It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My son wants to be a cop...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
You need to straighten the kid out real fast before he turns into a roid rage homicidal maniac with a badge.

Discourage
Discourage
Discourage

That's all I got to say

Sounds like you've had a bad experience before.....

Either that or you just have a thing for authority figures.

It's not fair to the profession to lump ALL cops into one category.
Yes, there are bad cops but if you break down the percentage, it's low compared to the total number of law enforcement in our country.

Also small town cops don't have to endure the high crime that goes with a big city.
Therefore, not much scandal.

So in that respect, I personally can not bad mouth all cops like you can.
Until I walk in their shoes and see what they deal with, I can't sit in judgement of them.

And yet at the same time, I respect your feelings too, even though it seems a little harsh IMO.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Yikes....I would sure be concerned if my child wanted to become a cop.......hopefully he will consider other options in college.....that's usually a time of growth and reflection, and he may change his mind.

If that doesn't work maybe you will get lucky and he's too nice of a person to pass what I have come to call the "sadistist potential" tests to get in.....I don't believe they are interested in recruiting kind and honest people...and your son sounds like a nice kid....good luck.....

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
To the forum, I offer my apologies for the fight I just had.

I am sorry.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBit111
reply to post by TechVampyre

Thats exactly what I'm afraid of. All the stress and trying to help people and probably being very unappreciated. I don;t want that life for him.

What's sad is a stranger that doesn't know you or your son and already bad mouthing him, well his choice of being a cop, because of a profession that HE [your son] believes in.

Now that's pitiful.

I can't imagine the chaos and turmoil in our country with no law and order.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
As the son of a gulf war vet and a life long police officer...I too wanted to be a police officer until I had a revelation at an older age of what the nature of the beast is when it comes to "policing"...

My father didn't discuss things with me like normal parents...he interrogated me...he was constantly digging for a lie...or a false story...he by nature of policing was suspicious of my every anything and treated it as such...I was a great kid and never got into any trouble and grew up respecting police officers as they were part of my family. But he was on the hunt...for something that wasn't there at all times...it was unwarranted suspicion that made me resentful...

My father was an authoritarian control freak...which wasn't an issue and we got along great so long as I NEVER and I mean NEVER challenged him...when I came of age and challenged his "authority" our relationship went so far south we can barely hold a conversation without problems...

He is very judgmental and has almost no ability to empathize or sympathize with anyone who isn't of his "ilk" police officer or military...

as a child naturally I wanted to be a cop/military because that was one of the full proof ways to get my fathers acceptance and approval...I wanted to be in the military and be a prideful good American before I truly knew what any of that even meant...not because I even cared...but because I just wanted approval from my father...

years later I grew an opinion...I saw things differently...and the approval of my father vanished...the acceptance was obligated (because I was his son) and the relationship went south as I became resentful that love from my father came only from accepting his views, his opinions, and his values...

I'm not telling this sob story for anon sympathy but to educate that there is way more involved in being a police officer than fighting crime like the fantasy world likes to illustrate...its hard and it effects way more than your "job duties" it effects your psyche and how you treat your family and raise your kids...it effects your ability to be open and loving, it makes you cold, judgmental, cynical, and guarded even with those whom you claim to love most...

My father when he was young before the military and before the police career...would have never and could have never known how it would change him...As his son of 30 years I can say that being a police officer has defiantly NOT made him a better person...he was always a good person...his policing and military career has made him put that "good person" into a shell behind a shield or badge of judgmental self righteous indignation that to this day keeps him from being truly happy...

I feel sorry for him...

tell your son to think about this...and think about his future...and his family...
edit on 3-10-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
To the forum, I offer my apologies for the fight I just had.

I am sorry.

I understood the message you were trying to get across.

Not all cops are bad and we shouldn't lump them all into one category as "bad'.

We travel for a living and of all the cops we've run across through out the years, only 2 had an attitude but they were short, so we blew it off as the infamous "short man syndrome" with a badge.

For the most part, they've always been helpful and courteous.
Especially appreciate it when they help you when you're broke down on the side of the road.

And yes, we have many cop friends in various states.
Any one nice to us, is our friend regardless of whether they have a badge or not.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
While it is true that not all cops are bad cops it is also true that it is completely fair and just to be suspicious of that cop who pulls you over.
There are enough bad cops out there that every time a civilian interacts with a cop that civilian can`t be sure that they will walk away alive even if they are completely innocent. every time a civilian has an interaction with a cop that civilian is putting his life on the line and rolling the dice and hoping that this particular public servant isn`t one of the bad guys who will shoot them down or beat them to death for no reason.
yeah it`s stressful being a cop but it`s also just as stressful being a civilian who might be unfortunate enough to have to be confronted by a cop and not knowing if they will live to make it home that night,even if they are completely innocent.
If it is true that most people don`t trust the cops it`s not because most people are criminals or have done something wrong it`s because the cops have created a bad reputation for themselves and given the people a reason not to trust them.
If the cops want to re-earn the trust and respect of the people then they have to start cleaning house and give the people a reason to trust them again.You can`t demand trust and respect you have to earn it.

edit on 3-10-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I’m a cop and I will do all I can to discourage my kids from going into law enforcement. It’s a thankless job. Where your city wants to pay you like a garbage man, almost every call you deal with people at their worst or the worst people, and they want to hold you to a standard higher than that of a Doctor.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
My condolences.

I'm sure you did a bang-up job, though. FWIW...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

The town he will be in is a medium size town. nothing like New York or Chicago. So I am thankful that its not a huge city. I'm hoping that will make a difference. Maybe not being in a big city will keep him from changing....I hope

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Thank you. He is a great kid. I am hoping he will change his mind but time will tell. Right now he is absolutely positive that this is what he wants to do. He job shadowed a cop a few years ago and he still wanted to do it. I tried to tell him it would be boring but he doesn't listen to mom

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Yeah, this country is going to the crapper. everyone has bad attitudes, they're selfish, not compassionate at all. I can't imagine what this place will be like when my kids get my age.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Your story broke my heart for you. Your dad missed out on a lot when it comes to family I think. I did tell Derek he will have to turn off the police mindset when he gets home so he can be a good husband and dad. I told him to remember how it was to be a kid and the mistakes he made. I don't want him to expect his kids to be perfect.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBit111

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he shall not depart from it. Not much needs to be said....

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OldSchoolMom

Thank you so much for the reminder! I just need to keep telling myself that instead of worrying about it. I have faith in him. So I need to remember that.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join