It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversy: Church pushing amendments 6 and 8 with signs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Are Signs Fair Game?

Diocese throwing weight behind 2 Amendments

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- The Roman Catholic Church is putting its weight behind two controversial amendments you'll see on the ballot this November.

This summer, the Diocese of Palm Beach took a cue from the Florida Conference of Catholic Bishops and urged its 49 parishes, or churches, to push Amendments 6 and 8.

Amendment 6 would require parental notification before a minor can get an abortion.
Amendment 8 would allow churches that provide social services to get taxpayer money.

Signs were up today at Catholic parishes from Palm Beach Gardens to Boca Raton.

"Pro-life is a pillar of the Catholic community," said Dianne Laubert, spokeswoman for the Diocese of Palm Beach. Federal law prohibits non-profits - like churches - from actively backing candidates, but it doesn't bar churches from taking stands on issues.

Not sure if I have this in the right section but was an interesting debate locals are having here in FL. Which poses an interesting question. The church is posting signs to say YES to both propositions 6 and 8. One requires a teen to get parental permission for a termination and the other allows non profits that work in the community (without specifically describing what qualifies a non profit so "Satan worshipers" or "terrorists" could theoretically collect) to collect government (taxpayer) funds.

Wondering what people here on ATS think about this.
Should Churches become this politically engaged?

edit on 5-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Just my opinion here, but I think they have every right to espouse their beliefs on abortion. I mean, everyone else does, right?

But taxpayer money? For what purpose??? They already get off without having to pay into the system, so why in the world should they get taxpayer money for HELPING people. Churches have historically helped members of their congregation for all these years without having to be propped up by the government.

It is interesting to me how the catholic church does NOT want the government to tell them that they have to abide by the laws of this country (the whole healthcare/birth control thing), but they sure want that government money...

Like I said, just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I agree. If a minor must get parental permission before getting a filling or any other procedure, then abortion should not be any different.

Churches should not get taxpayer funds. Period.

(OTOH, many charitible organizations from HFH to Planned Parenthood should not get taxpayer funds either, IMHO.)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
they should be able to voice their views on abortion because i am able to but i don't see why they should be stopped from getting tax money for helping others. Other non-profits do not pay taxes,help people and get donations from people.

new topics

top topics

join