It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record Number of Homosexuals Running for Congress

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think it is probably more a case of "Record number of people feeling safe enough to publicly admit they are gay" than the actual headline.

What the extremist minds tend to not consider is how many closeted homosexuals have served in the past. There are many very famous people from the history of American politics who are now believed to have been gay. And, oddly, some of them were known publicly as homophobes.

~cough~ ~cough~ J Edgar Hoover ~cough~

~Heff
edit on 10/3/12 by Hefficide because: Use of tense issue - changed for clarity

That seems to be the most logical explanation, I think we probably already have had at least one gay president we just didn`t know it. we had one president who was never married i think he was probably gay.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Just a point. Have you noticed how the wives of politicians are scrutinized under a microscope? (not so much husbands).
reply to post by Annee

The husbands do tend to get scrutinized but only if they are big shots in some field. The only scrutiny that the spouse needs is to determine if they are in positions to compromise their spouses position. The scrutiny that we get comes from the media which we can plainly see has agendas. The public loves a good scandal and if the media can facilitate one they will. So perhaps the media needs to learn where the line is don't ya think?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I don't care about race, sexual orientation, gender, etc. Humanity is a wonderful collage. What I wonder though is if people on the Right qualify as human anymore....
edit on 3-10-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13

Just a point. Have you noticed how the wives of politicians are scrutinized under a microscope? (not so much husbands).
reply to post by Annee

The husbands do tend to get scrutinized but only if they are big shots in some field. The only scrutiny that the spouse needs is to determine if they are in positions to compromise their spouses position. The scrutiny that we get comes from the media which we can plainly see has agendas. The public loves a good scandal and if the media can facilitate one they will. So perhaps the media needs to learn where the line is don't ya think?

Yeah! I really meant knowing someone is gay is not the issue. I think its perfectly fine to know someone is gay - - because scrutinies of spouse are going to come up. By media or whoever.

There is nothing wrong with saying: "Hey! I'm gay". Those who have a problem with someone saying they are gay - - - need to get over it. Its kind of like - - I'm pseudo OK with gay - - just don't tell me about it.

When the guy shows up with his same-sex spouse - - - you're not going to notice? We just aren't that evolved yet.

OTHERS - - making an issue of it is the big problem.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Hell I bet you even some conservatives would support somebody gay who didn't rail on the issues, did their job and went home without falling into the left vs right social paradigm trap.

~Tenth

Perhaps but I'm betting most conservatives think like spooky does.

Easy now FF....I said MOST not all...
edit on 3-10-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

So people aren't entitled to their opinions? My way isn't your way nor yours mine. So telling that you want to view those of us on the right as less then people because we don't agree with your world view
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Nietzsche Such thinking is so common place on the left, who want to judge others but get very testy about being judged themselves. Like I said above in a post the media so loves to stir the pot about what should be non-issues of a candidate. Qualifications that matter get swept under the rug and instead we get this popularity BS or what the person said or did when they were in college. But the masses eat this garbage up and ask for more!

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Hell I bet you even some conservatives would support somebody gay who didn't rail on the issues, did their job and went home without falling into the left vs right social paradigm trap.
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Wow that is such a crock of offal. Hell ya I would vote for someone who actually was the perfect fit for the job regardless of sexual orientation or religious belief. I've heard crap from liberals about Romney being Mormon, so what he is Mormon? Don't act as if it just a conservative issue discriminating against people. It's very intellectually dishonest. Since we are all human we all have our prejudices, and last I checked there wasn't no evolutionary jump for liberals to make them more then human.

edit on 3-10-2012 by hangedman13 because: clairification

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I've heard crap from liberals about Romney being Mormon, so what he is Mormon? Don't act as if it just a conservative issue discriminating against people.

Most of the crap I've heard about Romney being Mormon came from the Christian Fundamentalist rightwingers that think
Mormonism is a cult.

But you are right about being judged by what you did in college. My friends won't let it go and I'm almost 60.
And they still call me "Donuts"
edit on 3-10-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

I've heard crap from liberals about Romney being Mormon, so what he is Mormon? Don't act as if it just a conservative issue discriminating against people.

Most of the crap I've heard about Romney being Mormon came from the Christian Fundamentalist right that think
Mormonism is a cult.

I was Mormon for 5 years. I officially resigned because of their involvement in Prop8.

However - - - ignorance of Mormonism is insulting.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Woah Meow.

Wow that is such a crock of offal. Hell ya I would vote for someone who actually was the perfect fit for the job regardless of sexual orientation or religious belief. I've heard crap from liberals about Romney being Mormon, so what he is Mormon? Don't act as if it just a conservative issue discriminating against people. It's very intellectually dishonest. Since we are all human we all have our prejudices, and last I checked there wasn't no evolutionary jump for liberals to make them more then human.

I didn't mention liberals because LIberals tend to not care about your sexual orientation. Conservatives are more likely to have an issue because of religion, or social acceptance. I never suggested the issue was a conservative one only.

I was speaking merely about sexual orientation, which is largely, a conservative draw back to electing representatives.

I was not putting any more emphasis on one than the other.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join