It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hair color when TSHTF.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

In a situation where everything falls to pieces, I think us older ones will be the bridge that gaps the chasm, because we know, and we remember how, and why.

yes 1 agrees FissionSurplus

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

“Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill”

-Unknown Eldery Sage.

That's right, come a little closer, sonny, I'm just a grey haired old man.

*Whack!*

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

i disagree w/ you an assume you are under 30 as am i . but if i find an older guy or gal i will befreind them as thay most likely know much more then me .

it would be a shame to squander something as valuable as knowledge/wisdom/ intel
truth

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

In a situation where everything falls to pieces, I think us older ones will be the bridge that gaps the chasm, because we know, and we remember how, and why.

yes 1 agrees FissionSurplus

Well, we remember, but will the younger folk allow us to live long enough to show them?

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon

“Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill”

-Unknown Eldery Sage.

That's right, come a little closer, sonny, I'm just a grey haired old man.

*Whack!*

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

I love that. Reminds me of an old Star Trek show with the old man playing a banjo.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

If all you're worried about is hair color in a survival situation you've got problems....We're all going to look and small like crap when the 30 day supply of personal hygiene products runs out..

I'm greying and proud of it... If I go all grey I'll let my hair grow long and shaggy if the SHTF. The crazier I look the better

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I think you miss the point.
I am not worried about how grey hair looks.
I am asking for opinions about whether or not grey hair is a death sentence when TSHTF.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I would want my 89 year old grandmother with me for sure. She lived in a home that didn't have plumbing or electricity till 1988 and she hunted and gardened for food for years. This knowledge that she has would only be helpful and quite possibly the difference between life and death in certain scenarios.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by shadwgirl

No plumbing till 1988!?! I would love to meet her. She must be such an interesting person. Wow, that is something, I agree with you, your Grandmother would be a benefit 110%.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

NO. Because everyone else who colors their hair will show their true colors as well and if people will take the risk to loot their local Walgreens, hair dye will not be on the top of their list of dire needs. Hair color won't mean a damn thing and for most people those grey hairs mean wisdom!
It's just not going to matter in the grand scheme.

As for safety and security of the grey haired folks... I know plenty of greys who know how to handle a wide variety of firearms... The people who need to be worried in a TEOTWAWKI are those who are overweight and appear to be eating plenty of cached food. Follow the heavies to their personal hideaway...

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
wear a hat?

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I used to dye my hair, until I found out what was in that stuff. For instance, Grecian Fomula contains lead acetate. Getting rid of gray is not worth absorbing lead through your scalp.

Although, I will admit, after a few tequillas last night I think I agreed to let an ex-girlfriend dye my hair to a Reed Richards look. It sounded good at the time, but she was matching me with shots of Captain Morgan, so hopefully she won't remember.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadwgirl
I would want my 89 year old grandmother with me for sure. She lived in a home that didn't have plumbing or electricity till 1988 and she hunted and gardened for food for years. This knowledge that she has would only be helpful and quite possibly the difference between life and death in certain scenarios.

I have been reading the Foxfire books. Those old people really knew how to live on the land! I would love a grandmother ( or even a neighbor) like that.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
The people who need to be worried in a TEOTWAWKI are those who are overweight and appear to be eating plenty of cached food. Follow the heavies to their personal hideaway...

Ha Ha Ha. You got that right.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by NotThat

If all you're worried about is hair color in a survival situation you've got problems....We're all going to look and small like crap when the 30 day supply of personal hygiene products runs out..

I'm greying and proud of it... If I go all grey I'll let my hair grow long and shaggy if the SHTF. The crazier I look the better

LMAO! Awesome. You sound like my husband.

Originally posted by NotThat

Will people discount grey elders or refuse to help them (as useless eaters)?

Will people see grey haired elders as holding possible knowledge about survival such as gardening skills or food preserving skills?

Interesting thoughts for when TSHTF.

Looks can be deceiving. When I look at an older person, I tend to wonder what they know and how much. That person can be a valuable member for that situation just as much as a younger person. I think it all comes down to what you know, how you react, and what you can provide for the group, no matter the age/hair color.

My husbands long time childhood friend's father (who is in his 50's) is an incredibly intelligent man who is very handy with everything. He used to be a mechanic but does a lot of side work now. He also takes a lot of time trying to study survival techniques just in case. He has books on our areas flora and fauna and has guns and knows how to hunt. Yes he is grey and a little bald on top, but he would still be a valuable person to have on your side.

So to answer you questions, I don't know how others would see older or greyish haired folk, but I wouldn't judge and I certainly wouldn't turn them away based on that.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

My husbands long time childhood friend's father (who is in his 50's) is an incredibly intelligent man who is very handy with everything. He used to be a mechanic but does a lot of side work now. He also takes a lot of time trying to study survival techniques just in case. He has books on our areas flora and fauna and has guns and knows how to hunt. Yes he is grey and a little bald on top, but he would still be a valuable person to have on your side.

I think there are a lot of people in their 50s and 60s who are prepping. Perhaps they just have more money than younger people.

When the government has TV ads about bugout bags it is a good idea to take the possibility of widespread disaster pretty seriously.

The gray haired people are going to have stored food.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Like the OP, I've been going gray since my early 20's (my dad pulled the first gray out of my hair when I was 8). Both of my parents were gray early so I always expected to be.

There are different possible SHTF scenarios and I can certainly imagine some still wanting to color their hair particularly if/as things improve.

People have been coloring their hair for centuries. Cleopatra was quite famous for it. Found a great link that has several suggestions. Might be good info to have even if you're not gray, I'm sure there will be a way to barter the knowledge.

www.motherearthnews.com...

Even you non-gray youngsters might want to take a look because things might not fall apart as quickly as you think and before you know it... you'll be one of those gray haired old people
(Has a way of really sneaking up on you).

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I guess I'm one of the few "weird" women in the world who has never dyed her hair. My thought has always been that my hair color is like my skin color or eye color. Its color doesn't matter, because it doesn't define me or who I am. What you see is what you get... 100% real. I have the occasional grey strand or two, but I've been blessed so far with long (waist length) dark brown hair with little greying.

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
There's TOO many grey wrinkley's out there at the moment, succling on the 'teat' of the system.........

Those baby boomers will have what's coming to them if their grey hair is revealed.....!!

Revenge of the younger generation................

Yeah, you can't have those useless grey wrinklies sucking off you. /sarcasm

If it all hits the fan, I can pretty much guarantee that this old bird is probably better stocked and prepared than 99.99% of the population. She has prepared emergency plans, supplies, and real survival skills. Like many of her older generation sisters, she knows how to cook, sew, garden, etc. Unlike many others though, she's a military vet who earned her marksmanship medals, ans she maintains a formidable arsenal of weapons to protect her home and family. If you try to take her out and manage to escape with only a few holes in your ass, I wish you well because the only available surgeon in the area is... you guessed it... me.

Advantage of the older, more experienced generation.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Personally I'd rather be in a group of 'grey hairs' as you put it. I'd bet they have much more useful experience that they could pass on to me than someone who grew up in this generation.

Farming, animal husbandry, botany, carpentry these are skills that older people are more likely to have.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Us grayhairs will win out compared to everyone else. You whippersnappers will spend at least the first couple months staring at your I-phones, waiting for them to work again, and wondering if you've been un-friended by all 2352 of your BFFs.

I'm old enough to remember NO TEEVEE and I have every single copy of Whole Earth Catalog ever printed. And actual books to read and to learn from. Compared to you smooth skinned dark heads, we're walking encyclopedias.

No contest.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join