It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your right to resell your own stuff is in peril .. Kirtsaeng v. John Wiley & Sons

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hillarie
What would they do if everyone just ignored this law and sold their stuff. It's their stuff. People have to stop following these stupid laws.

This is exactly right.

Your "rights" are only your rights as long as you secure them. You don't ask for rights, you just live them. If this law passes, it will make no difference to me. I will do what I want with my items.

To be honest, it will only drive my tendancy towards piracy.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I'm not concerned at all. The PTB can try frantically and futilely to pass and enforce this law. Medieval kings and queens tried variants of this law. It ended up getting them beheaded while people bartered at market. The best weapon we have against these jackasses is an alternative local currency and the revolution is on with so many aware of their con. They have fired too many warning shots at people just trying make a living. Intimidation only works when there is something to lose.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

this could be part of a wider initiative that countries like the UK / US are going to charge china a hefty imports tax but in return they will make the second hand sale of said items illegal , this would make it a easier pill for the Chinese companies to swallow and bring in vast quantities of cash for the government.

Great idea if your the government , for the people just another way of screwing us over.

very sad if it happens
edit on 8/10/12 by tombangelta because: i cant spell

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Garage sales and Kijiji are killing the retail market, and the economic depression is getting worse. Nothing worse than a Cargo Cult Economy.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Piracy will take on a whole new meaning. Instead of reselling your junk at some legal venue like a flea market or Craigs list, dock workers will break open cargo containers and sell the tshirts and DVD players out the back of their pickup trucks.

Then everyone can be a petty criminal.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hillarie
What would they do if everyone just ignored this law and sold their stuff. It's their stuff. People have to stop following these stupid laws.

They're not LAWs, they're legislation. SONY, and every other product, is subject to the constitution, PERIOD. In order for any Legislation to be legal it must honor the constitution and basic common law, of thou shalt not harm: ie. rape, murder, steal, deprive or enslave!

In fact, it is your DUTY to not follow corrupt legislation because it is a crime to enforce unlawful legislation and ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Any official, mayor, or police officer enforcing this Criminal Law is committing a crime! So break it openly. Write in an say to everyone, phone in mad and state very clearly, "I will NOT obey your unlawful criminal legislation and if you do not overturn this, I will see to it that you lose your job, pension and are dealt with like the nazi you are!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This will be impossible to enforce. I just see them using it if they want to arrest you for something else that they can't make stick, so they nail you for selling your old laptop on Craigslist. I see it being used as a harasment tool as well. Maybe you're politically active and TPTB don't like your activities. Then they nail you for selling.

They have used tax laws like that. They could't get Al Capone for rum-running and whatever else he was doing, so they got him for tax evasion.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Now in case there is anyone who doesn't understand the constitution yet. The constitution does not list your rights! This is a mistake made by slave class mentality.

The constitution takes away a few of your inalienable infinite sovereign rights, and renogiates them for the sake of the country. The rest STAND AS YOURS, TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!
edit on 8-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
When I read comments on threads like this about very important issues that further destroy constitution and freedoms, and then read people saying, well I will do as I wish anyway with my things and not obey.

FINE, that part is good.

BUT, if you simply ignore and yet allow, the law to stand, and ALLOW, your children to inherit this nail in the coffin of FREEDOM, you are NOT BEHAVING WITH DIGNITY, RESPONSIBILITY, OR RIGHT ACTION.

YOU MUST MAKE IT VERY CLEAR TO ALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES AND POLICE THAT THIS IS A CRIMINAL UNLAWFUL LAW, AND LIST OTHERS AS WELL. AND THEN PLAY HARD BALL LOUDLY AND FIRMLY. AND GET RID OF IT.

PASS THE HAT LOCALLY FOR FUNDS TO DO SO IF IT WILL TAKE LEGAL WORK, BUT PHONE CALLS AND INTIMIDATION DOESN'T.
edit on 8-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by proximo
reply to post by bigyin

This is insanity. The implications if this passed are immense. How would enforcement be handled for barter, would that also constitute a sale? What about gifts, although not exactly barter, gifts are usually given for a reason and could also be interpreted as barter.

This would be the ultimate stripping of property rights, if this goes into law it basically means soon enough we would have no control over anything we purchased. There would be no way to store wealth, other than the currency and that can be devalued at the governments whim.

In short we would officially be slaves.

Someone posted above you that this UNLAWFUL CRIME was passed, and now is going to COURT. People need to stop allowing this and also, watch carefully for the corruption of the Supreme Court. If enough people ACT and use Intimidation and Bullying themselves and start to stand up righteously, revolution will not be necessary. I watched Alex Jones, at Bildenburg with a BULLHORN. They did that little freeze, and put their heads down. They don't like it, and that is the look we should be shoving at our politicians daily, for they don't own us, we employ them.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
in canada they tried to pass a bill --- i don't know if they did or not,
that says if your selling anything second hand,you have to have the original owners manual for that product.
if its old furniture,you have to prove the materials used in its construction were obtained legally!
so if you have a garage sale and your trying to sell an 'almost new' childs carseat,you have to have
the paperwork on installation,and safe use.
if you have an antique cabinet to sell,you have to have proof that it wasnt made with rare endangered wood!
god forbid you have an ivory pipe for sale or your in big trouble!!!!
again,i don't know if this bill got passed or not,but i think it would be really hard to enforce.

No one knows of it, and if it ever rears its ugly head. THEN THEY WILL BE ON THE LINE. AND WISH THEY HAD HONORED THE PEOPLE.

I DON'T BELIEVE IN GIVING PENSIONS TO FASCISTS. I BELIEVE THEY WALK A FINE LINE AND WE NEED TO ENSURE THAT THEY KNOW IT, VERY LOUDLY IF NECESSARY!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Ebay just sent me an email www.blacklistednews.com... 0/0/0/Y/M.html to support a guy that was being sued for reselling text books,something i admit have done myself legally and made a tidy sum.
These are just laws to bring about the cashless society.If people can still barter in goods when the currency has no value then TPTB do not have total control which should be painfully clear to all and sundry by now that a total dictatorship is what the goal of all these barmpot laws are.
edit on 8-10-2012 by southbeach because: I added a link.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by PaxVeritas

essentially this is all about the government wanting their cut OF EVERYTHING, and control of everything.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Maybe the first step to Rev 13.17
so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name.

Seems we are becoming more and more restricted with everything but buying and selling they are looking to regulate the internet closely and changes are coming. I am pretty sure they resent the sell of secondhand goods at yard sales and corners where they cannot get all the taxes.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
this is NOT going to happen...because there is no way it can be enforced...6+ billion people on the planet and they are going to monitor re-sales?? it's unworkable also, because sales would go underground, and what if you modified the product? it's amazing that it has got this far in the court system

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
This could end Garage, Yard Sales, Craigslist and your local trading post. What about consignment shops, Goodwill shops and Ebay?
If passed it won't go over well at all. I don't see how they would be allowed to do this.

Nothing the 3 branches of government do is condoned by the majority of Americans but it somehow gets done anyway! The American bully is alive and well! I don't think Americans have any balls so it will probably take an awful lot to get them off of their butts and out on the revolutionary bandwagon!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
People definitely have to speak up loudly about this.

Even if it does only apply to copyrighted materials (I believe this would eventually be carried over to all items) the impact to our pocketbooks and way of life would be tremendous.

Think of all of the poor college students who barely make it through college. They usually need to buy used texts on ebay or from fellow students. They then need to resell their books after a course just to be able to afford the next course. College is already beyond the reach of most students. If they need to only purchase new books, at the outrageous prices charged by publishers, some might never eat, or might not go to college at all. The books for one semester can cost hundreds or thousands when purchased new.

What happens to artwork? There are so many small art shops and collectors, who use art as an investment. If they can not resell without contacting the original artist, this would shut them down.

Think of all of the used book shops. Many people only read because they can afford to buy books for pennies at these shops.

A law like this not only hits the pocketbooks, it can affect the intellectual advancement of everyone... except the wealthy of course.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
FREEDOM UNDER FIRE -- FREEDOM UNDER FIRE -- FREEDOM UNDER FIRE

BTW, EBay won't load today for a lot of people.
Wonder wtf that is about, hasn't happened to me before...

MONDAY, OCT 8, 2012 08:26 AM PDT
Will SCOTUS make it illegal to resell your stuff?
A case that could jeopardize eBay, Craigslist and your garage sale
BY NATASHA LENNARD

TOPICS: COPYRIGHT, CRAIGSLIST, EBAY, IPOD, SCOTUS, SUPREME COURT, LIFE NEWS, NEWS

(Credit: Shutterstock)
If you buy an iPod or a phone, a book or a DVD, it’s currently legal to resell it, as thousands of eBay and Craigslist posts attest.

However, as Jennifer Waters at MarketWatch reports, a little-known case “tucked into the U.S. Supreme Court’s agenda this fall could upend your ability to resell everything from your grandmother’s antique furniture to your iPhone 4.”

Under current law — on the books since 1908 — copyright holders only have control over the first sale, so while I cannot take iPhones straight off the factory line and sell them, I am able to sell a device which I first bought from a retailer.

This, Waters reports, is being challenged:

I can go to Antarctica and drill holes through the ice with your taxes, I can go to the desert and kill what lives there because of a religion, I can go to Africa and cheat the locals out of life and liberty on behalf of capitalism, but not to a flea market...
Something ain't right.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If the guy was actually buying used text books from people who used them or did the guy have his relatives go to the tore and buy them new and then jut send them to him to resell.

I understand both sides of this suit. I think the guy has crossed the line when new items are purchased in other countries and reshipped and exported to be sold locality here in the USA. On the other hand he could be getting legit used books not recycled new purchases which is ok with me.....

I see the problem being not with the guy but with the overseas distributors who sold the books without an export license to prevent this type of "commercial piracy" ........

I don't think this is any comparison to this and for example Ebay. However, I could this law being twisted by corporate America to create a "rental-for-life" society so this is a dangerous precedent in the making.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
If I buy something I own it...then Im also allowed to sell it. If corporations dont like that they will have to sell me a users license for the product instead of selling me the product.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join