It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Moving to USA... Help and info

page: 1

log in


posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:15 PM
Well, have been so fortunate to meet my other half, who lives in The United States...
(Champaign, Illinois)
My wish is to move there, as soon as possible
Have been looking at different sites of information, but am not all sure of how it all come together...

So if anyone happens to know about stuff, like getting a visa to stay, achieving a work permit and such, I would be most grateful...

Here in Denmark, where I have lived all my life, I work pay tax and all of that, and would just love to be a part of the community over there in a natural way...

Am physical Therapist (physiotherapist) by profession, have worked a lot in companies with anti-stress programmes and also meditation courses, done a lot of educating and also worked with healing,
Don't know if that will get me anywhere, regarding getting a work permit

In advance thanks for the help

edit on 1-10-2012 by laffoe because: fixed smiley

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:42 PM
reply to post by laffoe

Start Here:

(Lot's of reading!)

Or Here.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:46 PM
Thanks my friend, much appreciated

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:01 PM
Question,did you find a job there?
There are over 9000 people unemployed there.

The next question,why Champaign, Illinois?

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:05 PM
You shouldn"t have a problem as a physical therapist, there is a big call for them here. Get married to a us citizen and I believe you get to stay by default, however you must still apply for citizenship. If I could I would trade you mine!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:06 PM
You'd have to get licensed here in the United States. AKA you gotta fork over more cash. You also have to find a place to work and have your partner sponsor you. Easiest way would be to marry him or her. If you don't want to do that, firstly apply for a visitors visa, while you are here in the united states you should be looking for a job, when you find a job and get the license/certificate. you should go to the embassy, to change it to a working visa. You're going to need your birth certificate, and passport while you're there. but its all pretty easy, just time consuming.

Finding a job as a physical therapist will be hard, there is a lot of competition nowadays. You can do it if you really want to.

Go to the US embassy in your country that is the easiest solution, you'll find people willing to help you for hours.

Though in all honesty, you should ask your partner to move to Denmark. The U.S. is not doing so well right now, especially when it comes to small businesses. We have insurance up the wazooo. And poverty is spreading, poverty here means more violence.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:28 PM
Send your resume to various places, hospitals, spas etc, if you can get a job at a hospital for example, they will most likely help you with the paperwork. Also I think there is a University there in Champlain, they might have something you could do or teach. Contact any potential employers by e-mail, and let them know to be looking for your resume. Lots of jobs in health care, don't forget the elderly too. Nursing homes often employ physical therapists. I'm sure it will go smoothly

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:01 PM
I used to work for a contractor for Homeland Security processing immigration forms, but it's been a while.

I believe a great many people who wish to immigrate usually go the marriage route. I can't tell you how many visa requests I processed in which some young buck from another country was applying to be with his 60 year old American wife, LOL. I do know that it is a fast-track to getting a green card.

You may want to apply for a visitor's visa first, as you most likely won't marry the woman before meeting her.

Druid42 has the hook-up with the ICE website.

You can also, if an employer wants you badly enough, have them file an I-140 application for an H-1B visa for a foreign worker. Physical therapists are in short supply here in the states, so you may also go that route in order to stay after you get here. The employer has to certify that they have tried to hire a citizen first, but had no luck.

Get your vistor's visa first, is my advice. There are caps on how many visas are issued every quarter from each country, but the problem is usually with countries like Mexico and China. There should be plenty of visas available for citizens of Denmark.

Good luck, and I hope you get here and find happiness. We need more poets and less angry people.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:19 PM
Thankyou so much for all the loving and kind responses...
Will look into them tomorrow and reply
It is deeply appreciated and makes my heart happy

top topics


log in