It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

September jobs report: Unemployment rate tumbles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Friday's monthly jobs report changed the picture of the U.S. economy in more ways than one, showing the unemployment rate fell to the lowest level in more than three years and hiring was stronger than originally reported throughout the summer.
Unemployment unexpectedly fell to 7.8% in September, down from 8.1%, as a survey of U.S. households showed 873,000 more Americans had jobs compared to a month earlier.

The last time the unemployment rate was that low was in January 2009, the month President Obama was inaugurated.
A separate survey of employers, considered the key metric that Wall Street watches, showed businesses added 114,000 jobs in September. It marked a slowdown in hiring, after July and August were revised significantly higher.
Those revisions added 86,000 more jobs than originally reported in the summer.
Ever since the financial crisis, the monthly jobs report has been the most intensely watched economic indicator, but in election season, attention surrounding the numbers has reached new heights.

source

I think this is not only a good sign for the economy but also shows that Obama s plan is working. As I am traveling across the world at the moment I have been able to talk with many people from different parts of the globe as travelers often do. The US has suffered but it hasn’t been anything comparable to other countries. Everyone I have talked to thus far are hoping for Obamas reelection if for no other reason than he has been good for international relations. It is my hope when I return unemployment numbers will still be declining.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Wow.
Just imagine what could be accomplished
without the House of Reps Tea Party
in charge of how our money is spent.

Let alone blocking every jobs bill they can.
Including the latest block for getting veterans jobs.
So patriotic, those Tea Partiers.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Obama's policies are giving us a slow and steady recovery, which is the best way to recover from a recession.

You don't want a sharp inflated and artificial recovery, that will just mean it will crash again.

Mitt Romney says he doesn't believe the jobs report, big surprise. But all those people who are now working that weren't working 4 years ago will believe it. The fact is that we are in a recovery, we haven't fully recovered, but we are moving forward.

The problem Right Wingers are having today is that they are dissapointed that the American economy isn't crashing, isn't that nice of them?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
That's B.S. Check The U6 it's still over 14%
LINK

Oh yeah, and check the GDP.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The other threads today are showing some evidence of "juicing"...

look 'em up.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatDivider

Is this the same scale Bush used?
edit on 5-10-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

The graph in the linked article says probably so.

Unless they have changed the methods ?

What do you think ?

This graph has a different perspective....

edit on Oct-05-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Originally posted by Grimpachi

The graph in the linked article says probably so.

Unless they have changed to methods ?

What do you think ?

This graph has a different perspective....

Your graph is wrong. Up to Dec of 09 everything is still on the former president's watch everything the new president passes starts after that.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

According to Dems everything bad is still on the former presidents watch...

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I guess by dodging the question that would mean yes.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

September jobs report: Unemployment rate tumbles

Even if 7.8 is a real figure (and I doubt it is) .. that isn't an unemployment rate that 'TUMBLED'.
Talk about loaded partisan language in a headline! A 'TUMBLED' unemployment rate would be if it went down to 5.0% where it normally would be in a healthy economy.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

The government is a joke. Their "statistics" are a joke.

They dont count the people who are no longer looking for work. They also dont count people whose unemployment benefits have run out.

Look around, more people are out of work than ever. We all know it.

The government reports U-3, though even they admit unemployment is closer to U-6 at 15% and if you add in those that have stopped looking, its closer to 22% unemployment.

data.bls.gov...

edit on 5-10-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I can't believe anyone is buying the drop,you expect me to believe that 114,000 jobs created in September was enough to bring the jobless rate from 8.1 to 7.8? cmon guys has common sense flown out the window?

.4% reduction from 114,000 jobs? really? look I have this ocean front property here in Oklahoma I am trying to unload cheap,anyone?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Watching the news on several channels today, the only GOP response is "It's a conspiracy"!!! I think it's hilarious! Especially when people use numbers from the BLS to prove that the BLS's numbers are wrong or "cooked"!

On the positive side, jobs are up, housing is up, purchasing is up... Things are looking up, people! We're not done, by any means, that's why it's so important we keep going in this direction instead of going back to the policies that PUT us here!

edit on 10/5/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by modified device

Originally posted by modified device
you expect me to believe that 114,000 jobs created in September was enough to bring the jobless rate from 8.1 to 7.8?

No. That's not how it works. Read more about it and you might understand. But your disbelief is because of your misunderstanding of how the unemployment number is figured.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Market analyst Karl Denninger's analysis and statistics show that the government's suspicious claims today are ridiculous.

This is rather amusing; +114,000 is fewer than the working-age population growth in the household survey (206,000) and yet unemployment decreased. Huh? The household survey's unadjusted numbers, however, show some rather interesting figures, none of which make sense. "Not in labor force" increased by 386,000 while "employed" increased by 775,000 a net change off "unemployed and looking" of well north of a million people! But -- giving up is not the same thing as finding a job.

Please take a look at his detailed analysis
Source:
market-ticker.org...

Ask yourself this:
After 40 some straight months of unemployment rates ABOVE 8% (and knowing that no incumbent president has ever been reelected with unemployment ABOVE 8%)...isn't it VERY suspicious that government unemployment figures for September UNEXPECTEDLY experience the largest percentage drop (.4 percentage points to just under 8%) in 29 years, just weeks before the election?
edit on 5-10-2012 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

No No !!

It is all Obama's fault.

He and his Hemocrat Congress did it.

The Hems had control of Congress from Jan 2007 until Jan 2011.

It's their fault.

And most of the fiscal 2009 budget and spending was instigated by Obama & Co.

We have gone over all that before.

We know you know that.

Beside, they failed to fix things in 4 years.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

No No !!

It is all Obama's fault.

He and his Hemocrat Congress did it.

The Hems had control of Congress from Jan 2007 until Jan 2011.

It's their fault.

And most of the fiscal 2009 budget and spending was instigated by Obama & Co.

We have gone over all that before.

We know you know that.

Beside, they failed to fix things in 4 years.

You are starting to sound like a parody of yourself. You even have the exclamation marks and over dramatizing to make it sound like sarcasm but you are actually serious. If I were to write what you did, I'd fully expect people to know I was kidding.

- ALL the other guy's fault - Check
- Dismissive nicknames - Check
- Repeating obviously overplayed cliches - Check

I still can't tell if you are just poking fun at yourself.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

edit on 6-10-2012 by dreamingawake because: n/m

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Dude, if you believe that the job rate actually dropped by the biggest amount in 29 years in this economy then I have some beach side property you may be interested in in Israel...

Oh no, surely the books weren't cooked because there's an election coming up and Obama needed some good news after being mistaken by Romney for a mop.

Are people really THAT blind or is the koolaid THAT good?
Whateva man, pass it to the left hand side...gimme some of that whacky tabacky...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join