It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 6 Killed in Arizona as SUV flees Deputies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:41 AM
link   
A stolen SUV, which the police believe was filled with illegal immigrants , accelerated away from police and through a busy intersection near an Army post in Cochise County on Saturday. The truck caused an 11-car pile up killing six and critically injuring 15, officials said.

story.news.yahoo.com

Passengers were thrown from the truck as it struck a center median and began to spiral, hitting vehicles waiting at a turn lane, Deputy Chief Randy Redmond of the Sierra Vista Fire Department said. Investigators think the truck was traveling at about 90 mph when it lost control near Fort Huachuca in southeastern Arizona, he said.

At least 20 people were in the truck, Redmond said.

"This is the worst multiple fatality accident I"ve been on," Redmond said. "To have people pinned, the huge language barrier, it was really a horrible, horrible scene."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The impact of the truck tore the roofs of some vehicles and trapped others inside their cars.Cochise County police believe the truck was carrying illegal immigrants. Five people died at the scene, two were flown to hospitals, and twenty were driven to the hospital in ambulances. Authorities then spotted the truck speeding north on State Route 90. Sierra Vista police officers used tire deflation devices, said Frank Valenzuela, a spokesman for the Public Safety Department.

The vehicle had been reported stolen in Phoenix.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
That sounds like an horrific crash.

I hope the police were following correct guidance when they deployed the devices to burst the tyres. Don't get me wrong, the driver was responsible for the situation, but deflating the tyres of a vehicle doing 90 is bound to cause a crash.

I've the vehicle would have crashed sooner or later anyway at these speeds.

new topics

join