It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Oil for Food Probe Includes Annan's Son

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The Justice Departments criminal probe in the United Nations Oil for Food program are now focusing on Kofi Annans son, Kojo, in addition to others, including one American.. Kojo, was employed by Cotecna, a Swiss firm, which monitored food and medicine shipments into Iraq during the program.

www.foxnews.com
NEW YORK The Justice Department criminal probe into the U.N. Oil-for-Food program is focusing on several individuals, among them U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan"s son, FOX News has learned.

Kojo Annan, the secretary-generals son, was employed by a U.N. contractor that monitored food and medicine shipments that were flowing into Iraq as part of the multibillion-dollar program created in late 1996.

The Oil-for-Food program is now being probed by the Justice Department and Congress as a boondoggle that enriched Saddam Hussein and others. A report delivered last week by Charles Duelfer found that Saddam was able to "subvert" the $60 billion U.N. Oil-for-Food program to generate an estimated $1.7 billion in revenue outside U.N. control from 1997-2003.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The company which had received the contract just prior his leaving it has stated that he had nothing to do with the United nations contract. This was also mentioned by his father, the U.N. Secretary General, at a news conference earlier in the year. The Justice Department is but one of the many organizations, including the U.S. House and Senate, and the U.N. that is investigating the failed program. Kojo thus far has been unavailable for comment

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: U.N. Oil For Food Scandal Grows. Possibly the Largest in Human History.

[edit on 10/18/04 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I just have to wonder, is this the only one? Obviously this particular program is getting attention due to what is occuring in the world right now.

What about all of the other programs administered by the UN. I would bet you would find a lot of similar activities taking place if you probed them all.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
What about all of the other programs administered by the UN. I would bet you would find a lot of similar activities taking place if you probed them all.

Intersting thought. I think that with any large scale Human endevour involving a huge amount of money, corruption is inevitable IMHO. I suspect, and as we have found, the UN is no more immune than say the U.S. government.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Kojo thus far has been unavailable for comment

In other words, he's in hiding?

I'm not sure that there are very many "good guys" in this whole affair, whether they be American, European or African.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
It's always nice to see how involved the world's "moral police" are in ripping off children. Money that was supposed to go to medicine and food supplies went where? And these are the people who are supposed to be taken seriously as the international "community"? That's funny.

People in glass houses...

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The UN is a laughable attempt at global governance. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in general, but I think this just adds to the evidence that as a people we are not ready for such a complex and powerful organization. There's far too much corruption left in the world, and people are still too shallow. We can't even get one single country to act right, nonetheless an organization composed of almost 200 corrupt nations lol.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I saw on TV just a few minutes ago, that they are predicting
the price of oil to go up to $75 dollars a barrel.
Does that convert to more OR less food?
It's a pretty sick world we live in where some gooey stuff out
of the ground is more important than feeding hungry people
in the world, and yes, I am including the good ol' US of A.
ZOOMER

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Is this how Iraq got money to buy all that oil equipment from Cheney's Halliburton while he was in charge?

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by veritas93
In other words, he's in hiding?

No there are plenty of bad apples around for sure. I don't know if he is in hiding. However, none, the last time I checked, of the major news services have been able to get any comments from him.

FredT

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

However, none, the last time I checked, of the major news services have been able to get any comments from him.

FredT

It doesn't seem as though he should be this reluctant to comment. He's certainly not alone in this embarrassing ordeal.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by veritas93
It doesn't seem as though he should be this reluctant to comment. He's certainly not alone in this embarrassing ordeal.

You never know. Maybe he feels he needs to protect his father? The company is adamant that he had nothing to do with the contract, but it does seem funny.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   
The "oil-for-food" scandal seems to be worse than anyone anticipated. I stumbled upon an amazing statement directly from the UN website, in which it states that "UNMOVIC was being funded directly from a small amount of money that came from the oil-for-food programme."

I would call that a motive for UNMOVIC saying in their report that there were no wmd at all in Iraq...but I could be wrong......

The 1999 UNSCOM report stated that there were tons of unnacounted for wmd in Iraq, and this commission was not being financed by the oil-for-food program, unlike UNMOVIC...

Here is an excerpt from the UN website.

The Commission is financed from a small portion of the monies raised from the export of oil from Iraq (the oil-for-food programme). Unlike its predecessor, UNSCOM, the staff of UNMOVIC are employees of the United Nations.

Excerpted from.
www.unmovic.org...

And of course there is also the evidence that France, Russia, China and some other countries were profiting from the oil-for-food programme....some of the countries that were against ousting Saddam....

At the time it was felt that their main motivation was to protect their lucrative trade ties with Baghdad. In late 2002, Saddam still owed the Russians some $10 billion, mainly for illegal arms deals. France came next in the trade rankings.

Excerpted from.
www.telegraph.co.uk.../opinion/2004/10/10/do1001.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2004/10/10/ixopinion.html

[edit on 18-10-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Well, I happened to catch Breaking Point (Fox News) last night and the link to Annan's Son and the amount Saddam might have made from this seems to be the least of it.

France, Russia and China apparently had Billions diverted to them and made more than that. There is also the possibility that the man at the UN directly responsible for the oversight of the program may have profited, but it doesn't end there.

It seems Saddam's goal was definately to corrupt the UN Security Council specifically to get sanctions lifted and/or veto the US in any action against the Iraq. Of course, everyone is denying doing anything illegal, but it just went on and on.

I am under the impression that what was being reported can be confirmed by the Duelfer Report and hope to have time to read it myself this evening. Meanwhile, it is available at Fox News at the moment if anyone else has
time to check it out.

www.foxnews.com...

The links to the actual report are at the bottom of the article and it is split into 3 pdf's, so I presume it's huge.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Can we send the UN the bill for investigating their blatant mismanagement of this program to the un people who are griping that we aren't giving them enough money for aids as this years contribution.

As far as the fraud and bribery that is going on in the UN, well, I'd be more concerned with our own elected officials and their fraud, and briberies. If we can't get a handle on that, how are we going to do much with the un? Maybe we should just hold onto our money, and have our own programs to help out the other countries, and just pull out?

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
France, Russia and China apparently had Billions diverted to them and made more than that.

It seems Saddam's goal was definately to corrupt the UN Security Council specifically to get sanctions lifted and/or veto the US in any action against the Iraq.

This mess is absolute proof that the UN should be entrusted to ensure United States Security

As the Iraqi picture continues to unfold, it is apparent Saddam destroyed his WMD's, or at the least spirited them out of country. Saddam wished to placate the UN inspectors, get them off his back, so he could renew his quest to produce WMD's and obtain nuclear weapons.

The whole of the UN is corrupt, and George Bush had the guts to stand up to them, period!!

Further, the blood of U.S., British, Polish, Australian, and many other combat troops, along with numerous civilians, Iraqi and otherwise, lies squarely upon the corrupt leaders in France, Germany, China, Russia, and the UN participants who were in bed with the Iraqi Madman Saddam.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
Is this how Iraq got money to buy all that oil equipment from Cheney's Halliburton while he was in charge?

No, that's how Russia, China, France and some other countries, not the US, got money from Saddam........together with the UN employees working on the UNMOVIC commission..... No wonder their report was so different from the UNSCOM commission.....

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
What i wonder is why this isn't reported more on the news....and why they haven't mentioned that UNMOVIC was being paid off with part of the money from the oil-for-food programme....this evidence makes it highly provable that the UNMOVIC commission at the least knew about the illegal deals, at the worse they were bought off to say that Saddam had no wmd programes....

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by smokenmirrors

As the Iraqi picture continues to unfold, it is apparent Saddam destroyed his WMD's, or at the least spirited them out of country. Saddam wished to placate the UN inspectors, get them off his back, so he could renew his quest to produce WMD's and obtain nuclear weapons.

The whole of the UN is corrupt, and George Bush had the guts to stand up to them, period!!

Actually, the gyst I got from the show was that they had these countries who had full veto power against us lined up to lift the sanctions, and the contracts in place to flat out take off in a heartbeat on their weapons program soon as they were.

Unfortunately, I still haven't had time to read the repots, if nothing is developed in the media I will try to do it by the weekend.

top topics

join