It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's Executive Orders (Debunked)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I have seen several posts regarding Obama's executive orders. I believe this disinformation is originating from a viral e-mail going around. Excerpt here:

There have been over 900 Executive Orders put forth from Obama, and he is not even through his first term yet. He is creating a martial law ‘Disney Land’ of control covering everything imaginable. Some of the executive orders he has signed recently have been exposed thanks to ‘Friends of Conservative Action Alerts.’ They have compiled a choice list of ‘Emergency Powers, Martial law executive orders’: Get your headache medication out while you still can without a prescription.

When a co-worker of mine started freaking out over this e-mail, it immediately set off some red flags. I already knew that the numbers for our last few presidents were way too low (by hundreds), and it sounded fishy to me. With a quick internet search on my phone, I was able to prove my point.

factcheck.org...

Q: Has President Barack Obama signed 900 executive orders, some of which create martial law?

A: No. Obama’s executive orders do not create martial law. And so far he has signed 139 executive orders — not 900.

The full analysis is on the link above, going over the e-mail point by point. Every single thing can be verified at other sites, and was a very well done analysis. I just wanted to bring this to the attention of those freaking out that the sky is falling when there is absolutely nothing valid about that e-mail. I would think by now people would learn to distrust viral e-mails. Apparently, not. Anyway, I hope this information is helpful to some.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

it is even better to go to the source of the GOV to see how many and what kind EO's are made here is the link www.whitehouse.gov... if you have problems getting to the EO's here is that link www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
That is exactly what I meant by "other sites". I felt that particuliar article addressed the issues with the specific e-mail in question. The sites you have linked are exactly how a person should be verifying it (aka go to the original source, not someone's interpretation of it).

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
You bring up a good point.

I created a Thread here a few months ago. Discussing Obama's executive orders.
I referenced a thread I had seen earlier stating Obama had signed over 600 EOs. After being corrected by another member and doing some more research on my own, I realized my mistake.

It was a good reminder for me not to accept something just because it fits into my dislike for Obama. Not that Romney will be any better.

Hopefully others can learn from my mistake as well.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

That is exactly what happened with the co-worker. He doesn't approve of Obama what so ever, so he was so excited to share "the facts" with me about this e-mail. Thanks to ATS, specifically your very post watchitburn, I was prepared to put the smack down with debating him. The Bush and Clinton numbers were what alerted me that it was completely bogus - I had a very hard time accepting they were that low.

So, once again ATS rules the day, fighting disinformation at the workplace!

join