It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any experience gaining Power of Attorney over alcoholic parent?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I have no advice to give you, but wanted to say how sorry I am that your Dad is so bad off. I commend you for still caring and having the compassion to look after him. I can only imagine what you have been through in dealing with this. Hugs!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by QuestionsEverything

I did read your entire opening post...talk to a lawyer and soon!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuestionsEverything
reply to post by watchitburn

He goes into treatment for 17 days starting next week, would that provide grounds for gaining conservator status?

Not without an attorney.

Have you talked to him about signing over POA to you?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Thanks, gets pretty exasperating at times and emotionally draining but I usually deal with it the way guys do everywhere, bottle it up and lock it away. Thanks again though.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

Yes, we had talked about it briefly during the whole house cleansing process. He was already bristled up and we were already pretty well drained so it got procrastinated until now. He knows he's pretty much up the creek so he might agree, a better chance he's going to throw a fit.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by QuestionsEverything

Keep us posted on how things progress. I wish you much luck.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuestionsEverything
reply to post by riverwild

Yes, we had talked about it briefly during the whole house cleansing process. He was already bristled up and we were already pretty well drained so it got procrastinated until now. He knows he's pretty much up the creek so he might agree, a better chance he's going to throw a fit.

Before you do ANYTHING, you need to do more than just briefly discuss it. Get everyone involved together, and plan to sit down with him in the morning when he is sober. Lay it all on the line. Tell him your concerns, and explain to him that you think that it would be beneficial for him to allow you to help manage his finances and estate while he gets things in order. One of two things will happen.

1. He'll agree, in which case you draw up the legal documentation and get him to sign it willingly,

2. He'll disagree, in which case you have to decide whether to pursue things further, and counter to his wishes.

What you're proposing is forcefully taking away everything that he has. Regardless of whether you approve of his choices or not, any meaningful changes need to be done on his side. Even if he knows it may be the best thing for him, it doesn't mean that he'll accept it willingly, and by pushing forth against his will, you'll just encourage him to fight that much harder. If someone tried to take control of everything that you had, wouldn't you fight it too?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

edit on 1-5-2015 by jemmajo because: replied to wrong post sorry

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: QuestionsEverythinga reply to: QuestionsEverything

Hi there,

My dad has been putting me through all this since I was 10 & im now 35, but he's my dad!!! please ignore the horrible comments by people who say ''he'll only let you down again & again & again".....so what!!!!!!! i know he will but he's your dad, he hasnt murdered or raped anyone he just a guy like my dad who made some crappy mistakes & now needs help.
please please keeep seeking power of attorney im trying the same with my dad in the uk but its such a mindfield, & keep
trying to help him please.

Been at the bottom of a bottle on daily basis must be horrendous, but been at the bottom of that bottle ALONE is
a lonely & dark place

kind regards

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join