It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My son wants to be a cop...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
My son wants to be a cop and I'm trying not to worry. I cant help but notice all the negative police out there now a days and I don't want people to look at him and assume that his is corrupt.

I want to tell you a little bit about him. I have taught him since he was a little guy to always respect others and to be nice to everyone because you don't know what their life is like and they may need someone to talk to or even a just a smile will let them know someone cares. We go and feed the homeless and do what we can, like after an ice storm we helped some elderly women with getting fallen branches out of their yard. in football the chubby boys can't keep up in practice so the coach makes them run after. Derek (my son ) will stay and run with them and encourage them when they don't think they can keep running.

He has said since he's been about 12 years old that this is what he wanted to do. I asked him why and he said "to help people". I tried to tell him most people don't like the police unless they are there to help them and he said " I'm not doing this so people will like me, I'm doing it because I want to help people who need me". I can not tell you how proud I am of my both my kids. My daughter has just become a nurse saying she wanted to help others, so I have been really blessed but I can't help but be anxious about him being a cop. I know it's a little silly to put this on ATS but I just need someone to talk to besides family who just automatically tell me it's gonna be fine. (they don't want me to worry) He is a senior now and he's is still got his mind set on this so I don't see him changing his mind after all these years. Thanks for listening, and I hope I didn't bore you too much.

have a blessed day

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBit111

My little brother grew up to be a cop too.
like your boy he went into it with nothing but good intentions, like most bright-eyed kids he so wanted to change the world for the better.

I don't know what it is about that job? maybe it's spending all day seeing nothing but the darker side of humanity? All I can say is it's changed my little bro and not for the better.

edit on 2-10-2012 by SassyCass because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Sure, there is a fair amount of people out there who don't like cops, but most of those people are people who are real criminals such as drug dealers and the like. For the most part, the real reason why people don't like cops is because they want to break the law and the cops are often there to bust them.

There are also many people who respect cops as well.

There seems to be a lot of corruption among cops, but really there are over 700,000 police in America, and the number of cases of abuse by cops only number in the several hundred. It's very easy to take these cases out of context and make it seem like all cop is being abusive when really it's just a few rotten apples.

There is a good graphic that helps to put it in perspective, when you consider that there are over 700,000 cops in America:

www.alternativerealities.org...

Out of 700,000 cops, you get:

3,445 misconduct reports
4,778 victims
and 258 fatalities.

So really, the odds are pretty good for him, as long as he can keep his nose clean.

But don't be stupid about it. Always keep your eyes and ears open because you never know what's in store for you. Especially if you're in a high crime area.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
You need to straighten the kid out real fast before he turns into a roid rage homicidal maniac with a badge.

Discourage
Discourage
Discourage

That's all I got to say

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SassyCass

My little brother grew up to be a cop too.
like your boy he went into it with nothing but good intentions, like most bright-eyed kids he so wanted to change the world for the better.

I don't know what it is about that job? maybe it's spending all day seeing nothing but the darker side of humanity? All I can say is it's changed my little bro and not for the better.

edit on 2-10-2012 by SassyCass because: (no reason given)

Of course it changed him.. It is a high stress job.. Not only do police officers have to deal with Everyone else's problems.. They also have to deal with there own..

On top of that the constant competition to rise in the ranks.. Plus every time they go out on a call, They are basically on stage and the entire world is watching.. Waiting to call them out on there mistakes..

Often times people forget to look at law enforcement officers As people.. They only choose to see the badge.

CX

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I'm in the same boat, my daughter wants to be one here in the UK. Well she is thinking about it and is looking into it in great detail.

It is a worry, and i've told her that just because i was in the military police, i never want her doing something to please her parents work wise. In fact, i said i'd rather she didn't go in, and have pointed out the not so glam sides to the job.

I think all you can do is let them follow their chosen path and support them either way. If they are brought up well, that goes a long way towards becoming a good cop rather than a thug with a gun.

If you say no, they'll only do it when you have no say in the matter years from now.

I take my hat off to your son and wish him all the best, my daughter said exactly the same thing when i asked why she wanted to join up...she said she wanted to help people. Thats a good way to start in my opinion.

Chances are though they could change their minds a year down the line, you know what kids are like.

CX.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Sure, there is a fair amount of people out there who don't like cops, but most of those people are people who are real criminals such as drug dealers and the like. For the most part, the real reason why people don't like cops is because they want to break the law and the cops are often there to bust them.

Yeah that's it
Everyone who doesn't like cops are criminals. Nice mindset you got there. You sound like a cop yourself. Either that or horribly brainwashed into wanting nanny statism.

It's not the negative experiences many have had, being harassed for absolutely no reason. It's not that cops kill people on a regular basis, beat people, and kill their dogs. All the citizens are criminals, the cops are angels. War is peace too..........
edit on 2-10-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I'm gonna have to agree with EvilSadamClone on this one for the most part..

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Nice try, the truth is the truth, you just don't want to believe it.

And this is called a lack of reading comprehension. I didn't say everyone, I said most people.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SassyCass

Oh no! See, that will devastate me if it makes him change. I have thought about that and racked my brain trying to think of a way to keep that from happening and I've come up with diddly squat. I have heard that this happens quite often, but I do know a few cops who still seem like genuinely good guys still. Even after they've been doing this for several years. Thanks for info. and for replying.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Thank you for the encouragement! I hope most people see things like you do. I don't want people to judge him as soon as the see he's a cop.

link   

Ask him if he wants to be a part of this

OR this

OR this

There are so many examples it's sickning. I don't mean to put all the officers in the same basket, but a very bad picture has been painted of them with good reason. Thos that do harm innocent people should be fired AND charges. And those that do nothing....they're as guilty. Why? Because they won't arrest their Brothers in Blue no matter what the offence. That sounds like accessory to me.

edit on 2-10-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

link   
Mutated Stockholm syndrome or cops themselves.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Thats exactly what I'm afraid of. All the stress and trying to help people and probably being very unappreciated. I don;t want that life for him.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

THank you so much for your reply! It sounds like you have a pretty special daughter. I know I've raised Derek to be the best person he could be, It's just hard to not be able to tell him no. As you said, it will only make him want to do it more. These darn kids! Why don't they do what we want them to do!

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

My anxiety is over the top after watching the shorter videos! My heart is beating so fast just thinking of him dealing with all that crap! I will have to watch the other video tonight. I do believe your right. The good cops are gonna have to take charge and turn in any cop seen doing bad things. Turning a blind eye doesn't help anyone.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Do you think he will automatically be seen as a threat to people because of the negative reports of police? DO you think he will change and if so, why?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Watch the movie Serpico with Al Pacino about the NYPD.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I totally agree. The good officers have two ways to fight back agianst the rotten ones.

1 - Arrest the law breaking officers and bring them up on criminal charges.
2 - Innaction. When an order is given that goes against the charter of rights and/or the constitution, which they pledge to protect, They should not accept those orders and file a greivance against the commanding officer.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I wonder what would happen to cops that do call their corrupt partners out? How would the other cops react to this? Would they be supportive or get revenge on the 'traitor'?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join