It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacteria Produces Pure Gold

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
How did this thread make front page when there were 2 other older threads on this??
As well as the fact that the headline is completely misleading. It should read, Bacteria that REFINES gold, not produces gold.

Well anyhow props to skywalker for sneaking this in.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OnWhiteMars

www.gizmag.com...

Already happened dude!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by skywalker_

What does that mean? Back to the gold standard?

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Wait...It does not MAKE new gold. It is fed the Gold (in the gold Chloride), and it removes the chlorine from that gold:

a bacteria called Cupriavidus metallidurans gobbles up a toxic liquid chemical called gold chloride and spits out 24k gold in metallic form a week later.

The amount of gold you get OUT of this bacteria is not any more than the gold that goes INTO this bacteria. It may be a novel way of extracting gold from a gold compound, but new gold is not being made.

edit on 10/8/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Alchemy: turn lead to gold.

Bacteria: turn gold compounds to gold.

I see a small difference.
edit on 8-10-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Well I guess we know who'll gather up all this bacteria and surround it like roaches around a crumb.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fylgje
Well I guess we know who'll gather up all this bacteria and surround it like roaches around a crumb.

I'm not sure who you are talking about, but there are other ways of extracting the gold from liquid gold chloride other than using this bacteria. This bacteria may be scientifically interesting, but there is no reason to believe that this bacteria is The BEST way to extract that gold.

...and as said above, this bacteria is NOT making new gold out of non-gold (i.e., this is NOT alchemy). This bacteria only gives the same amount of gold it was fed -- albeit the gold that it was fed was chemically bound to Chlorine.

edit on 10/8/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: sppellling

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
im sure this has come up already, its late at night and i wont read through every post.

but gold chloride is already gold. so this bacteria is changing already existing gold from 1 form to another.
not really creating anything.

i disolve silver all the time into nitric acid. and get a liquid solution called silver nitrate.
ive had friends claim that i am destroying precious silver. but the ions are still there, it just takes another process to bring them back to a solid state.
i have no more or less then began.

granted, a process to turn naturally existing, non solid gold, into a solid form; can be useful if its efficient. but its really no different then mining other already existing gold.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnWhiteMars
Never would have thought of gold as bug crap.
If this indeed is true it is amazing how everything seems to connect in nature. Next we find out that oil is a product of a virus.

Nice find OP!

Oil is a product of fossils such as broken down living organisms, dinosaurs etc, hence the name fossil fuel
. Everything does connect to nature and in a way it is a shame because we take and give nothing back.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join