Intellectual Property" stuff is getting outta hand.

Happy Halloween.

You can thank Walt Disney for this mess. They are the single largest lobbying force in this country on copyright and trademark extension. These laws were never intended to allow anyone to have rights to anything in perpetuity it stifles innovation and derivatives.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join