It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bought my first convertible. :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
96 chrysler sebring in relatively trashed out condition. However i didnt pay much for it, and none of the problems require a professional mechanic. No major rust except for two small holes. ill get you guys pics later. Basically i figure i can make it look basically new for about 1200...paid 860 for the car. About 2 big ones total. I didnt factor tires and belts into these figures, those are never good on used cars from private party sales....

The original plan was to wait til january and buy an 06 mustang convertible. For 18 grand and giving profit to the rothschilds. to hell with that.

The worst part of this car is its front wheel drive, transverse engine, and automatic transmission. And chryslers dont allow downshifting manually to first...oh well.

I have questions. Im looking to replace the top. Its canvas with a glass window. This material and window are very expensive. I can get a vinyl top with vinyl window for 150 dollars. Give me one reason i shouldnt go cheap on this. And has anyone on ats ever replaced a convertible roof? I do believe i can handle it, and have done some research.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Had quite a few convertibles, never replaced the top.

Window will gather scratches over time, that's about it, I'd think. I don't remember ever having any other problem even in cold weather like you'll see in MI.

Sounds like you wanted a hot rod, did you know that's either an Acura engine, or a direct replacement?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Wanted a hot rod? im not sure what i wanted honestly. But i knew it had to be a drop top
a lot of people have mustangs anyway. Id also considered much more intensive restorations, and compared to those this is easy. I also knew i had to have a functional trunk with the top down.

The sebring definitely has a hotrod esque look to it though. I love the shape of the top...

Acura engine? Really? The 2.5? Thats pretty cool. I like acruas. Its definitely a fun car to drive. Easily hits 110 on the highway and didnt seem like it had any intention to stop accelerating. I didnt have a gps with me and the cluster is glitchy from apparently bad solder joints.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

A friend of mine had this car, replaced with a pretty hi-po Acura engine, and he was really, really happy with it!

I just thought your description of the FWD, transverse etc., sounded like you were a little disappointed that you wouldn't be lighting up the rear tires!

I sure as heck didn't mean to sound derogatory, I hope I didn't. If I could find this car for myself, I definitely would get it for me!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Oh no, not derogatory at all. And i am dissappinted that i wont be lighting up the rear wheels but...do i really want the trouble from the law lol? Im even going to peel the illegal window tint off

Now i cant wait to hit the junkyard...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I can't find a link on the internet for anybody else doing the Acura engine. I know what he told me, I hope it was true!

Hope I gave you right info.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This is a pic of my '07 Mustang....well Shelby GT500 convert....

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

I bought a 2005 conv mustang off my pops.

I absolutely love the girl! Top down cruz'n with the wind blowing threw your hair is one of the greatest rides you are going to get. On a practical note, the top down eliminates most blind spots and provides a far more excellent medium for the views when driving through beautiful terrain. Also any ladies you have will enjoy the extra attention they get when you have the top down, though they may not admit it (its why they complain about the wind messing up their hair as they want to look their best for the attention haha).

Oh wait you wanted a reason to not go cheap on it sorry, no can do. I fully endorse the soft top.

Cheers, congrats, welcome to the club!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Im sure the acura engine is probably true. Anythings possible. I might put a turbo on the sebring.

I love the gt500. Can i borrow it?

Im definitely going to go cheap on the soft top. Definitely plastic window. The tops never going to be up anyway unless its parked. Who cares
i get part of tomorrow off work too, im gonna take it out for a ride.
edit on 8-10-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

top topics

join