It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wheres Alice? We may need her.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Alice is a testament to what America has lost but may need soon. Alice was born in the early 1900's, dirt poor and part Cherokee Indian in a quiet valley in East Tennessee. She married and had many children, (some lost to various virus infections) She lived on a 120 acre farm, her husband turned to making moonshine while she and her children raised crops and hogs to subsist. Alice could walk out the front door, wring a chickens neck and within 2 hours have the kitchen table piled high with fried chicken,mashed potatoes, green beans,corn, cornbread and a pie in the oven. Her nickname was Al Capone. She helped any that needed it with food and advice. Many a cutthroat feared Alice. Her reputation as a no nonsense, down to earth caring but fiery individual proceeded her. She could stop an argument with a look. You did not mess with Alice or her family. When she spoke,all listened.
The boys grew and built fast cars and ran moonshine. Alice grew a cash crop of tobacco and sugar cane which the family made molasses from ( still do on occasion) The house had no bathroom/shower so baths were taken in an old steel tub until the 1980's when the boys built her a bathroom against her wish's. I remember staying with my grandmother Alice and taking a bath in that steel tub, then going out in the pitch black night to use the outhouse. I was scared to death but look back on it fondly now. Alice raised her children right. not sparing the rod. They became pillars of the community. Alice carried a cricket in a matchbox to tell the weather by. She always had a squirrel in her pocket that only she could tame. She would get the boys to rob a squirrel nest for a baby squirrel, she would raise it and let it go. When she called it it would come running out of the trees into her arms. Alice lived into her 90's and the boys planted a 1 acre plot of tobacco for her to work in just to keep her busy as she never stopped working. The old farm house is still there, fixed up a bit as a testament to her strength and perseverance. She lived long and is sorely missed. I fear that we may need Alice soon. Individuals like her are long gone. Alice represents what America has lost, family values and common sense.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

I completey agree. The Western world has reached its peak unfortunately, not from our perspective, but from TPTB.. We are now in the age of "Zero Growth", they wish to stagnate the west to make it more controlable, for the coming (actively started) global 2000 agenda.

I've spent alot of time lately reading old scholary books about the global cabal, its most unfortuante that they are literally everywhere, at every corner we turn, at every step we take, we have been manipulated in the smartest of ways, which includes SUBVERSION.. Making changes to the people, and yet convincing us it was OUR idea... Take the Travistock institute and the era of the Hippy and '___' for example.

Look at us actively bailing out the banks, when we KNOW they are the sole purpose for this mess in the first place... We blatantly had no choice, I know here in the UK almost every citizen said NO to bailing the banks, and yet they went ahead and done it anyway.

They no longer (if ever) serve us. Each day they are gaining more power over us, and stripping us of more freedoms, some of us are aware, but we are completely out numbered by the sleeping masses..

It will get to a point when we're on curfew , need ID cards to leave your house, and half of us are detained before it dawns on the brain washed "eaters"... and as much I detest using that word, isn't it blooming accurate?

I sincerely hope OWS continues to gain momentum, and spreads across to my shores, because like it or not, we are the only hope.
edit on 7-10-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Very well written,when the shopping malls - (supermarkets) close we will soon see something play
out called the survival of the fittest and survival it may be.....soon.

How many would cope when the sh!t hits the fan having relied on grocery stores and the likes.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Alice doesn't live here anymore.

Sorry, someone had to.

Sounds like I'd have liked Alice a lot.
She, or her like, are still out there to one extent or another.
Few and far between, to be sure.
But they're out there.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Was this based on a real person?

This sounds alot like the stories about my ggrandparents from E.Tennessee....and NC....same lifestyle. Mainly because being paid in scripts (less then a dollar) and buying items marked up way high at the general stores ran by the mining companies enslaved the poor people of the Appalachias........they had to become real savy and beat the system or take a train ticket east.....I lost my ggrandpa in a mining collapse and part of his male family.....people like Alice have to be tough....beautiful story....I loved it.
edit on 7-10-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I appreciated the post ... it was cool and reminded my of strong women in my family. However, I hesitate to see it as a rallying call for fixing all that is wrong with our society. Alice still exists today. She may work in a board room, a warehouse, a shop or at home, rather than the tobacco field, but that doesn't diminish her intelligence, talent or work ethic.

You can criticize that she's sold out to the man, but don't fault women for the capitalistic paradigm through which the world now operates. Women have established their place and evolved just like everyone else.

Nostalgia is a funny thing. You even mentioned that at the time, having to go outside to the outhouse in the pitch black was terrifying but that you look on it fondly now. That's because the mind chooses to do that - remember things better than they were and omit the bad.

Obviously, Alice's life was full of incredible hardship. Her personal manner may have embraced struggle over ease and that's admirable, but only to a point. It's not inherently wrong to make things better, to appreciate adaptation and technology ... while recognizing its limits and potential disadvantages.

As is always the case, maybe some sort of compromise is the best solution: our modern lives, but with a little more austerity and mixed with a return to some of the things we've lost like growing our own food and having the time and inclination to socialize with our family and neighbors and/or our communities.

The past often seems rosier when looking back, but when looking at the full picture, it's rarely the case. Go back fifty years and look at the state of women and other minorities. Look at the lack of medical cures we now have. Look at the successful birth rate and lower average of death. Go back a hundred years in the US and women couldn't vote. Go back two hundred and fifty years and African-Americans were largely enslaved and considered possessions that could be bought and sold ... including children.

While we can appreciate the past and learn from it, progress can never be made by going backwards.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
There is much much more to Alice than i could post here. I could write a great novel on her. 99.99% of women today would smack you if you told them to fix you some chicken and the chicken is running around outside. There will never be another Alice but i have a few aunts that could give it a go.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Alice for president! I wish we had people like her alive today but to bad the fate of our nation relies on the ignorant masses who deny truth and delve into mindless entertainment! When these people can no longer deny
the facts that they are slaves to a global Coup d'état i wonder what kind of actions they will take if any!
When there is no more safety nets will they riot in the streets? Who will they blame when TSHTF? Even though they allowed this all to happen will they blame their representatives, immigration, corporations or each other without any substantiation? When we are all to blame, there are those without the courage to acknowledge this truth! These will be the people that will point their fingers at everyone else! It should not surprise any of us when this happens. We are our own worse enemies, we are the infidels of truth, justice and morality! We are hypocrites who only invoke these beliefs when they suit our needs! Our moralities are inconvienent for our desires and so the hypocrasy of a failing society will subvert the poorest of us until only the rich remain! We have failed to remember the lessons of the past! We have failed in our measure of what is needed to have a prosperous future!
The price for such failure will leave us on the precipice of our own self pitty! Without any such as Alice to take a stand, and so we are without principal, morality, ethics, empathy, courage and honesty so how will we ever take back what we have lost? With only conformity in our veins are we forever doomed to be slaves to the evil which makes a mockery of freedom? I hope not but I do think it may take struggling for decades before we may see the light of those like Alice in the eyes of our brothers and sisters! With the speed at which or world is moving will any of us even be around by then and if we are will we just be mindless automatons?
I only ask the questions but we all need to delve into the possabilities with an open and honest mind because to
deny these questions would only be a denial to ourselves!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nosacrificenofreedom

Amen

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by nosacrificenofreedom
reply to post by jimmiec

Alice for president! I wish we had people like her alive today

She may of not been the 'first lady' but a lady to aspire too none the less..

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Alice is now in wonder land.

You just can dream about her.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

I think I may have seen her yesterday, on a show named "Pit Bulls and Parolees".... There are still a few of her kind around, so don't lose hope.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

Yes, She was my grandmother. She lived in east TN.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

There is a movie I thought you might be interested in watching.
You can visit www.imdb.com to get more info on the movie itself.

It's called "Wild in the Streets" and perhaps watching the movie, might give you some insight
into things not UK.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

JimmieC - A fine fine testament to your Grandmother. Interesting, as earlier today we were discussing the fruits of those same people, and WTH happened-- just 2 or 3 generations later--

I bet there's some of Alice's neighbours in here.. geographical locations aside:

Now will go on to read the remainder of the posts - thanks for sharing, your words were written with much wisdom.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

i couldnt agree with you more. lately this year ive noticed myself more and more stopping and realizing "my thoughts arent my own". when i was younger i felt like an individual, felt like i had the world figured out and maybe im getting dumber, maybe im just getting older, but i feel like a manufactured person, like im not real or something. i feel like im drowning in an ocean, where ill occassionally get a breath of "air" and have clear thoughts, but quickly back into the ocean of a mind controlled brainwashed existance. its like i live for the quick passing material pleasures. its sad i almost wish i wouldnt know, because i feel too stupid to free myself from it, only "smart" enough to occassionally recognize it till the next commercial comes on or the next big "thing" sigh, what does it all mean?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mideast
Alice is now in wonder land.

You just can dream about her.

Yeah. She tried that for awhile. Then, just like the rest of us, she grew out of the "wonderland phase" and used her chicken, green beans, and pie cooking talents, and opened a restaurant. I hear you can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant!

Alice, a true American legend!

edit on 7-10-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

My great grandmother lived like that.. by herself, out in the woods in an old house with no electricity and an outhouse well into the 1980's when she passed away. Just a completely different generation. Amazing how dependent on convenience and fluff we got over such a short period of time.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I remember you wrote about Alice in another thread and I was thinking that you should do a thread. Good for you
Good story.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by honested3
reply to post by Sinny

i couldnt agree with you more. lately this year ive noticed myself more and more stopping and realizing "my thoughts arent my own". when i was younger i felt like an individual, felt like i had the world figured out and maybe im getting dumber, maybe im just getting older, but i feel like a manufactured person, like im not real or something. i feel like im drowning in an ocean, where ill occassionally get a breath of "air" and have clear thoughts, but quickly back into the ocean of a mind controlled brainwashed existance. its like i live for the quick passing material pleasures. its sad i almost wish i wouldnt know, because i feel too stupid to free myself from it, only "smart" enough to occassionally recognize it till the next commercial comes on or the next big "thing" sigh, what does it all mean?

Wow. Did I write this? I've lost all focus on this life, and I blame some of it on my health, but most to the utter lack of faith in TPTB. I have no idea what's going on in politics (and I don't want to know) because we have no grass roots, down-to-earth Alices in government. This Alice sounds like she was clear-headed and stood by her beliefs, her family, and never forgot where her responsibilities and loyalties lie.

This is a good thread.
edit on 10/8/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join