It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a SHTF scenario what addiction are you going to be dealing with?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
In a SHTF scenario what addiction are you going to be dealing with?

Scenario: It's a bleak outlook on the news. The economy has tanked and you're fresh out of cigarettes and coffee. No soft drinks or beer are left in the cooler and you're down to your last bags of tea. You're now watching, open jawed, as the news shows rioting as looters ransacking grocery stores across your country. You have enough food for a month or more but all this excitement has your nerves in a twist. All your thinking now is how you would love a drink and a cigarette to deal with the overwhelming depression and stress you're starting to feel.

You check your medicine drawer to see how long your nerve medication prescription will hold out. You find four pills which will get you as many days but what about that fifth day and so on? The drug stores have been cleaned out also and no delivery is planned to restock them due to the rioting.

For some of you none of the above applies. You may not rely on caffeine, nicotine, prescription meds or even alcohol to cope with your daily lives but don't get to smug yet. You'll have to deal with the people that are recently without their addictive provisions. They could have short tempers, unwillingness to cooperate, or maybe mentally wrecked from what's happening all around them. You may not only have to gather your wit. You may find yourself having to deal with many around you that have lost theirs.

My addiction is caffeine. Although I stopped soft drinks completely I still drink coffee daily. When I'm not drinking water I'm sucking down a tea. I'm not looking forward to the headaches and crankiness of suddenly coming off caffeine and even sugar. Although this past year I've been weening myself from these addictive things I do daily, I still have some progress to make.

I also know some addicts to illegal drugs. Maybe you do to. Those are going to be the hardest to deal with. A caffeine addiction isn't anything like dealing with a (illicit drug name here) addiction.

So what's your addiction you may be fighting during a SHTF scenario? It may even be a family member, friend, or even neighbor you will have to deal with.

Oh and by the way try and mind the Terms and Conditions if you're wanting to mention anything illegal. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I think my husband is addicted to football..college and pro. I like football,but dread the intense season when it comes! He schedules weekend events around the game times.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by haven123

Quick and to the point.

A good note is when the SHTF you'll be able to grow it without Johnny Law beating down your door.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Mine would be nicotine and also prescription medication for a mental illness. I'm not sure that I'm actually addicted to the prescription medicine but I know that once I run out I will probably go into a bad psychosis that will probably prevent me from long term survival. But who knows, maybe if the world goes belly up, I will surprise myself!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

HAHAHA! That would be my husband's too

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

This probably sounds stupid but I feel like I'm addicted to loving my wife. I can imagine in a TSHTF scenario, we could easily get torn apart or one of us seriously hurt or killed or kidnapped. Living with her would be the hardest habit to break.
edit on 7-10-2012 by Socrato because: changed 'without' to 'with'

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

I didn't think about that. It would be a disruption to their daily routine causing stress.
People running through the streets screaming " where's my football game!"

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

You never know. You may finally feel free.
We are stronger than we'll ever admit.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

That's not a bit stupid. You tugged at my heart string with that comment. I too would be fearful of anything happening to my wife and family.

edit on 7-10-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Allergy meds.

Asthma control

Trying to control it with vitamin C a more plentiful resource. Never had Allergies before until about 2 years ago and now its ridiculous.

But yeah, that would be my hardship.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I think I'd be addicted to trying to stay alive

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I stopped smoking June 1st, and could do without sodas as I seldom find myself reaching for one. My vice would be sweet tea.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Chocolate and skittles.

And reading.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

I use to be real bad as a child with allergies then I grew out of it, well so I thought. Now in the past few years it's all coming back.

Anyone know of any natural allergy remedies?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

4 days and you will be over your craving and headaches for coffee withdrawal.. Food will be the major one next.. you don't get over that one.. will have to eat wild plants if you saved a printout on what they are.. Don't look too fat or someone will wonder where you have your food stored......

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
It seems I'm not the only one who will be combating a sweet tooth. Sweet tea and Skittles will be the new bartering tool.

"hey man I'll trade some antibiotics for some skittles."

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by hollwd

Good advice. I've thought about that before. When you go out around people dress as dirty as you can and never show them you have food. I hope I never have to live in that time.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Cigarettes.

It is not going to be pretty.
Fair warning everyone. Do not come between a person and their addiction.
I'll turn someone into lampshades over cigarettes.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I've got serious problems with aliens, where they have some sort of "psychic" or something like that in my head that remotely does all sorts of crazy stuff with my body parts. It doesn't let me get to sleep unless I get a certain amount of alcohol each night. If the SHTF, and that stuff doesn't come out of my head, I'm technically screwed royally. Even if it does, hopefully there's not significant alcohol dependence on alcohol after all these years it's been in there, and I can switch from forced daily alcohol usage to something more realistic for a SHTF type scenario.
Lot of problems there...
edit on 7-10-2012 by MegaCurious because: typo

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join