It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Own New Holiday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Those of you on ATS who know me, know that I am a Christian, I am not an Orthodox Christian, I am not Jewish and certainly not Muslim. I don't follow creeds and oral traditions of the Roman system and do not celebrate saints' days. I know how to understand the deeper spiritual meanings of Jewish holidays, but do not celebrate them. They seem to be much like Catholic ones, it has become a law where people are required to follow them.

But as a Christian, I believe that Christianity should be practical as well. To fully appreciate the Bible, we should seek to learn what God is saying to us and for how we should live, and have a relationship with Him through His Son, Jesus Christ. I learn from the people written in the Bible, what they did, what the result of what they did, and how to apply those lessons in my life. I have always known about this Proverb, and wanted to know how to have a practical understanding of it.

KJV Proverbs 31:10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. 11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. 12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. 13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. 14 She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar. 15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens. 16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard. 17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms. 18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night. 19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff. 20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy. 21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet. 22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple. 23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land. 24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant. 25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come. 26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. 27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. 28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. 29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. 30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised. 31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

I wanted to be that kind of woman, the one God calls virtuous. I know that in Jesus, I can become that. But as someone who seeks Practical Christianity, what can I do? The answer came as this....

February 9 for me is Law of Kindness Day. Some people protested because they thought we are no longer under the law, but the law of kindness has nothing to do with the law of Moses. It is about hospitality, wisdom and grace.

On this day I sought ways to be more kind. I am generally a very kind person, but this was basically a reminder for me. I wore purple that day because it reminded me of the greatest act of kindness for humanity, Jesus gave His life. He wore a purple robe that day and in a cruel way in the worst act of unkindness, the soldiers took it from Him and gambled for it. So I gave money to charities I had not given to before.

Please understand me, I am not creating a new theology. I am simply expressing one day to remind myself of the purpose of charity and kindness. I am never going to be saved by this work, but like James said, I am showing my faith by my works. No one else has to celebrate it with me, this is not a law that anyone must follow.

I think that if we are tired of celebrations for saints or days based in paganism, we should be allowed within our working out our own soul salvation, we should be allowed to celebrate things we believe would bring us closer to Jesus. If any other Christian says to me that they have a day they have set aside that means something to them, I see nothing wrong with it.

My holiday is not based in paganism. It does occur around Tu B'Shevat, but that is not why I chose the day. I am not Jewish so I don't celebrate it. If someone finds comparisons with the Proverbs and Tu B'Shevat, then good, it does not change my view of it. This is not a law for me to have to celebrate it, no one else should have to be compelled to celebrate it. I am not creating a new theology, that is not my intent. I just want people to see that I believe in God and can become what God wants me to become. Is my new holiday required for me? No, it is merely a day of remembrance.

This past February was the first time I celebrated it. I did not go around telling people what I was doing, I did not want people to notice me. Remember the woman with the alabaster box? She ministered to Jesus. This is what we have to remember, the purpose of kindness and hospitality is to minister to others. We should do it every day, but it was nice for me to have a day to remind myself. I know that at times on ATS sometimes I am less than graceful, but people in my real life know that I am kind. And I want to speak in wisdom.

KJV James 3:17But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

I wanted to be like that virtuous woman. I know the works do not save me, but I have a day to remind me the purpose of kindness. All year long I have looked back to that day to remind myself that I took a practical step in Christ, and not just a simple glossing over of the Proverb. The concept became real to me, because the God who said it is real. This is not a requirement or a law, it is recognition that as God sent His Son as the ultimate in kindness toward us, and expects us to show love and kindness to others. That is why I have my own new holiday.

If you have one for you, then celebrate it as you see fit, as long as it draws you closer to God.
edit on 10/1/2012 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
You missed by a month.

en.wikipedia.org...

Random Acts of Kindness Day.

Or maybe you're a bit early.

www.national-awareness-days.com...

National Kindness Day

Or maybe you're right on time.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is no time like the present, they say. So give someone a present: the gift of kindness!

edit on 1-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

How lovely! What a wonderful idea; I hope it quickly and quietly spreads. Wouldn't it be nice if on Feb, 9th the news headlines were to read "Mysterious Women Clad In Purple Perform Unsolicited Acts of Charity All Over the World". They could speculate, but they would have no specific reason as none of the women would tell them why....COOL!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by WarminIndy

How lovely! What a wonderful idea; I hope it quickly and quietly spreads. Wouldn't it be nice if on Feb, 9th the news headlines were to read "Mysterious Women Clad In Purple Perform Unsolicited Acts of Charity All Over the World". They could speculate, but they would have no specific reason as none of the women would tell them why....COOL!!!

At least Yahoo news would not be displaying the latest celebrity mischief.

new topics

top topics

join