It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Play Warcraft? - You're a freak according to the Republicans in Maine...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

The gaming hobby of a political candidate has become an issue in a state senate race in New England, US.

Maine Republicans have created a webpage revealing that Democrat candidate Colleen Lachowicz plays an orc rogue in World of Warcraft (WoW).

Ms Lachowicz's liking for back-stabbing and poison in WoW raise questions about her "fitness for office", they claim.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Sorry, but that's just ludicrous.

At the height of its powers, over 10 million people played WOW - even now it stands at about 8 million.

Since when does someones video game character make them unfit for office?

Isn't it about time people started talking about...oh I dunno... politics instead of just coming up with crassly stupid ways to try and smear people?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
You would think politics would be important to someone running for political office...however...more and more people would rather use personal agendas or digging into the personal lives of the competition (this is a petty new low) to swing votes one way or the other.

Sad....sad....sad.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
thats crazy. it's like saying someone enjoys sci-fi so they have unrealistic views on the world, or someone likes war movies so they must be a violent person.
politics has been mostly a joke for a long time now and i can't see it changing ever, just going to get worse.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

What about Warcraft 3 ??
And Command and Conquer before EA bought Westwood..

I'm old school.

Oh and politics is stupid all around. Don't get sucked into their silly game.. Wasting time talking to anyone who believes in parties... Kinda like college actually.. 'My party was soo awesome.." "Oh yea My party WAS So much better than yours." "Dude, we had a keg." "nah man, it's all about the ladies..."

On and on, and no one says anything real..

I feel like I am in kindergarten talking to any of these people. Grow the F up. NOW.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

It's nothing a good dose of term limits and about 6 years of time for elections to cover them all won't fix. We're still saddled with a generation of....well.. fuddy duddys. To use a term no one hears much anymore. It's sure accurate though and the "Greatest Generation" mindset that has generally ruled the GOP as a party has to get with the program or get deprogrammed and replaced. It doesn't much matter to me which...but this kind of nonsense can't stand many more years before they've lost generations worth of voters to attitudes that were 'old' 10-15 years ago.

...Oh, and it's a shame I don't play WoW...It's the one major MMORPG I never got into. Imagine that.... a righty like me....A gamer. What would the idiots in Maine say? I'd have loved to run into a Democrat Candidate in that setting though. Sounds like fun. lol... Who would have thought people at that level had time?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I have 6 top level toons on WoW, plus countless lower level alts. If they are kicking up a fuss about a polly playing one toon, they must think I am the equivalent of Charles Manson.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Ms Lachowicz's liking for back-stabbing and poison in WoW raise questions about her "fitness for office", they claim.

www.bbc.co.uk...

I don't think that today's version of politicia is prepared for people's private lives (in ANY scenario) to be acceptable.

in the FUTURE... when we're all chill with one another and can get the F@#$ along.. and look into one another with square and reasonable approach.. SURE!

but TODAY????

I don't understand why you're so appalled bu this news.

you KNOW that if Obama was caught playing as a Fairy-Knight on WOW or whatever the media would blow it up into some hooplah and expose it as some pathetic weak nerdy guy in his mom's basement -not suitable to lead the free world type thing...

how can you be surprised at this news report?

in the future .. someday.. well be able to do these things and not be oddly-eyed with skepticism and fear and scarcity and anxiety....
someday wed be able to play MMORPGS and lead a community simultaneously... (both virtual and reality)..

but NOW?

the media circus is a shark feeding frenzy and anything especially the WEAK (ie: nerdy video games) are PREYED upon...

how could you be so naive to not expect this in today's world?

it's a freaking GIVEN.

have patience....

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
A person who plays a video game makes them unfit for office but a person who in real life ruins companies and peoples lives is fit for office. Republican logic is such a failure. And why are they so scared about her learning backstabbing techniques afraid she may start to understand the Republican political process?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
in today's world NOT playing video game or MMO is almost a FREAK.

i guess from what they say pretty much everyone born in the 70's (who really started with video games in the 80's) and up is a freak with a few exceptions.
so that's about 40 years worth of people are freaks according to that. guess the "freaks" will be taking over, as the non freaks (pretty much the elderly) die off.

guess that's dog poo in that mudball they slung. i'm still laughing at such a pitiful attack, guess they couldn't find anything better to toss

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
thats crazy. it's like saying someone enjoys sci-fi so they have unrealistic views on the world, or someone likes war movies so they must be a violent person.
politics has been mostly a joke for a long time now and i can't see it changing ever, just going to get worse.

yes it IS CRAZY.

but if you haven't understood the world as BEING CRAZY, then you lack a little bit of sanity YOURSELF!

promoting war movies ie: Swarzenegger, Reagan et al.. is at the heart of the conservative defense-league movement...

spotlighting people who are 'different' as "WACKOS" ( MMORPG players.. sci-fi buffs.. UFO fans.. CONSPIRACY THEORISTS_ ....)

is BAD news in the press.. it doesn't hold up in the lowest common denominator.. it doesn't hold up in the press.. it doesn't hold up in common sense in this day and age and you're INSANE.. (there's something WRONG with yourt world view if you don't perceive these things and then PERSIST in your stride and are confused at your lack of success)...

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
cant believe I''m explaining this all to you.

I feel like I'm at a group meeting for the socially inept.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by generik
in today's world NOT playing video game or MMO is almost a FREAK.

i guess from what they say pretty much everyone born in the 70's (who really started with video games in the 80's) and up is a freak with a few exceptions.
so that's about 40 years worth of people are freaks according to that. guess the "freaks" will be taking over, as the non freaks (pretty much the elderly) die off.

guess that's dog poo in that mudball they slung. i'm still laughing at such a pitiful attack, guess they couldn't find anything better to toss

they're not 'taking over' they're being pacified and distracted by pixels on a screen.
believe me.. i make the games they play.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Ahhhh, I was a human mage and I absolutely HATED rogues, couldnt do crap against them.
And that story is ridiculous, the stuff people try to dig up on others is nutz

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

they're not 'taking over' they're being pacified and distracted by pixels on a screen.
believe me.. i make the games they play.

The Digital ones... Haha...

It's all GAME.

different levels (consciousness), but it's all game.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Maine is traditionally a conservative state with a strong military industrial complex. They have WW2 era ship building and submarine facilities along their coastlines. Apparently there will be no more Olympia Snowe (senior republican Senator) as she is retiring this year.

ATS is a big place and many don't have the time to Google the esoteric details for these threads.
Looks like Colleen Lachowicz may end as the new "Wicked Wench"?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
GOP should change their acronym to GOD (Grand Old Disenfranchisers).
It's a win win since they can emblazon their favorite bully tool on every banner and button. Plus, think how good those attack ads will look "Paid for by GOD".

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Since when does someones video game character make them unfit for office?

It doesn't, but the things she has been saying online do.
"I can kill stuff without going to jail."
"Do not send me a campaign contribution or I will have to stab you! Seriously!"
"I like to stab things and I'm originally from NJ....what's your f*ing point?!"
Things like that are nowhere near acceptable from people who are in the public spotlight. Personally, I could care less, but we all know the masses will have a fit at the first sight of it.

Completely unrelated, but from the linked article:

Gaming researcher Ladan Cockshut

...What an amusing name

edit on 5-10-2012 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

raise questions about her "fitness for office", they claim.

lol. MMORPG people are probably the most sane people on this planet.

This is because many MMORPGs allow people to let go of all of their day's build up of anger in the office in a virtual world shoot-out.

Isn't it about time people started talking about...oh I dunno... politics instead of just coming up with crassly stupid ways to try and smear people?

Its crazy politicians that seem eager to turn this whole world into a real world war(craft) that should be locked up.

They really are turning into a bunch of winy bitches.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
BBC covered this and yet the American press didn't say anything?? Odd. Anyways .. here is the link to what the BBC says the Republicans did.
I get nothing when I click on the link. So I can't comment on what was supposedly said there.

According to the article, the Republicans also showed what the Democrat had posted at a DAILY KOS (left wing) discussion site. I think that is totally acceptable to do. Democrat or Republican .. if you say it, you own it.

IF the Republicans really did say something against a candidate because they played warcraft .. that could easily backfire on them. It's a really strange thing to get uptight over. But like I said .. I couldn't get the link to show what they were talking about so I can't fully comment ...

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Female Orc fine; however if it's a female, pink-haired, twinked-up gnome rogue, who ganks then laughs at you, then vanishes in WG; then yes, she is indeed a freak and unfit for office.

edit on 5-10-2012 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join